BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

To trailer your Beemer (Harley way) or not

+5
Joe
Tony R
DaveS
KnopKop
LeRoy Olivier
9 posters

Go down

To trailer your Beemer (Harley way) or not Empty To trailer your Beemer (Harley way) or not

Post by LeRoy Olivier 26th December 2008, 19:23

It has recently come to my attention that a certain longstanding member of the club recently loaded his beemer on a trailer and transported it in this way to his destination, where the beemer was offloaded and used as a beemer should be used. A cardinal sin when one rides a beemer.

Now the question here is - should one trailer your bike or not - especially if the bike is healthy and fit and ready to roll. Is this not the type of actions one would expect from a Harley rider. Without denigrating all the Harleys out there. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Second question - is this individual about to go over to the dark side and act on this new found way of getting his bike (New Harley????), about. Because one cannot do that to a Beemer and not have your Beemer rights recinded. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked No No No No

Your thoughts on this matter is awaited. Question Question Question Question Question Question
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

To trailer your Beemer (Harley way) or not Empty Re: To trailer your Beemer (Harley way) or not

Post by KnopKop 26th December 2008, 20:29

Well,

Another member of the club, and this forum, also towed his Beemer (1150Adv nogal) all the way to the coast, but with good reason.

If he was selfish, he could have rode his bike down and leave his wife to drive ALL the way to the coast, ALONE with the small children in the car. See, I think this is being a good father and husband.

So it has nothing to do with riding a Beemer or Harley or KTM, it depends on the situation.

If you want to trailer your bike, trailer it, if you want to ride it, ride it. Really........ who cares ???

Just my 2 cents
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

To trailer your Beemer (Harley way) or not Empty Re: To trailer your Beemer (Harley way) or not

Post by DaveS 26th December 2008, 21:49

I sometimes trailer our bikes to a destination because of circumstance. An example - last year January we had a 4 day weekend at Saddle and Trout in the Midlands and trailered the Dakar and Dorothys 200cc Skygo with the intention of riding some dirt roads while we were there. Spend 2 days riding various tar/dirt roads in the area.

Another instance last year - was in KZN on business the week of the Buffalo Rally. Trailered the Adventure and Dorothy's 1150R down to Kingsburgh the Sunday. Conducted business there Monday - Wednesday. Dorothy flew down the Wednesday night and on Thursday we rode from Kingsburgh to Aliway North by bike (693km). The route from Centurion would have been 647km - so we in fact covered more distance on the bikes from KZN than people did from Pretoria Cool

After the rally we went to Port St Johns and then to Glenmore Sands for 5 days. Did 1600km from Kingsburgh to the Buff and back to Kingsburgh and then trailered the bikes back to Centurion. The distance we covered on the bikes is probably more than most of the people that rode from Jhb to the Buff and back.

So you can see, sometimes circumstance arises when it is necessary to trailer the bikes. Shocked
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 26th December 2008, 21:52

Sharkie wrote:
If you want to trailer your bike, trailer it, if you want to ride it, ride it. Really........ who cares ???

Just my 2 cents

Agreed, however to trailer your bike to a rally...... Twisted Evil I mean really!!! The Rhino this year was like a damn car park in the campsite. Even cars driving between the main tent and food stalls. Some guys even trailered their bikes right into the campsite - and most were superbikes!!

Had no shame!! They could at least have offloaded their bikes 10kmk away and rode into the rally site!!! Rolling Eyes
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 26th December 2008, 22:05

Rejuvenated DaveS wrote:
Sharkie wrote:

Just my 2 cents

Agreed, however to trailer your bike to a rally...... Twisted Evil I mean really!!! The Rhino this year was like a damn car park in the campsite. Even cars driving between the main tent and food stalls. Some guys even trailered their bikes right into the campsite - and most were superbikes!!

Had no shame!! They could at least have offloaded their bikes 10kmk away and rode into the rally site!!! Rolling Eyes

+100000000000000

lol! lol!
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony R 27th December 2008, 21:05

Am currently in Durban and have to admit that I trailered my Sprint here. Had a lot of stuff to bring down but did not want the wife to drive on her own. Otherwise I would have ridden down.

Tony R
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 225
My bike : Sadly no bike. Finances forced the sale of my Tigger.
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe 28th December 2008, 20:12

Trailered the S once to Golden Gate, couldnt fit 2 people and all the camping equipment (and pitbike) in a different way SmileSmile

Reckon the superbikes mentioned earlier were trailered cause not comfy enough to ride far Wink

OK, will start running ...
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 148
My bike : K1200S Indigo Blue
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemmerkat 28th December 2008, 20:28

I think that trailers are for boats!! Very Happy Wink
Gemmerkat
Gemmerkat
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 168
My bike : GR800 ST
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

To trailer your Beemer (Harley way) or not Empty Trail...or leave it behind?

