BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

4 Corners - October 2008

+13
Perske
DaveS
Andre
steyngert
Sias
LeRoy Olivier
GSing
Enduro
GSlady
JR
gone away
ShawnR
Admin
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

4 Corners - October 2008 - Page 2 Empty Re: 4 Corners - October 2008

Post by JR 30th July 2008, 11:15

Rejuvenated wrote:.......Strong winds plus the combination of speed results in much shorter than usual distances covered on a tank.........

so by implication you are saying low speed = longer distance on a tank..........should try it some day Wink

wait.....how low?
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Perske 30th July 2008, 11:49

Rejuvenated wrote:
Andre wrote:Ask Dot what happened to her! Just in case, travel with a plastic syphen pipe.

Luckily a camel pack pipe has many uses! Wink

Yes it was my syphen pipe ... i can clearly remember the taste of water after that episode.. What a Face But that is what make memories. It was my pleasure to be at your service Dot.
Perske
Perske
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 113
My bike : 1200GSA
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Perske 30th July 2008, 11:58

gone away wrote:
LeRoy Olivier wrote:If it was not so close to the Sept 08 Train Trip and the Nov 08, 12 year anniversary trip we would have loved to come along. Nevertheless - we will do our 2 remaining points sometime. LeRoy

What points u need? I know that Danie Peach needs Kosi Bay and may do it December 13- 16.

.????. what you mean sir?? have kosi..been there.
Perske
Perske
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Perske 30th July 2008, 13:02

Sias wrote:I was wondering... Is there a specific reason why not in Kozi Bay itself?

Depends on your type of bike, tires, rider skills and loading that you carry.

When I did the trip from Cape la gullas to Kozi (from the second to the 3rd point on my golden run) I planned to stay at Kozi itself. I was totally uninformed of the area and accommodation possibilities. Like Andre I did not make to much accommodation plans ahead and did the day shift according to weather etc. I was leaving the morning late from Margate and I had roughly 570 km to go to Kozi. I started late as I had to wait for shops to open to buy a rain suite. The rain was bucketing in a Freestate storm style. At Durban the rain stopped and I could pick up the speed again. I was pushing to be there before dark as I dreamt of sipping on a cocktail somewhere on the beach and watch the sun go down. Evil or Very Mad

Done the normal photo shoot on arrival at the boarder post and saw that it was very late (1 hour before sunset). Got some directions from people with barely any English knowledge and they pointed me towards a SAND road. The road appeared to be very rideble from the tar road so off I went. The dream was still a reality! Very soon I was started to struggle in lose sand. Like I said. 1150 GS with almost slick dual purpose tires and a fair amount of luggage... not so nippy. bounce

Soon I was next to the bike pushing... and spinning. Later in only my boots and pants...still doing the same thing...but sweating like Os by the end of a match. The locals came from the bushes to look at this commotion. Again in BROCKEN English they assured me that the lodge was just behind the 3 rd dune...

Later a small crowd of 4 locals was assisting me in pushing when I got stuck. The final pitfall came when I encountered a small uphill and very lose sand. The bike came to a total standstill...I mean parked with the back wheel buried up to the axel and my anchorage afro could move me no further. What was said to me at this point would have been funny... but not on that day. "SIR...NOW PUT REVERESE" lol! I tried to explain that there was no reverse but ....

I desided there and then to make a u turn and not take any chances of getting to a place where I will have to abandon my bike. It took me another 200 odd km to get to a decent place to stay in Pongola (came there after dark). So my advice is to do a bit more reasurch than what i did.
Perske
Perske
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 30th July 2008, 13:16

Perske wrote:
Rejuvenated wrote:
Andre wrote:Ask Dot what happened to her! Just in case, travel with a plastic syphen pipe.

Luckily a camel pack pipe has many uses! Wink

Yes it was my syphen pipe ... i can clearly remember the taste of water after that episode.. What a Face But that is what make memories. It was my pleasure to be at your service Dot.

errm, correction - was her camel pack 'siphon' pipe. Surprised
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 30th July 2008, 13:17

Perske wrote:
.????. what you mean sir?? have kosi..been there.

Realised that after posting - it is actually Mike White that needs Kosi Bay.
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre 30th July 2008, 18:11

I think it is easier to just take a Jerry can. Lots of space on your GS Danie. Then you can drink uncontaminated water!...Andre
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 334
My bike : R1200RT, R1100S, Yamaha TW200 (also want the new S1000RR!!)
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 30th July 2008, 22:59

The main reason for NOT staying at or near Kosi Bay is that it is an endemic malaria area. Pongola is higher and colder, so no Mozzies.... Very Happy

You would be better served to ride further down to Sodwana, if you time your trip right.
BTW, the road from Jozini up to the newly tarred R22 from Hluhluwe to the border has seen better days...as it was the last time I rode it 5-odd years ago.

