BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Solo Rider 1200GS aux fuel solution

+2
dakardrix
Richard H
6 posters

Go down

Solo Rider 1200GS aux fuel solution Empty Solo Rider 1200GS aux fuel solution

Post by Richard H 27th April 2009, 17:52

I ride solo and I've been looking for a cost-effective viable solution for extending the range of my standard 1200GS...
...and I'm NOT going to buy an Adventure tank either !
So I saw a neat little 'TrimTech' 5litre fuel can in the shop (Game/Metro/BuildersWarehouse) for R99 a pop.
My mind started working and...
It fits like it was made for the 1200GS !Very Happy

Suspect (No, I don't market / work for /own TrimTech)

Solo Rider 1200GS aux fuel solution 1200GSfuelSoloR

Straps are from BMW shipping crates (talk to your dealer) that secured your bike en route from Germany aus...
Plenty of space for the legs and no need to remove the pillion pegs either.

I like - what say you?

Solo Rider 1200GS aux fuel solution 1200GSfuelSoloF

10 litres stowed low down like this will have very little effect on handling.

Solo Rider 1200GS aux fuel solution DSCN4454

The detail pic shows how the straps are routed through the frame so they do not cause damage the rear brake fluid feed on the right side of the frame.
At the footpeg, the strap goes THROUGH the slot in the plate where the pillion footpeg rests, then around the outside of the footpeg to clamp it up against the fuel can.

There is plenty of clearance from the zortparp on the left side, so I don't foresee problems there either.

All that's left is to find a suitable spot for the separate fuel spout(s).
Cool
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Solo Rider 1200GS aux fuel solution Empty Re: Solo Rider 1200GS aux fuel solution

Post by dakardrix 27th April 2009, 18:45

I've seen someone putting the can on top of the foot peg (folded out) and then secure in a similar way. Looks more 'right' and upright for that matter. Good and cheap idea... my right brain just wants one on each side to complete the symmetry... alien

Last edited by dakardrix on 27th April 2009, 19:33; edited 1 time in total
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Solo Rider 1200GS aux fuel solution Empty Re: Solo Rider 1200GS aux fuel solution

Post by Marnus 27th April 2009, 19:04

Excellent, thanks for the tip!

So when are you putting reflective tape on the petrol can??? What a Face
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 27th April 2009, 19:04

Makro also sells 10lt cans that look similar that have a flexable spout that fits inside the nozzle. Just unscrew the cap and take it out when you want to use it.

Last edited by Rejuvenated DaveS on 27th April 2009, 21:14; edited 1 time in total
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 27th April 2009, 20:50

dakardrix wrote:Good and cheap idea... my right brain just wants one on each side to complete the symmetry... alien
I REALLY tried, but I just couldn't get a photo of both sides at the same time... cyclops

marnus wrote:So when are you putting reflective tape on the petrol can???
I didn't think I needed it, but you've changed my mind .... Very Happy

Rejuvenated DaveS wrote: Makro also sells 10lt cans that look similar that have a flixable spout that fits inside the nozzle.
Just unscrew the cap and take it out when you want to use it.
I have one of those, Dave (rode 2700kms with one strapped behind me on the Around Lesotho tour if you remember) but they are too big for the foot-peg location...I tried it already !
Actually, the filler tube is the only thing that I would suggest they improve on... Cool
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 27th April 2009, 21:15

Richard H wrote:
dakardrix wrote:Good and cheap idea... my right brain just wants one on each side to complete the symmetry... alien
I REALLY tried, but I just couldn't get a photo of both sides at the same time... cyclops

Time to get a cell phone camera with panoramic view! I knew mine would prove valuable one day... afro
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 27th April 2009, 21:19

This is what got my mind working:

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-180-peg-packer-2-gallon-unit.aspx

At $120 EACH(+shipping++...) I thought my version was a better solution...
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony R 27th April 2009, 23:41

For interest go to bikegear.co.za and have a look at new items. They sell a collapsible fuel cell that can take 7 litres. Looks interesting.

Tony R
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 225
My bike : Sadly no bike. Finances forced the sale of my Tigger.
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 28th April 2009, 13:40

Tony R wrote:For interest go to bikegear.co.za and have a look at new items. They sell a collapsible fuel cell that can take 7 litres. Looks interesting.

