BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”...........

+14
Koekels
Wahl
dakardrix
Tony R
Kawasefi
BON
Mud Pooh-bah
GSlady
Corlia
Richard H
JR
Marnus
Sias
KnopKop
18 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 Empty Re: Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”...........

Post by GSlady 15th April 2009, 12:32

BON wrote: ...
Life is gooood, hey Dani ??????
Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 DSC02047

Correction BON - Your actual words when I was stuck in the mud were: "Photo first, then help."
Thanks for the help!! cheers
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 Empty Re: Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”...........

Post by Sias 15th April 2009, 13:25

This trip looks AAAWWWESOME!!! I am very disappointed that we (Corlia and I) couldn’t tag along. Not sure if the terrain is all that pillion friendly, but there is only one way to find out! If Corlia is up for it…next time!

Hope there IS a next time!!!

clownclownclownclownclownclownclownclownclownclown
clownclownclownclownclownclownclownclownclownclown
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 15th April 2009, 13:38

Hi Sias, you snooze you loose! Smile

It was exactly why I decided to tag along at the last moment - looking hard for work at the moment and just couldn't justify going away. But realised nobody is going to contact me over Easter weekend, the route looked awesome, Sani was a breeze last time I went up there with the Dakar (...) and before you know it I was the guy loosing 6 bikes and a rally vehicle/driver in 60 seconds... Memel, Memel, how did that happen...

So, was hoping to get the stress levels down, and boy, can't remember when last I laughed so much and had such a good time!! Buffles and all...

It was an awesome awesome trip, way beyond my expectations! What a route...

Will post some of my pics later, let's pace ourselves here, it will get better...

Mr BON - I CAN'T CONCENTRATE ON YOUR PICS WITH THAT AVATAR!!
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by BON 15th April 2009, 16:08

Mr Drix...
This is the world of the FIGHTERS !!!!!!!!!!
It Look Likes Sharkie's avatar.....kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
BON
BON
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 176
My bike : R 1200 GS (RSA)
R 1200 GS ADV (BRA)
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 Empty Day 1 - Bez Pass

Post by dakardrix 15th April 2009, 23:19

Bez Pass

So, I should have known that there is something brewing when Sharkie sounded serious about leaving at 6am, "...cause we have to do Bezuidenhoudt's Pass..." I totally ignored it, only vaguely recalling them mentioning it on the Wild Dog forum, and surely it can't be worse than Sani Pass? And Sani Pass was a fairly non-event the last and only time we went up there in December 2007.

Which turns out to be the same time Sharkie was there as well.

Explains a lot.

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410014

So we did all the riding and Heidenau inspection as everyone said above. Stunning Golden Gate, first time I actually rode right through it. Then, after the always windy Sterkfontein Dam, we turned onto this dirt road heaven. I just loved it.

We cleared some obstacles on the way, Marius digging in the mud with his pods, but not technically a fall.

And then we stopped. So Sharkie said, "This little drop off is the worst, then it gets better." So Pieter dropped. I dropped. We went around the corner and I realised, "these are rocks". And then we all dropped. Some more than others. Shangali flew through it all, can't believe he only started off-road recently, never mind with one leg - remember he can't really use the rear brake!!

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410016 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410017 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410018 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410021 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410022 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410024 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410027 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410028 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410031 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410041

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410037

To make a long story short, by the end of this pass a rally driver was reborn as a new 1200GS rider - the biggest bike he ever rode, 30-odd years after he has been on ANY bike. I saw Brian recovering from two certain falls, amazingly recovering the bike at the last moment! We lost one hamstring, hurt an injured Sharkie even further, loaded same GS on trailer, and marvelled at the job the crash bars were doing.

A lot of sweat, and you could see the look of brotherhood, Lil D included.

Imagine the scene - all in slow motion - the helmet off, the hair that shake loose in the slight wind, the slow turn of a head sideways, the nod of understanding, the wry smile... Ok scratch that, Buffle had no hair and the burn mark on his forehead really spoilt the picture!

But for a brief recovery moment I took in the beauty of the GS's in their natural environment...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410048

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410047

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090410044

Last edited by dakardrix on 21st July 2009, 11:55; edited 2 times in total
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 16th April 2009, 00:21

Richard H wrote:...a trifle "technical" I take it...? Shocked

I hope it's still untarred (and that I am far more confident of my off-road skills) the next time a Sani Pass opportunity knocks ! Sad

Technical? Level 1, I would say... but it gets better...

I have seen very little progress on the tarring over the last 18 months. Most of the work is up to the hotel, and the pass really only starts after that, with the core pass after the SA border post. It will look like this for years to come, except if things change overnight.
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 16th April 2009, 12:02

Wow.
Thanks Drix!
Looking at your excellent pictures, makes me relive the treacherous route.
Without you and your support I wouldn't have made Bez pass - once again thanks for everyone's help and encouragement.