It was probably the worst piece of road we travelled during our 6700km trip in March. affraid
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre 31st July 2008, 07:03

From my recollection the Jozini road was not that bad when we did it in 2006. Maybe it was resurfaced since Richard used it. Can anyone who did it with me remember? The road surface from the border down towards Sudwana is good..Andre
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Perske 31st July 2008, 09:28

Andre wrote:From my recollection the Jozini road was not that bad when we did it in 2006. Maybe it was resurfaced since Richard used it. Can anyone who did it with me remember? The road surface from the border down towards Sudwana is good..Andre

Andre as I remembered there was a few potholes in the forming and some of them was "fixed" by the locals by compacting soil in it - not a long term fix. But a bigger problem is the sinkholes. I was warned that on a previous trip that one of the tob boxes of a 650 broke off. That is unheard of traveling on a tar road. Further more the road does not have a reserve shoulder and no fencing to keep cattle and live stock from crossing the road. Combine that with dense bush close to the road and you have a good reason for being very cautious.
Perske
Perske
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 31st July 2008, 17:00

We were there the weekend before last and the road between Jozini and the boarder is in pretty bad shape. Lots of potholes. And half of them are filled with sand and grass which results in these sand piles. Don't know what was worse to dodge, Potholes or sand piles?

But yes, the road from the boarder to Sodwana is fine!
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre 2nd August 2008, 16:18

Thanks Danie & Sias. Obviously my memory is not that good any more. However, I think it is not enough reason not to go there. Jozini dam is worthwhile seeing and if you know the road is bad, you have an advantage above those who don't. Even the good road from the border down to Sudwana has no fences and one should be very carefull.
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe 3rd August 2008, 21:27

Enduro wrote:
ShawnR wrote:Enduro

What dates have you got planned? I was suppose to do the 4 corners with Bucc in 2006 but was unable to, so he went solo that year. I am also thinking of doing the 4 corners in Sept. I would like to possibly join you guys if there is space also in memory of Bucc

We haven't decided on dates yet- will choose dates that suit everyone wanting to go- so far myself and two others from TB - You are more than welcome to join - the more the merrier and safer!! If everyone drops out i am DEFINATELY going -just need to get a GPS before then cos let me warn you I can get lost in my own backyard ;-(

+1 on the dates, although you'll prolly struggle to accommodate all ... will be keen to join if possible, have done all except the KZN leg, good fun !!
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 148
My bike : K1200S Indigo Blue
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe 3rd August 2008, 21:33

Admin wrote:Reply by Gert Steyn

We did the trip over 11 days (10 nights), and due to some technical difficulties on my clutch on one day and with a tire on one of the other bikes on the following day, we only did 600km's over these few days. The result was that the other days was just a tad too long. I would also recommend 500km trips - BUT try and get 1500km under the belt in the first two days. From Gauteng to Alexanderbay the roads are straight, fairly good and extremely monotonous. Don't waste too much time on these roads.

Agree on the 1st 2 days ... start at sunrise and nail-it. I stopped in Upington last time on day 1 and its easy to ride to A-bay and sleep in PN the 2nd eve. I made the "mistake" of stopping at Augrabies for a overnighter in-between as I have never been, wouldn't do it again ..

Also don't underestimate the wear and tear of this "faster" 20% of the trip, couldn't make my planned tyre change in Kimberly coming back from Struisbaai, so had to sleep in Beaufort-Wes and have a tyre couriered from Stellenbosch, but so we learn Wink
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 3rd August 2008, 22:59

No need to nail-it...! Wink

Rise one hour before dawn.
Be packed and ready to ride at sunrise - as soon as you can safely read the road without your headlight. (say 07:00)
Ride for two hours or 250kms without a stop.
Fill up and have breakfast (30 min) (say 09:30)
Repeat two hours ride.
Have early lunch and rest (1 hour) (say (12:30)
Repeat two hour ride. (Say 14:30)
If you are camping, you have done 3x250=750km and it's time to find your campsite - you've got to be up an hour before dawn, remember!?
If you're credit-card camping in a hotel/lodge/motel, phone ahead and then you can safely do another 1-2 hours of riding after a 30min break.
Sleep
Without punishing yourself unduly, you can safely ride 750-1000km in one day using this regime. Smile
(Your pillion may NOT be able to maintain this pace for more than two days, so make adjustments in your timetable...!)

