BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

I raced a Harley today

+2
LeRoy Olivier
Daleen
6 posters

Go down

I raced a Harley today Empty I raced a Harley today

Post by Daleen 7th June 2010, 17:01

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of a canyon road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "30 KPH".
I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.
I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.
Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out power me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.
My only hope was to out brake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up.
Three more kilometers to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.
But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the mountain, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.
Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took kilometers before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred meters. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the mountain and I had preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of britiron.
I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedalled so hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well. They really make a great bicycle ...
Daleen
Daleen
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 157
My bike : Red F650GS.
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

I raced a Harley today Empty Re: I raced a Harley today

Post by LeRoy Olivier 7th June 2010, 17:13

This sounds about right - was he still using his training wheels
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris 7th June 2010, 18:36

Vat so blikkies...
Chris
Chris
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 154
My bike : R1200GS Adv
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 7th June 2010, 19:49

HAHAHAHAHAHA cheers
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

I raced a Harley today Empty I raced a Harley today

Post by Geolero 29th June 2010, 16:02

Hi Daleen, you should have indicated to him that he lost some of his "tossels" Smile
What a pleasure here in OZ I have yet to see a single Harley with "tossels" also during a visit to the US a number of years ago I think I only saw one Harley with "tossels", seems it is only in South Africa that it is such a issue with some of the Harley riders (not all of them) Crying or Very sad Appologies to all other Harley riders, but having some friends there with Harleys I know they and other old school riders agrees with me on this issue.

Geolero
I have to post more . . .
I have to post more . . .

Number of posts : 7
My bike : R1150RT
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 29th June 2010, 17:18

Seems the HD's have become a juppy toy - all die ?????? who have never biked before - now see themselves as hardcore bikers wearing all the tappit leather outfits, as they dont actually have to wear protective clothing - not exceeding 80km/h and not being able to fall over????
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 30th June 2010, 11:58

I've heard the tassels are for the free spirits. See they take off their speedometer and odometer and replace that with tassels. In doing so you ride at a speed which is comfortable not trying to keep to 120km/h or whatever and you ride as far as is comfortable and not plan to do 500km for the day or whatever the case may be. Now you might be asking what the tassels are for. See the instructions that come with the tassels basically says: never get off the bike while the tassels are in a horizontal position. Always make sure that the tassels are in a vertical position before getting off! clown
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down