BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Some experience on 4 corners

2 posters

Go down

What do you think of an Extreme Ride award?

Some experience on 4 corners Vote_lcap50%Some experience on 4 corners Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 7 ]
Some experience on 4 corners Vote_lcap21%Some experience on 4 corners Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Some experience on 4 corners Vote_lcap14%Some experience on 4 corners Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
Some experience on 4 corners Vote_lcap14%Some experience on 4 corners Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
Some experience on 4 corners Vote_lcap0%Some experience on 4 corners Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 14

Some experience on 4 corners Empty Some experience on 4 corners

Post by steyngert 14th July 2008, 12:21

Thanks a lot to Richard Hussey for his trip report on the 4 corners. You can find it here: http://www.bmwclubs.co.za/articles/RichardH%20Gold%202008/index.html.

This was my first trip of real significant distance (6700km's), and needless to say, I will do things differently in future.
Firstly, I took along FAR too many clothes. I bargained on wearing a fresh shirt, socks and underwear for a day, showering wherever we stopped, and then donning another fresh pair of everything for the next morning. Reality was different - I tended to stay in the same clothes I wore while riding, and only changed into a fresh set the next morning (Ja, I know.... But we were just a bunch of guys, OK?).

I was the only rider without a Scala rider system or I-Pod on the bike. I was therefore forced to be content with my own company (not a bad thing necessarily) and my own singing voice (and that, I can assure you, is a bad thing...). The first thing I did when I came back was to buy me a Scala rider system to link to my Zumo. Will never do without it again. We were three bikes with GPS's, with Peter's GPS malfunctioning the day before we were to start. It was a frustrating experience for him, I can tell.

Something I learnt before I went on this trip was to know precisely where you packed everything, and repack everything in the same manner. This is not only applicable for long trips, but for everyday ones as well. My wallet goes in the bottom right pocket, cellphones in the top left. House keys, lighter and cigarettes in the bottom left pocket. Even wearing thick gloves I know what I will find when I start delving into a particular pocket. Through a stroke of luck I thought maybe a pair or two of cycling shorts will come in handy - I am so glad I did! Halfway through the trip two other members went looking for a cycling shop to buy some padded shorts...

The tank bag is only for loose things. Keep some cable ties handy in there, some water, an extra map book if you want to browse through it at a stop, an extra pair of gloves (why, I don't know, but it feels right). Furthermore, a digital tyre pressure guage (the ones at the garages are not that reliable), ear plugs (if that is your thing), and a cap (if you are unfortunate enough to suffer from helmet-hair).

I want to also take this opportunity to thank my fellow riders for a fantastic trip - it is awesome to be riding with people with such relaxed demeanours, with a clear understanding of safety and a passion for motorcycling. As Richard said, there were times of adversity and a bit of head-clashing, but we managed to overcome them very quickly. I would ride with any and all of them again at the drop of a hat.

The trick of doing 200-250km before breakfast works like a charm. You will be surprised to see how quickly the kilometers disappear below your wheels if you stick to this regime. Try to avoid to pre-book accommodation - it is so much more fun to drive without an immediate destination.

Oh yes - it does cost quite a bit more than you budget for initially, so add another 20-30% to the budget, just in case...

Will I do it again? For sure, but I agree with Richard - 10 days is a bit quick, 18-20 days will be a very leisurely trip with lots of photos.

I have some ideas for an Extreme Platinum ride, if any of the club administrators are interested...
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 234
My bike : R1200 GS Adventure
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

Some experience on 4 corners Empty Re: Some experience on 4 corners

Post by Richard H 14th July 2008, 20:01

Rolling Eyes It is said that to plan better for a bike trip, put all the clothes and all the money you plan to take along on the bed....Shocked

...then pack half the clothes and twice the money! Cool

Further challenges:
Idea
We've thought of adding the South-Western, South-Eastern and North-Eastern points...possibly the highest and lowest points...
Another one could be nine provincial capitals...
Izak's idea of the lighthouses tour...
tongue
The Committee's always open to suggestions ! sunny
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Some experience on 4 corners Empty Re: Some experience on 4 corners

Post by steyngert 14th July 2008, 22:23

This is probably better suited for the GS Challenge topic - but how about a Extreme GS rider award?

Suggestions:
Silver - 3 or more Challenges at Orange level
Gold - 3 or more challenges at Red Level
Platinum - 5 or more challenges at Red level
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 234
My bike : R1200 GS Adventure
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down