As far as the AlexBay trip is concerned, I agree that Upington is a good sleep-over on night 1. (Book a hotel/lodge/B+B)
Port Nolloth is also a good call for night 2. Ride in to PN, ditch your panniers at a B+B/hotel and ride to A-Bay directly. (Fill up there if you're going for Gold)
The ride back to PN is better if completed before the light goes.
BTW - that beer in celebration of the first point with just two days ride behind you is VERY welcome...! Very Happy
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre 4th August 2008, 07:07

Joe wrote:I made the "mistake" of stopping at Augrabies for a overnighter in-between as I have never been, wouldn't do it again ..
When I did the 4 corners in 2006 with Bucc, we left Upington early morning and had brunch at Augrabies. Orange river was in full "flood" and was an amazing sight. Still made it to Port Nollith in good time to drop the luggage and make the ride to Alexander Bay and be back for a sundowner. Granted, it was in March, so the sun set quite late. Very Happy
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe 4th August 2008, 20:30

Andre wrote:
Joe wrote:I made the "mistake" of stopping at Augrabies for a overnighter in-between as I have never been, wouldn't do it again ..
When I did the 4 corners in 2006 with Bucc, we left Upington early morning and had brunch at Augrabies. Orange river was in full "flood" and was an amazing sight. Still made it to Port Nollith in good time to drop the luggage and make the ride to Alexander Bay and be back for a sundowner. Granted, it was in March, so the sun set quite late. Very Happy

Yip, that is a better approach. I did the quick ride to the falls, but then slept there, so had an aftrnoon to laze about, suppose that is not a bad thing, given that you are on holiday after all !
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Enduro 4th August 2008, 20:37

Can someone please tell me the status meanings- gold , sliver etc? and post the stops for the nights if you want to do the trip in 10 to14 days? Sorry guys I am trying to put an itinary together so can plan the exact leave required?What would you think it would cost too? I had a kinda budget but with petrol price as it is now need to relook at it. what do you suggest : B&B or tents? Can fit tent on bike etc and will probably take it with anyway just in case!I get the first two nights according to the post above- Upington and then onto Port nolloth via augrabies , but thereafter?Like the early morning options and will plan to do close to 1000km a day- not a problem as i am used to that kind of mileage in a day - have done close to 1500 km sometimes but know i need to look at a tyre somewhere too so want to order that before hand as well.

Enduro
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 10
My bike : 2008 BMW 1200ST

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 4th August 2008, 20:42

Enduro

You receive Extreme gold when you visit all 4 corners (Alexanderbay, Cape Agulhas, Kosibay and Pontdrif) on the same bike within 21 days. You need to submit a portfolio of evidence that includes photos of you and your bike at the border posts, petrol and tollgate slips that indicates the date that you have been in the area. If you have a pillion, he/she will also receive an extreme award - Extreme Gold Pillion.

The silver is pretty much the same, except there is no time limit to getting to the four points. You also do not have to be on the same bike. Your pillion will also receive an Extreme Silver pillion award.
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 234
My bike : R1200 GS Adventure
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 4th August 2008, 20:45

Hi Enduro,

Check this report on some members doing a GOLD trip.

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za/articles/RichardH%20Gold%202008/index.html

Regards
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 4th August 2008, 20:48

Do a combination of B&B and camping - a nice balance is half tent half B&B. Do not book accommodation beforehand, it allows you a bit of freedom in your ride. In 14 days you never need to do 1000km a day. We did it in 10 days, and only the second day (Kuruman to Alexanderbay and overnighting in Port Nolloth) was just over a 1000km. The rest was never above 800, and sometimes as little as 300km.

The cost should be in the region of R4000, your new tire excluded. This is obviously dependent on the quality of B&B you require. Our most expensive overnight was R250pp, the cheapest about R180 pp.

Have a look at the trip report by Richard Hussey - I was part of that trip and you are welcome to contact either myself or Richard for further info. Richard is also on this forum quite often and has extensive longdistance touring experience.
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Enduro 4th August 2008, 20:55

Thanks! will look for trip report! I am getting very excited about the whole thing - and a little nervous as this is a huge planning thing for me- wish Bucc was here :-( but want to do this and make him proud!!!

Enduro
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 4th August 2008, 20:57

Hi Enduro

See the following link for full explanation on BMW Pretoria webpage:

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za/club/extreme/rules.html
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Enduro 4th August 2008, 21:14

Ok so next question - since i am definately going to do this i had better become a member?? where and how do i sign up??

Enduro
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 4th August 2008, 21:21

you can e-mail the webmaster at dani@bmwclubs.co.za, she will give you all the details. But seeing as she is very active on the site, she will probably read this within the next 12 hours and contact you through the site or the email address that you supplied in the profile.
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down