BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

F800GS - catalytic smotherer

+2
Marnus
dakardrix
6 posters

Go down

F800GS - catalytic smotherer Empty F800GS - catalytic smotherer

Post by dakardrix 18th February 2009, 16:30

Aprart from wanting to remap the throttle to be smoother, I also want to ruk out the catalytic converter. My imagination is telling me there is a spot where it feels as if something is holding the bike back while accelerating and I am so sure it will feel better without a frog in the throat. I've heard of the 1200 okes doing it, most of them happier - any 800s who've done it?
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

F800GS - catalytic smotherer Empty Re: F800GS - catalytic smotherer

Post by Marnus 18th February 2009, 17:21

I am not aware of someone who's done it to an F800, but I found this interesting read:

http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk wrote:Decat Exhausts

A range of Stainless steel lightweight Decat Exhaust pipes for many popular models. Let's your engine breath and sound like it was designed to.

There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding what a 'Cat' does, what happens when you remove it and the MOT requirements. Here are the answers:

• The catalytic converter (CAT) helps to convert carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. It converts the hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water. It also converts harmful nitrogen oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen.
  • The lambda or O2 sensor, is the key sensor in the engine fuel control feedback loop. The ECU uses the O2 sensor's input to control the amount of O2 in the exhaust gases and balance the fuel mixture, keeping it within a very narrow Air/Fuel ratio band of +/- 0.03% of 1.0 λ
  • The O2 sensor is fitted in the exhaust before the CAT, so removing the CAT will have no effect on the function of the O2 sensor, fuel mixture or the running of the engine other than to let it breathe better.
  • The current MOT test does not include a gas analyser check and as far as we are aware it will not be introduced in the near future, so you are quite within the law to remove the CAT in the UK.

So it does not seem to do anything other than making it sound better, and caring a bit less for the environment. And a bonus is that you can use leaded petrol in case of emergency. Also read this interesting article on the evils of catalytic converters Twisted Evil (except for the fact that it weighs a lot).

I have considered doing it to the 1200GS, but I read up on it and it seems to involve blow torch cutting and welding. Not sure whether the 800GS will require the same "treatment"???
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 19th February 2009, 09:45

Interesting! I’ve also been pondering about removing the CAT from my Dakar as I think it puts unnecessary stress on the engine. I can certainly understand why a 3l V6 4X4 needs to have a CAT (considering the environment), but not a 650cc? Anyway, I believe it also entails the same procedure as the 1200, which I don’t really want to do. Furthermore the feedback I got from more informed people (regarding performance and engine stress) is that it wouldn’t really make a deference…? Suspect
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 19th February 2009, 10:39

Marnus wrote:
So it does not seem to do anything other than making it sound better, and caring a bit less for the environment. And a bonus is that you can use leaded petrol in case of emergency. Also read this interesting article on the evils of catalytic converters Twisted Evil (except for the fact that it weighs a lot).

I have considered doing it to the 1200GS, but I read up on it and it seems to involve blow torch cutting and welding. Not sure whether the 800GS will require the same "treatment"???

Tx, interesting read. Haven't thought about the weight a lot, but sure that might make a difference. One of the (few!) negatives of the 800 is that I still do not have the confidence off-road that I have with the Dakar, and I think a big part is the weight difference - in my head the 800 feels closer to a 1200 weight-wise than a Dakar, so a few kg's less might just push it to the right side of the boundary.

I am also big on saving the environment, and yes, every bit helps, but I read somewhere that all the bikes in Europe(?) together in one year do not emit as much bad stuff as one cross Atlantic trip by a Boeing. So... scratch

When I bought the bike my friendly salesman told me they can do the removal for about R400 or so, cause yes, it does involve cutting and welding. If I remember correctly he said it adds about 3kW of power or so and the guarantee won't be affected if they do it (don't quote him/them or I on this!!) cyclops
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 19th February 2009, 12:38

dakardrix wrote:One of the (few!) negatives of the 800 is that I still do not have the confidence off-road that I have with the Dakar, and I think a big part is the weight difference - in my head the 800 feels closer to a 1200 weight-wise than a Dakar, so a few kg's less might just push it to the right side of the boundary.