I have to mention here, I had a pillion with me - in the form of a huge angel!
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wahl 16th April 2009, 12:20

Ek het 'n "vriend" wat 'n roofkyker is ..... hy laaik die foto's en se dankie dat julle dit met ons deel
Wahl
Wahl
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 16th April 2009, 12:45

Thanks for the extra pics Drix! My palms went sweaty just looking at them again Smile

So when are you posting day 2???
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 16th April 2009, 13:03

Thanks for the great pics Drix!!!!

Some awsome photos there. Can't you post them bigger ?

Shocked
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Koekels 16th April 2009, 15:04

Pieter lying on the ground is it the Captian thats working out
Koekels
Koekels
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 45
My bike : CRF 230 Honda
Suzuki DR200
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 16th April 2009, 15:19

The Captain is always working, even when he is waiting in a horisontal position next to a bike Twisted Evil
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Koekels 16th April 2009, 15:21

Mmmmmmmmmmmm just wondering horisontal position
Koekels
Koekels
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 45
My bike : CRF 230 Honda
Suzuki DR200
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Corlia 16th April 2009, 15:32

Wow Drix! That is some very impressive photography! I think some of those photo's definitely needs to be printed and put on the club's wall!!!! Of wat se jy? bounce
Corlia
Corlia
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 335
My bike : Dakar 650 GS Pillion
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 16th April 2009, 15:59

Koekels wrote:Mmmmmmmmmmmm just wondering horisontal position

Noooooooooooooo comment pig
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelW 16th April 2009, 21:11

Absolutely awesome pictures!!!
Thanks to all who posted their memories for us all to see.
Almost makes me want to seriously do some off-roading? MMMM......
MichaelW
MichaelW
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 112
My bike : 1150 GS
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 19th April 2009, 18:33

Sharkie wrote:Thanks for the great pics Drix!!!!

Some awsome photos there. Can't you post them bigger ?

Shocked

If I post them bigger you'll see it's only cell phone snappies.. Smile Will save them a bit bigger on Photobucket after our next trip... too much PT to change now - like Jamie says, actually takes a long time to do a little ride report.
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 19th April 2009, 18:35

Corlia wrote:Wow Drix! That is some very impressive photography! I think some of those photo's definitely needs to be printed and put on the club's wall!!!! Of wat se jy? bounce

Dankie jong, my selfoon neem nou nie die greatste kwaliteit nie, ek post hulle ook maar klein dan laai die bladsy vinniger. Ons leef maar in a take-away wêreld, mense wil nie wag nie.. Wink
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 Empty Day 2 - Sani Pass

Post by dakardrix 19th April 2009, 20:44

Sani Pass

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411049

Well, the first night at Notties came and went. I was shot after the previous day and got into bed way earlier than some others. I realised I can't keep up with this crowd, so I didn't even try. Sharkie was so nice to share his big room with me and I woke up a few times to hear him moaning and groaning in pain. The parties at Notties are rough. No bull..

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411002

Then I heard in the morning that the Buffle's Pig - oh wait, he was still Pieter at that stage - fell on my bike during the night. But all fixed with some putty and no visible damage to my bike, so I was happy. We also found a quick geocache next to the parking called Notties (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f8a64455-bb7c-486b-963e-7128f527ce50)

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411001

As we put in petrol for the easy day up Sani, I spotted these retro bikes from my youth and had a chat with their proud owners.

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411006 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411007 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411008

The Lotheni road is another route I have been eying on the map for a while and it totally exceeded my expectations. We could have turned around just before Sani and came back the same way and I would have been happy enough with the day!

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411013 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411022 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411025 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411027

The usual border formalities, I spotted some tramps under the trees...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411031 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411034 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411035

At this stage I acknowledged that there was little time or interest in geocaching so I sped along to stop at the first view point where there was a cache that I replaced before and wanted to check up on: nomans land (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f1f15cf0-6620-4be8-8a98-a36087975587).

The 800 flew over the rocks and I was ecstatic with its performance and handling. But I was shocked at the condition of the road and was very glad that Dani decided to give the pass a skip, a very wise decision after we told her how easy it was going to be!!

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411038

Pieter came flying past while I was geocaching and I had to give chase again! Laughing When we stopped just before the last few turns, he decided it might be a good idea to lower the tyre pressure. A bit late I'd say, but it must have helped as he broke his record going down later - something like 14 minutes, not sure..? What was it, Buffy (the Sani slayer...)?

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411043

Once again, the 4x4 taxis just amazed me. At one stage, on the way down, I was doing a difficult bit and the rough part was really tough, yet one of these taxis took himself into the rocks to make way for me approaching at speed. RESPECT...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411046

So we started waiting for the rest. If you look carefully, you can see Bruno in the first pic and then Bruno, Marnus and Shangali in the second...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411047 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411053

Bruno - heading for a traffic jam - passing the padskraper without front left wheel... Could explain the condition of the pass... Also the spot where Marius apparantly started with Lucille, "You picked a fine time, to lose me, loose wheel...!", but that's just rumour...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411054

The traffic was now building up at a rate and the cars coming down the stretch on the right of the pic left no space to pass on the way up, so Bruno had to stop at the turn...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411056

Marnus passing the hapless yellow metal (not referring to Bruno's machine - that was also punished big time on this trip by our resident fighter pilot!)...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411058

If you look with a magnifying glass you can see Shangali hyperventilating where he stopped on the corner in line with the white car. BIG RESPECT!! He overcame some of the roughest parts of Sani just to get there, the man is a legend!