Rolling Eyes Been there before...
I did the math: 2x680=1360+98.50=R1458.50 for 14 litres capacity.
My solution: 3xR99=R297 for 15 litres (one more can strapped on top of the seat base or the top-box)

I'm also concerned as to where and how you secure the fuel bladders to the bike...?
At 20% of the 'fuel bladder' option, I am happy with my 'el cheapo' solution... Very Happy
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by JCM 28th April 2009, 22:09

Anyone considered the (fire) danger here when falling or get bumped into....especially with plastic cans?

PETROL IS DANGEROUS and accidents happen where/when you least expect it.......believe me, can attest to that!!

I must be the only guy in the country who got burnt with petrol in his own swimming pool. After 28% first and second degree burns all over my body and face, nine days in ICU, and a hospital bill of R99 800-00 three years ago I have a fairly good idea what a few liters of petrol can do.

For the intended purposes proposed here I would suggest, whatever you do, do not use a plastic can.
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 154
My bike : R1200RT
[Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!]
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 29th April 2009, 03:01

Thanks JCM for bringing the sobering reality into the debate! I guess it's a situation of once bitten, twice shy. But the same holds true for someone that has run out of petrol in the middle of nowhere Very Happy

I guess it's striking a balance between risk and return.

So with the swimming pool incident, was there alcohol involved? Suspect
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by JCM 29th April 2009, 11:42

Marnus wrote:Thanks JCM for bringing the sobering reality into the debate! I guess it's a situation of once bitten, twice shy. But the same holds true for someone that has run out of petrol in the middle of nowhere Very Happy

I guess it's striking a balance between risk and return.

So with the swimming pool incident, was there alcohol involved? Suspect

No No No
............NOT AT ALL.......early one Saturday morning (8am) in 'n ou swembad wat ons besig was om toe te gooi........the rest of the story too long to explain here.

Anyway, after 9 days in ICU on extra heavy doses of morphine and phetadine I also know what "bloekomhonde" (dogs made from bluegum trees/leaves) look like! I also know that I don't (as I previously thought) want to be cremated anymore....it's simply to sore ...... en wat as mens wakker word as hulle besig is met jou!!?? affraid ......just an ordinary begrafnis for me one day, thank you!!

Enough about my own experience.....the message I'm trying to convey is that petrol is dangerous and if we need to take extra petrol along, rather use a small Jerry can or two.....I think 15liter Jerry cans made from pressed steel are available.
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 29th April 2009, 20:02

I too have experienced the dangers of petrol in my youth.
It was in 1966 and I did not get burned myself, but a friend did.
I had the smell of burning human flesh on my hands for over a month.
To top it all off, the (metal) petrol can that caused the problem was EMPTY...!
study Petrol as a liquid will burn.
1 part petrol vapour mixed with 15 parts of air EXPLODES.
(It does that every time a spark plug fires in your engine.)

Yes, there are risks in carrying fuel - in plastic or metal containers containers.
I do not advocate using thin 5 litre recycled oil containers, but these are fuel containers meeting internationally approved standards.
If anyone has doubts, by all means don't use them.

But also do consider this - that nice big 32litre GS Adventure tank that you see just behind the roll bars is...

...plastic! scratch
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by JCM 29th April 2009, 20:41

RICHARD SAYS:
But also do consider this - that nice big 32litre GS Adventure tank that you see just behind the roll bars is...

...plastic!

Aaaaaaa, Richard.......you've got me with this one! Ag, maybe we should just be careful with petrol, whatever we do.........!! Perhaps I'm over- reacting after the skrik with the petrol explosion in the swimming pool.
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 30th April 2009, 15:38

BTW - I'm not playing down the danger of fuel at all..!

But in the case of my friend in 1966, his clothing had petrol vapour permeating it from carrying the can about.
He approached a recently burned area of khakibos, tipped the EMPTY can over and some embers that he accidentally kicked up ignited the vapour trail.
The can exploded in his hands and his vapour saturated clothing went up in a ball of flame.
It is not a sight I will ever forget! affraid

(Avoiding fuel vapour is why I am reluctant to have fuel directly behind me on the seat !)
I do not know what your incident in the swimming pool involved, but fuel vapour accumulating in a confined area (like a swimming pool?) is a real hazard!
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by JCM 30th April 2009, 20:12

RICHARD SAYS:
I do not know what your incident in the swimming pool involved, but fuel vapour accumulating in a confined area (like a swimming pool?) is a real hazard!

This is preciseley what happened......the whole 11 meter swimmingpool got satutated with fuel vapour without me realising that......and when the pool exploded, I happened to be in the middle!! affraid Will tell you when I see you...........enough for now.
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down