BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

GS races/time trials

5 posters

Go down

GS races/time trials Empty GS races/time trials

Post by dakardrix 3rd March 2009, 15:34

Something I've been pondering for a while:

The 450 is obviously suited to enduro racing. Then you have the Braam's and so on who take the X-Challenge on similar races/routes.

But me thinks there is a place for GS racing. After enduros and the Dakar (rally, not the bike) there are club rides. And then the GS Challenge which is really an expensive social ride. But nice routes, even though there should be something in between Orange and Red where the not-so-hot but experienced and good 1200's (as a measure, not a limitation) can be seriously challenged without risking to write off the bike.

There is thus a big gap in between for the 650GS (single and twin, and even the X-Country and the X-Moto or whatever that thing is), Dakar, 800GS and obviously the 1100/1150/1200GS and Adventures. Now on the club rides I see there is a point near the end of the outward journey where people (I won't name them. Pieter. Bruno... ) get tired of doodling along and then they pull off at 200 on the gravel and that is the highlight sort of.

So, firstly, as in running and even some cycling clubs, why don't we have a regular (once a week, once a month, once every two months, whatever) get-together and then give it gas on a safe route - bar a few challenges, say a drop-off, river-crossing, log or two, twisties, railway track, sand stretch... get the idea - of about 10-20k's, could even be shorter, and you try and better your time. Not skills challenge stuff, but I do see low-key sponsors, lucky draws, etc. - without killing the idea with organisation.

Then secondly, why don't we have an annual GS race for these types of bikes (invite the 990 Adventures, KLRs, TransAlps - hey, invite them to the time trial!) I am thinking about 50-100k, we can even have a separate race with GPS co-ordinates, find your own way rally style. The route has to be such to slow the bikes down so it doesn't become a high speed public road danger. Now I know the safety aspect could be huge, but surely we can work out something? Talk to the car rally organisers and copy a route, modifying it to our requirements? Or simply taking an enduro route and making it more manageable for the pigs?

I haven't really searched the web to see if anyone else has done something like this, sure somewhere...

Ok, back to work - you can see I have a lot, looking for an excuse to not do it... santa
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

GS races/time trials Empty Re: GS races/time trials

Post by KnopKop 3rd March 2009, 15:42

Sounds like a very good idea,

I am not too sure if such a thing (meaning a timed event) is legal with regards to MSA licensing and that sort of stuff. Also, as far as I know, your insurance won't cover a "timed event".

But, I am no expert on this.....
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 3rd March 2009, 15:56

Sharkie wrote:Sounds like a very good idea,

I am not too sure if such a thing (meaning a timed event) is legal with regards to MSA licensing and that sort of stuff. Also, as far as I know, your insurance won't cover a "timed event".

But, I am no expert on this.....

Mmm, haven't thought of that. Ok, let's dump the race idea for know, what about a time trial where you just start together, or apart I suppose, and take your own time. We could hang a big kitchen clock from a tree to help...

A group of mountain bikers I've ridden with some time ago - calling themselves the Dark-'n-Dirty group, not a formal club, even has (had?) night rides only, with some weeks a night time trial. It was held there in the veld between Waterkloof Air Base and the R21/Hans Strydom. They would also form teams for the time trial and see how many laps in a given time....

Getting excited! bounce alien bom
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 3rd March 2009, 16:18

...BTW, I suddenly remembered my 800 has a lap time function, anyone used it yet? No I also dunno what for...

But this TT surely can use it! Think I'll start looking for a spot - start must be close to a place where we can have a bite and a drink afterwards... In the week, one day after work?
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 3rd March 2009, 22:48

I may have to take up the challenge with the Yamaha Smile My bike is STILL waiting for spares from Bavarian since the last spill I took Embarassed And if I fall again, my insurance will probably give me the middle finger anyway hehehe.
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 4th March 2009, 12:25

I definitely like the idea!!! I do not have a GPS and struggle to get routes suitable for my bike. There seem to be a lot of opportunities like this for the plastic bikes, but I unfortunately don’t own one…. YET! I would like a get together on a regular basis to better my skills as I do not get enough practice at the moment. bounce
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 4th March 2009, 16:07

Ja, we keep it simple - have a book there where you write down your times. Then we keep a spreadsheet on the club site where we keep the times, in order, for the different classes/types of bikes, so you can see who are the champs, compare your own times, compete with your mate, bring your different bikes, etc.

I was looking at the Erasmuskloof area with all the 4x4 tracks, but it is a bit rough. Close to Kloof hospital though for the inevitable spills! Razz
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 4th March 2009, 17:43

This one? (With the hospital juuuuust visible bottom center)

GS races/time trials Erasmus
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 4th March 2009, 21:21

That's the one! I planted a geocache there recently, and on the day nearly got in trouble - got to a point on one of the tracks going done and suddenly realising it is dropping too much, then was stuck in trying to turn around.

Anyone experienced that sudden GS sweat before...? Embarassed

This is a link to the cache: Tracks View cache

The other areas I'm thinking of is behind Smuts House and east of Tierpoort and so on.
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 5th March 2009, 09:12

In my humble opinion I would rather see we have slow races. See how slow you could go between two points. GS's are not racing bikes and it could become a very expensive and painful exercise should we go into that. In my opinion anybody without fear and experience could go 200km/h on a dirt road, very little skill in that and extremely risky. That is why the Dakar rally speed were lowered to 160km/h and limited at 700cc.

If you really want to improve your skills see how slow you can go over obstacles without putting your feet down.

M2c
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 5th March 2009, 10:18

I get it, but I dunno if the slow thing will make people come back? In running time trials, it seems like most people actually just run together, not really racing. That's more what I have in mind - riding with others on a tight, technical/rather challenging, but fun track. NOT skills challenge level or too much rocks, more mountain bike single track type.

So more like Sias says, a place where you can come and improve your skills, get some help from the others, and really just squashing in a fun ride in the week. And we can throw in slow as well I'm sure.

I have chatted to one of my mates and will rope in some others - all of us with moutain bike background - and go and work out something we think is nice. Then we invite you all and see if people like it, and let it have a natural life - grow if it is needed and let it die if not.

Now, about the GS not a racing bike - that is only because you measure 'race' against what is currently available! Laughing
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 5th March 2009, 10:37

I fully understand Pieter's point of view - especially if something like this is seen as a club initiative not supporting the principles "to foster fellowship, through the safe, supportive and responsible riding and enjoyment of BMW motorcycles, in a courteous manner" That's the chairperson thing to do! Wink

I am also of the opinion that practice makes perfect, and that in exposing oneself to "learning opportunities", you can better equip yourself with skills and experience you may need in another situation. This goes for maneuvers at any speed.

Sooooo... as long as ego does not dictate the pace of the the time trial, I'll give it a bash Very Happy
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 5th March 2009, 12:33

Ok, cool - we'll do a fun 'trials', can add the time bit later. As long as it doesn't become too organised and a schlep.

Maybe throw in a hill climb... affraid
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 5th March 2009, 12:54

...actually, if we take out the time bit, it opens up a couple of easier opportunities route-wise. So then we can do a longer fun route, keeping everyone together. Mountain bikers (especially those with lights) - beware! sunny

What type of time, I'm thinking about 5:30 to 6:30 on a Monday or Wednesday evening?
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 5th March 2009, 15:29

I get it! What you are really looking for is much like a 4-corners "challenge", but something that can be done in an afternoon/morning What a Face

How about Monday AND Wednesday evening... remember that the sun sets earlier nowadays already Sad
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 5th March 2009, 15:55

Well, my bike has a headlight... lol!
dakardrix