Post by Richard H 28th December 2008, 22:43

If you can't fit all the gear on the bike, you've got too much stuff...!Rolling Eyes
If you can't fit the whole family on the bike, then trailer the bike and convey the family in the cage. Smile
At least that way you will get to ride some of the time... cheers
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 28th December 2008, 23:05

I have a trailer….one with 195 x 16” MOMO mags………..and I love it and it seems so do the thieves as they stole my first (custom) trailer.

We use the trailer at least once a year to transport the bikes to a holiday destination. That way we can fit all family members and luggage (including golf clubs) and all are happy that way.

Sometimes circumstances dictate the action. We had a 5 trip earlier this year to Knysna and I wanted to ride whilst there. If we opted to ride down, it would have left 1 day of riding in paradise. We opted to trailer the bikes down and were able to maximise our riding time to 3 days……..works for us

I have no problem whatsoever to trailer my bikes
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 7th January 2009, 14:56

This was a Jibe at a very good friend of mine (Club Member) and we (both) had a very good laugh on it before i did the posting. You all make very valid points, and yes your circumstances determine when or if you want to trailer your pride and joy.

He wanted to put a sticker on the back "No sidecar for mother in law" as a reason why his beemer was on a trailer (1st time). But i also agree with Dave - that you dont trailer your bike to a Rally. In 2006 we joined the club at Mosselbay for the Buffalo Rally, and even then there where lots of cars and caravans in the rally grounds.

Going for a ride to Robinson Pass we saw a Harley being trailered to the Buff - if you and your bike can't make it on your own you should not attend any rally.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 7th January 2009, 15:53

LeRoy Olivier wrote: - if you and your bike can't make it on your own you should not attend any rally.

+1

Could not agree more !!!

bounce
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 7th January 2009, 16:51

fwiw I’m in agreement in so far a rally is concerned.

As for the rest, I’m a bit of a non-conformist by nature Twisted Evil and frankly the do’s and don’ts to fit in with the culture of certain brands are not for me. Had some friendly cager coming to talk to me once at a filling station and he said I passed him whilst he was doing 100 and plenty and he always thought BMW riders/bikes are suppose to be old, slow and quiet. On the old part he might be (partly) right ok Wink ……. then again it’s all relative…..he was 30.

Maybe I am giving the brand a bad name but I’m so passionate about my bike/s, I refuse to miss out on anything just because the “rule book” or if you like the opinion of the hard core fraternity states it is off limits.

I also think it’s very funny to see Harleys trailered to Parys for a breakfast run only to off-load 10kays outside town, but if it works for them, let them be......……..part of the freedom on offered by biking and it is for pleasure after all. At least the bike stays clean that way and if I had to clean all that crome.......well the idea does not sound too bad anymore Laughing.......you can fit in 5 breakfast runs without a clean
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 8th January 2009, 10:17

Except for all the dust that gathers when parked in the garage. And no - i dont think anybody in the club damages the brand name by our way of riding, or for that matter your way of riding (Jamie) - on the contrary.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 10th January 2009, 20:13

I heard that Harleys that do more than 2000km per year are regarded as 'high-milers' and drop resale value dramatically... Shocked
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 10th January 2009, 21:40

Thought it was 1000km
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16th January 2009, 10:13

Ek het simpatie met die Harley manne. Dit is net soveel makliker om sekere fietse op 'n trailer vas te maak as ander. Indien ek 'n LT of 'n 1200GS gehad het sou ek hom ook eerder gery as getrailer het - dit neem net soveel minder energie. Wanneer ek egter eendag 'n superbike en 'n Harley gekoop het sal ek hulle ook trailer omdat dit net soveel makliker is om hulle op 'n trailer vas te maak. En buitendien die meisie wat saam met my ry se bagasie is net te veel vir sommige fietse.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 16th January 2009, 16:36

So - the best solution is dont regress to a Harley - then the trailor wont be needed.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnST 9th April 2009, 11:06

I would agree with Sharkie, it depends on the situation. But as a rule I would avoid a trailor, infact I have only once transported my bike somewhere and that was when I bought a new bakkie, went to the dealer on my bike, signed the papers, loaded the bike on the bakkie and went home.

I must also say that it is quite the laugh under the other brands when we see the BMW okes trailer their bikes. Don't get me wrong but I hardly ever see a guy on KLR or DRZ traler their bikes to a event or meeting place, and if anything I would trailer them first. They tough it out.

Went to Fouriesburg a while ago, and sure as hell there was 1200 GS's being towed into the camping site, why? I thought they were comfortable... Then again I forgot how my bike got home, one of the BMW okes offered me his spot on his trailer and took my bike home, cause I had 10 stitches above my eye and couldn't get a helmet on. Embarassed

Anyways, trailer the bike if it for instances down to holiday distination with family in the car, but PLEASE DO NOT TRAILER YOUR BIKE TO THE GS CHALLENGE THIS YEAR!! YOU LOOSE STREET CREDIT!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
JohnST
JohnST
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down