BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Going to the Buff/Bikefest? Road conditions - Be aware!

+3
DaveS
MichaelW
Admin
7 posters

Go down

Going to the Buff/Bikefest? Road conditions - Be aware! Empty Going to the Buff/Bikefest? Road conditions - Be aware!

Post by Admin 12th March 2010, 09:55

Chris Hanekom provided us with the following traffic reports:

Northern Cape
Road name: N1 : Both Ways
Report: Roadworks with stop / go controls 35kms north of Three Sisters towards Colesberg
Severity: Level 5

Free State
Road name: N1 : Both Ways
Report: Construction of a second carriageway is underway between Bloemfontein and the Verkeerdevlei Toll Plaza - reduced speed limits apply through the works section
Severity: Level 4

Road name: R34
Report: The carriageway is badly potholed between Frankfort and Heilbron - drive with care
Severity: Level 4

Road name: R30
Report: Major roadworks with at three locations in the Brandfort area - speed limit reduction apply through the works area

Road name: N1
Report: Roadworks with two set of stop / go controls between Springfontein and the Orange River - expect waiting times of up to 20 minutes at each control

Eastern Cape
Road name: Mount Road
Report: The off-ramp to the M4 southbound carriageway has been closed for roadworks until further notice - expect delays and diversions in the area

Be aware and be safe!

Last edited by Admin on 17th March 2010, 17:28; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za

Back to top Go down

Going to the Buff/Bikefest? Road conditions - Be aware! Empty Re: Going to the Buff/Bikefest? Road conditions - Be aware!

Post by MichaelW 12th March 2010, 12:16

Thanks for the heads-up Admin!
Will now have to change my route. Surprised
MichaelW
MichaelW
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 112
My bike : 1150 GS
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Going to the Buff/Bikefest? Road conditions - Be aware! Empty Re: Going to the Buff/Bikefest? Road conditions - Be aware!

Post by DaveS 12th March 2010, 13:54

He He - guess myself, Wahl and Dorothy miss all this.... Twisted Evil
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Going to the Buff/Bikefest? Road conditions - Be aware! Empty Going to the Buff/Bikefest? Be aware!

Post by loox 12th March 2010, 21:13

I will update again on wednesday at 12 pm -Chris Hanekom A.K.A Loox
loox
loox
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 53
My bike : R1100s
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 13th March 2010, 02:41

scratch The route via Graaf Reinet looks better for both directions, then...?

It also keeps us out of Beaufort West - where the local traffic bobbies see a motorcycle as a way to make easy money. The last time I rode through there, they stopped EVERY motorcycle for a full check. It caused a delay of almost an hour and I promised myself - and the traffic cop - I would do no further business in that town. No food, petrol or curios. Mad

(I also said I wouldn't even urinate in Beaufort West - and so far I haven't yet!)
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 13th March 2010, 07:00

Richard H wrote:
(I also said I wouldn't even urinate in Beaufort West - and so far I haven't yet!)

I think you should at least make an exception here!! Twisted Evil
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 13th March 2010, 08:33

Just off the AA road conditions website:

"The R30 and R34 between Bloemfontein and Kroonstad (via Brandfort and Welkom) were officially named the ZR Mahabane Toll Road."

Now we know why the road is being 'repaired'... Rolling Eyes

Looks more and more like we will have to find GS routes around the toll-gates... Shocked
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 17th March 2010, 17:27

(posted by loox Wednesday 17 March)

loox wrote:
National Route N1
Section Beaufort-West to Three-Sisters
Distance 97 km
Description Single carriageway with paved shoulders. Stopping places are provided at regular intervals.
Condition of Road Good.
Comments Routine road maintenance teams may be encountered

National Route N1
Section Three-Sisters to Colesberg
Distance 236 km
Description Single carriageway with paved shoulders. Stopping places are provided at regular intervals.
Condition of Road Fair to Good.
Comments Construction works are in progress 30km north of Three Sisters. Motorists l can encounter up to two traffic control by means of Stop/Go measures during the day and traffic signal units at night with waiting periods on average 15 minutes.

National Route N1
Section Orange River (Provincial Boundary) to Bloemfontein (Sydenham Interchange)
Distance 175 km
Description Predominantly, a two lane single carriageway. The full length of the road has wide paved shoulders.
Condition of Road Fair to satisfactory.
Comments Section 13: between Springfontein and Orange River bridge, has recently been rehabilitated and is in an excellent condition.
A new contract for the road reconstruction has been let between Springfontien (Section 13, km36) and Trompsburg (Section 14, km19). Stop/Go control in place, with expected delays of up to twenty minutes.

National Route N1
Section Bloemfontein to Kroonstad
Distance 189 km
Description Around Bloemfontein, the road is a four-lane dual carriageway with wide paved shoulders; otherwise it is a two-lane single carriageway with paved shoulders and passing lanes on steep gradients. The last 10 km, known as the Kroonstad Bypass, is a four-lane dual carriageway.
Condition of Road Generally good with the exception of the construction area mentioned below.
Comments Construction of a second carriageway is underway between Bloemfontein and the Verkeerdevlei toll plaza. While two lanes are open to traffic, restriction of shoulder width and carriageway cross-overs will be encounterd in construction zones. A reduced speed limit is in force along the entire construction area and motorists must be aware of construction traffic entering and exiting work zones
Motorists should be alert to pedestrian and heavy vehicle activity in Ventersburg, where an urban speed restriction is in place.

National Route N1
Section Kroonstad to Vaal River (Free State – Gauteng Provincial Boundary)
Distance 102 km
Description Partly a single carriageway with alternating passing lanes in each direction and wide gravel shoulders, and partly a four-lane single carriageway, except for the 10 km portion beyond the Vaal Toll Plaza, where it becomes a four-lane dual carriageway with wide paved shoulders.
Condition of Road Good.

National Route N1
Section Vaal River (provincial boundary) to Johannesburg
Distance 64 km
Description Four-lane dual carriageway freeway with wide paved shoulders.
Condition of Road Good.
Comments Motorists should beware of pedestrian activity along the route. Additional street lighting has been installed at the Ennerdale Interchange.

National Route N1
Section Johannesburg to Pretoria (N4 Interchange)
Distance 84 km
Description Four-lane dual carriageway freeway from Soweto to Roodepoort changing into six-lane dual carriageway freeway from Roodepoort to Pretoria.
Condition of Road Good.
Comments Construction of additional lanes and other improvements. Lane restrictions in off peak periods.

The Backup will depart from Centurion at +- 2pm for Gariep sleep over.Contact no for the back up is 082 467 8782

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 18th March 2010, 11:58

tend to agree with Dave - you could at least have done that and more there???
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT

Back to top Go down

Post by JCM 18th March 2010, 13:41

Richard H wrote:scratch The route via Graaf Reinet looks better for both directions, then...?

Ons het verlede week die roete via Graaf Reinet na Mosselbaai geneem en via Beaufort Wes teruggekom. Albei roetes het maar hul voor- en nadele.

Opmerkings:
Daar was geen verkeersbeampte te sien in Beaufort Wes nie.
Op die Graaf Reinet pad was daar 'n trop bobbejane (in die omgewing van Aberdeen, soos ek onthou) waarvan een voor ons ingespring het. So, wees maar versigtig en moenie te vinnig ry nie!!

Slaapplek by Gariepdam wat ek kan aanbeveel is die De Stijl Gariep Dam Hotel (kyk Google) of Wiew Lodge, Tarentaalstraat 20, Gariep dam. (nul agt twee 879-4262).
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 154
My bike : R1200RT
[Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!]
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down