BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

FOLLOW THE GS FUGITIVE – AN INSIDE STORY

+2
Gemmerkat
JCM
6 posters

Go down

FOLLOW THE GS FUGITIVE – AN INSIDE STORY Empty FOLLOW THE GS FUGITIVE – AN INSIDE STORY

Post by JCM 2nd July 2009, 00:37

Some of our forum members might (many might not) know about the well-known South African author Deon Meyer who’s crime thrillers had been published in as many as seventeen languages.

I’ve just read one of his (Afrikaans) books - Proteus (English title - Heart of the Hunter) where the protagonist is a local Xhosa man, Tobela Mpayipheli. He is also a former KGB and Stasi assassin, now working for a BMW motorcycle dealership in Cape Town.

In order to help an old friend who is in serious trouble, Tobela has to be in Lusaka within three days. Because his mission could have serious political consequences for the present government, his attempts to be there in time were thwarted by intelligence agents at Cape Town International Airport. As a last resort, Tobela “borrowed” a BMW R 1150 GS from the dealership.

The bottomline - he has to cover the distance from Cape Town to Lusaka within 72 hours. The whole government apparatus, including National Intelligence and Rooivalk helicopters, tries to stop him. His only biking experience is his 200cc Honda Benly!

The media eventually got wind of the Xhosa on the R 1150 GS and the whole country is on alert. At one stage John Modise from SAFM runs the story and ask listeners to vent opinions about the matter on air.

Let me quote freely from Chapter 19 of the book: One Burt from the Pretoria Chapter of the Hell’s Angels phoned in to John Modise and proclaimed Tobela to be a “brother”. Burt says: “All motorcyclists are part of a greater brotherhood, John. Now, you may have heard a lot of untruths about the Angels, but I can tell you, when one of our brothers is in trouble, we help.”

Not to be outdone by this, Elise, secretary of the Pretoria BMW motorcycle club, phones in and declares that (we) “.....don’t need the Hell’s Angels to act on our behalf.” She goes on saying that “Mr Mpayipheli is riding a BMW, and if anybody helps him, it will be the BMW motorcycle fraternity. I don’t know how the Hell’s Angels with their Harleys are going to travel on the gravel roads of the Northern Cape.” Modise later asks about a GS....”Is it an on road/off road motorcycle. Like a scrambler?” “Yes” Elise replied.....”I suppose you can call it a scrambler with a thyroid condition”.

In due course, Pretoria BMW club members started communicating on their website. One says: “The only way we can help this guy (on the R 1150 GS) is if all BMW owners in the country unite. We must all gather at Three Sisters and try to find him. That way, we can help him get through to wherever he is going.”

On the radio, our Hell’s Angels friend, Burt, made a final call to SAFM’s Modise. “Two things”....he says: “We don’t ride Harleys.....a few members do but only a few.” And furthermore....”this thing that the Xhosa guy belongs to the BMW people (as they allege) is bullshit. I’m sorry, but they’re nothing but a bunch of fair-weather, breakfast-run weekend wannabe bikers.” Modise then asks him “.....what now happened to the great brotherhood of motorcycle riders?” Burt answers: “(I am talking about).....real bikers, John. Not these Beemer sissies. That (R 1150 GS) rider out there is a real biker. A former soldier. A warrior of the road. Like us (the Hell’s Angels).”

If you want to know more about Tobela’s epic journey on the R 1150 GS, read the book – it is an excellent book, packed with suspense. Whether the Beemer and Harley riders eventually clashed....well, you read the book and find out!

One thing all GS-ers can be sure of is that after reading the book, they will gloat anew about their“golden calves” in their garages!!

A note about Deon Meyer: He used to work for BMW motorcycles as a Brand Strategist and Special Projects Manager. (see http://www.deonmeyer.com/index.html and http://www.deonmeyer.com/bio/bio.html

He also published road tests on bikes such as, for instance, the LT.....see http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.za/Web/Motorcycle/RoadTestIndex.aspx?bid=103&fid=34

Finally - this book was published in 2002 – my apologies if information about the book were published on this website before I became a member. Also....I don’t know Deon Meyer personally – no one bribed me for this “advertisement”.
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 154
My bike : R1200RT
[Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!]
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

FOLLOW THE GS FUGITIVE – AN INSIDE STORY Empty Re: FOLLOW THE GS FUGITIVE – AN INSIDE STORY

Post by Gemmerkat 2nd July 2009, 08:40

I also recently read one of his older books "Orion" and he can write. It was the first one and I know for sure wich one will be next.
Thanks for sharing.
Gemmerkat
Gemmerkat
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 168
My bike : GR800 ST
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

FOLLOW THE GS FUGITIVE – AN INSIDE STORY Empty Re: FOLLOW THE GS FUGITIVE – AN INSIDE STORY

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 2nd July 2009, 09:51

I know Deon Meyer. He arranged all the Great African GS challenges until 2007. He is one of those guys that rode BM's and arranged a lot great events, but never really became part of the fraternity. Some loved him, some hated him and only a few really knew him.