I found the exact opposite when I had the 800. It behaved a lot better than my 650, and it was WAY easier to ride, even on the harder techical stuff I did on it on the Saturday. It is heavier than the 650, but much easier to handle.

My 2c
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelW 19th February 2009, 13:21

I ride an 1150GS, and also decided to ditch the Converter after not being able to refuel with unleaded at Kranskop in KZN. Bought and fitted a BMW 'Y'- piece and a Stealth end can. The 'Y'-piece makes provision for the Lambda sensor, so no harm no foul. There is about a 2kw increase between 3500 - 4500 rpm, but the kicker is that at 130-140kph, I can travel roughly 30kms further on a tank of cream soda. Not to mention the 7kg weight saving!
MichaelW
MichaelW
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 112
My bike : 1150 GS
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 19th February 2009, 14:00

Sharkie wrote:
dakardrix wrote:One of the (few!) negatives of the 800 is that I still do not have the confidence off-road that I have with the Dakar, and I think a big part is the weight difference - in my head the 800 feels closer to a 1200 weight-wise than a Dakar, so a few kg's less might just push it to the right side of the boundary.

I found the exact opposite when I had the 800. It behaved a lot better than my 650, and it was WAY easier to ride, even on the harder techical stuff I did on it on the Saturday. It is heavier than the 650, but much easier to handle.

My 2c

I agree in terms of balance - the bike is easier on open gravel and smoothish single track/jeep track. Tight doen't matter. It's the rocky stuff where you can't 'open up' and have to climb rocks slowly (where the stiff clutch and jerky throttle really challenge me) and those places where I come to a sudden standstill with my foot in the air and only one leg to support, and pulling away from there, and so on - that's where I miss the Dakar.

But I love the bike!!!!!! cheers Those are just challenges that I have to overcome.

That's why I think the remapping is needed to remove the jerkiness. The CAT removal is just for general health (the bike, not the world). Now how to change that clutch to be easier??
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 27th March 2009, 13:33

So the cat's gone and the mouse is boss - triple click!! cheers

Sound is only a little bit deeper, nothing to write home about. Performance - well, very subjective but I think I feel the difference most between 5,000-8,000 revs. I remapped at the same time, so overall it feels smoother and different.

Done by Bavarian, was Lenny's first 800GS to do! So hopefully the R&D is done for the rest. Welding job doesn't look the greatest, but as long as it holds up I'm happy. Like my bike to look rough and tough (one of the things I don't like about BMW DS bikes, they look too nancy pancy for me Wink )

Cost was more than I anticipated. Was told last year it would cost R400, was charged nearly R800.

Overall I think I'm happy, will watch the fuel consumption with interest.
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 27th March 2009, 13:37

Many happy catless km's!!!

You should have done the de-cat and the remapping at different times to get the full effect of both... me thinks
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 27th March 2009, 14:06

You're right - just can't stand the schlep of taking the bike in again and again, been there enough over the last two years!
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 27th March 2009, 15:49

So do you now fill up with LRP? scratch
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 27th March 2009, 20:04

No, but I can if I must. Anyone can use leaded, your cat is just deemed useless the moment you do it. Apparantly...
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 27th March 2009, 20:37

Marnus wrote:.........(except for the fact that it weighs a lot)............

This is a myth.

In the recent past I have handled two cats myself – the F800ST and the K1300S

The weight of the F800ST’s cat is insignificantly low…….I would say no more than 200/300 gram. I have weighed the can of the K1300S which includes the cat. Although the 1300’s cat is double the size of the 800, the combined weight of the can, cat and cloth Wink is only 3.7kg. Would say the cat is no more than 300/400 gram

F800GS - catalytic smotherer DSC_2863
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down