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411060

Marnus and Bruno, now waiting for ages to get a gap in the traffic jam. You can see Brian's support 4x4 and Dani walking towards them...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411061

...and more of the traffic jam...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411062

Let's fast forward past the bit where Marnus nearly went over the edge and lifted his bike like it's a 50... affraid
Eventually we could all regroup to tackle the last few hairpins. All you could smell was Marnus' clutch!!

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411063

I could not even get a gap in the traffic to get the traditional pic of my capable beast at the famous landmark! Mad

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411068

And after a quick drink we were on our way down again. The down kept me busy and I didn't take any pics, especially not when Marnus had a spectacular wipe-out on the last bit just in front of me! It was so rocky that by the time I could find a parking spot for my bike he was up and on his way again. Could have been a bad one, but the man turns out to be a 'man van yster' and a very impressive bike rider. Here he goes...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411069

All in all, a splendid day out in the country. Actually, two countries and a stretch of legendary no-man's land...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090411067

Last edited by dakardrix on 22nd April 2009, 17:01; edited 4 times in total
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 Empty FROM THE SAFETY OF THE “CAGE”

Post by wingman 19th April 2009, 21:40

Finally, I take up my rightful position in the rear – an amazing report for an equally amazing trip well documented by the photos, I must say…

Firstly, I would like to thank Ettiene for affording both Kegan and I the opportunity to accompany you all on this ride, albeit in the back-up vehicle. A really great bunch of people!

What a splendid experience: The focus and single-minded determination showed by the members of the group when faced by the challenges this perilous route had to offer, is truly noteworthy… certainly not for the fainthearted! Sani Pass lived up to its reputation as a tortuous, hair-raising trail to conquer, especially on such weighty machines.

To Dani, the so-called “weaker sex” … by keeping up with the best in the group, you put paid to that myth!
wingman
wingman
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 21st April 2009, 09:02

Drix,

Where is the rest ?????

I know that you still have some great pics, and I know that GSLady also has a couple more that could be posted !!!

What a Face
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 Empty Day 3 - Van Reenen's Pass

Post by dakardrix 21st April 2009, 18:29

This was day 1...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 Sanirouteday1

...day 2...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 Sanirouteday2

Van Reenen's Pass

And now, day 3...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 Sanirouteday3

We hit a lot of TAR at first, the initial stretch was very nice. No comments about tar or gravel at this stage, so as not to upset sensitive viewers... silent Razz

Then we met Kawasefi and he led us over yet another beautiful piece of mountains. After Bez and Sani pass, we didn't even blink as we negotiated the potholes. A real hidden treasure area - the Free State definitely consists of two different worlds, the flat and then this one shared with KZN!

Marnus at the sign to Geluksburg - looks like the sign was done by a grade 1 art class... I love this country!

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090412005

A very lekker open gravel road took us to Van Reenen for a Rennie and a Coke.

The old and the ... old.. ?

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090412008

Buffy up to something, trying to hide the fact that an old KLR led the BM pack. And the BM roadies think they have issues with the GS guys... Embarassed Laughing

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090412007

From here we followed the elusive off-road Van Reenen's pass route to the old tunnel, stunning views but no time to stop and take pics. We were on a mission not to get there after dark again - the pattern of the first two days.

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090412012

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090412009 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090412015

Shangali feeling at home... Cool lol!

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090412014

More great open roads took us to Newcastle...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090412016 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090412019

...where the Buffles and Captains are already well documented, no further reporting required. I like the coffee in Newcastle...

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090412020 Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090413004

3 great days of riding behind us! Sharkie for President!! Vote GS!

"What's that, no politics on this forum? Tx for reminding me Wingman... "

Sani over Easter – “The road gets better – I promise”........... - Page 3 20090412022

Last edited by dakardrix on 22nd April 2009, 17:06; edited 2 times in total
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 21st April 2009, 20:30

Aiyayai...
Yet another great angle to the fine and not-so-fine stretches of road..
Thanks Drix!
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 21st April 2009, 21:02

Yep... this certainly brings back some distant memories!!! Time for another one Smile
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by BON 22nd April 2009, 00:29

Marnus wrote:Yep... this certainly brings back some distant memories!!! Time for another one Smile

You are right Marnus !!!!
There are plent of time to join us on saturday...... Evil or Very Mad
BON
BON
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 176
My bike : R 1200 GS (RSA)
R 1200 GS ADV (BRA)
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next