It seems that our club, which he knows quite well, due to most of the stronger GS riders coming from us and doing quite well at the GSC skills challenge, has made some impression on him after all. Razz

I hope the GS guys sort out those Harleys Twisted Evil
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2009, 12:30

Seeing as we are discussing books now - this might not in any way link in with biking in general - I recently read the Feast of the Uninvited - (Afrikaans version) by PG du Plessis.

Although it does link up with the Womens Ride - visiting the concentration camps. One of the best Afrikaans books i have read in quite a number of years.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JCM 2nd July 2009, 13:39

Cannot agree with you more, Leroy.....arguably his best book ever. Those going on the "Womens Ride" can only benefit from reading it before they go if they have time (for a broader perspective).

You've probably read Meyer's LT road test? See link above.

Some additional iformation: A "picture version" of Tobela's journey can be seen on http://www.deonmeyer.com/xtra/xtra_hunter.html
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by JCM 2nd July 2009, 13:55

......and one final comment from me: You've got the picture version and the map now (see link above).....why don't the GS-ers organise a "Thobela Run" for themselves later this year or next year?
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2009, 16:10

The road test you referred to was done a number of years ago - but yes - read is ages ago. Still agree with every word written and all praises to the LT.
As i always say - given a choice between all the models - i will without hesitation again choose the LT.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemmerkat 2nd July 2009, 20:16

Wat bedoel jy met:
[quote="JCM"] Those going on the "Womens Ride" can only benefit from reading it before they go if they have time
Ons wil juis dat mense soos jy moet saamry en goed vertel wat ons nie gelees het nie en saam met ons te deel. Neutral Neutral

Ons het die TV reeks gesien en dis hoekom ons die Kampe doen gedurende die Woman's day weekend.
Gedurende die recce het ons a paar knoppe in die keel gekry maar, soos TJ gesê het:" dit gaan oor die
"Shared Riding Pleasure" nie om mense morbied te maak nie.

Gaan jy saam?
Gemmerkat
Gemmerkat
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 168
My bike : GR800 ST
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by JCM 2nd July 2009, 23:16

"Gemmerkat" wrote.....Gaan jy saam?

Ek sou nogal wou....ek kom mos van Reitz/Bethlehem af (nie ver vanaf Vrede nie).
As ek 'n paar persoonlike sake uitgesorteer kry, sal ek laat weet.
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 3rd July 2009, 10:52

Sou self graag wou gaan - maar Elsabe is nog in die herstel na haar operasie en reeds dan besig met bestraling - so biking is seker uit tot basies die einde van die jaar vir ons.

Geniet dit sou bitter graag daardie plekke wou besoek het. Sal maar later 'n solo run doen.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 3rd July 2009, 15:21

Die eienaar van die plaas met die konsentrasiekampkerkhof in Brandfort gaan ons persoonlik ontmoet wanneer ons daar aandoen. Hy sluit die hekke want 'ons' mense het te veel vandalisme daar gepleeg. Dit word net vir georganiseerde groepe oopgemaak.

Het die plaas in 2000 gekoop met die doel om die kerkhof op te pas en instand te hou.

En dan is hy 'n oud-beemer ryer.... enough said!

Wat my hartseer gemaak het op ons recce is hoe goed die Britte se grafte opgepas word. Die VK het mos 'n 'War Graves Commission' wat internasionaal na die grafte omsien. Sommer so reg langs die vroue en kinders s'n. Ai, as ons darem daardie kultuur kon voortsit ná 1994.
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 7th July 2009, 14:19

Ja - is waar. Was nou die dag by Irene - Smuts Huis - daar is mos ook veronderstel om 'n konsentrasie kamp en begraafplaas te wees - kon dit nie eens sien nie.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 7th July 2009, 22:05

LeRoy Olivier wrote:Ja - is waar. Was nou die dag by Irene - Smuts Huis - daar is mos ook veronderstel om 'n konsentrasie kamp en begraafplaas te wees - kon dit nie eens sien nie.

Dalk hier? S 25° 52.335 E 028° 13.235

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9616d22a-f109-49db-87d8-f7d84810a803&log=y&decrypt=y
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down