BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

My 9000km Solo Bike Trip (Ommie Land Vannie Rand) for Andrio (with Leukaemia)

+3
Andre
JR
Fritzie
7 posters

Go down

My 9000km Solo Bike Trip (Ommie Land Vannie Rand) for Andrio (with Leukaemia) Empty My 9000km Solo Bike Trip (Ommie Land Vannie Rand) for Andrio (with Leukaemia)

Post by Fritzie 22nd October 2008, 22:00

I am planning to travel around inside South Africa on my motorcycle for about a month starting in middle December. The idea is to ride as near as possible to the border and coastline of South Africa in a clockwise direction (from Pretoria, Barberton, Kosibaai, Durban, Wildekus, PE, Cape L’Agulhas, Cape Town, Alexanderbay, Bray(!), Mussina, Hoedspruit, Komatipoort, Barberton and Pretoria, only to mention a few). The estimated distance should be more or less 9 000 km and will include dirt roads and back roads. The decision of the trip was taken on 9 October after a discussion with my family and a lot of arrangements will still have to be made before my departure!

The reason for this ‘crazy’ plan is twofold:

1. I have a great passion for travel and always wanted to do such a trip. I always say that my favourite destination is one where I have never been to before (have you ever been to Obobogarab, Hakskeenpan, Baardskeerdersbos or Grootmis? Me neither. What does it look like there …. ?).
2. I have always wanted to make a contribution towards helping my best friend, Riaan de Lange’s brother’s son, Andrio (11 years old) , but never really knew how. Andrio has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia and is in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant. Funds are needed for the search and testing of possible overseas bone marrow donors since no suitable donor could be found in SA. Needless to say, it is an extremely expensive exercise. It is also important to make people aware of how they can help by becoming a possible bone marrow donor. This will not only benefit Andrio, but many other people who suffer from similar diseases. Furthermore, it is important to clarify the misconception that bone marrow tests and donations involve a “lumbar punch”, which is not the case at all and actually involves minimal discomfort. Read more on the websites www.andriodelange.co.za and www.sunflowerfund.org.za.

VIOLA! It did not take long to merge the above two ideas – a day or two to be precise!

My idea is to have flyers printed which I will hand out and chat to people about where ever I end up. I am also planning to visit institutions like local newspapers, clubs etc, to spread the message of Andrio and the bone marrow transplant fund. Further exposure will be through the printing of t-shirts and stickers for my bike containing the relevant information. Since I will travel mostly along the coastal areas, I am hoping for exposure amongst holiday goers. As with many of my trips in the past, I will write a report about the trip upon my return. One of my reports, or at least part of it, was published in the September issue of the DriveOut/WegRy magazine. I hope the “Ommie Rand Vannie Land” (Ride Around the Land) trip report, or parts thereof, will also be published to give further exposure to Andrio’s situation.

If anybody wants to help, they can do so as follows:

BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR
Contact Toll Free: 080012 10 82 or visit http://www.sunflowerfund.org.za

MAKE A FINANCIAL DONATION VISIT:
http://www.andriodelange.co.za/how-can-i-help.html

BECOME A BLOOD / PLATELETS DONOR
Contact the SANBS on 0800 11 90 31 or visit www.sanbs.org.za

This will be the first time that I will tackle such a campaign and any ideas and proposals are welcome.

Fritzie
I have to post more . . .
I have to post more . . .

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

My 9000km Solo Bike Trip (Ommie Land Vannie Rand) for Andrio (with Leukaemia) Empty Re: My 9000km Solo Bike Trip (Ommie Land Vannie Rand) for Andrio (with Leukaemia)

Post by JR 22nd October 2008, 22:13

Mr Fritzie I salute you

good luck and all the best on your epic journey.......whish I could come with but alas......it won't be possible
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

My 9000km Solo Bike Trip (Ommie Land Vannie Rand) for Andrio (with Leukaemia) Empty Re: My 9000km Solo Bike Trip (Ommie Land Vannie Rand) for Andrio (with Leukaemia)

Post by Andre 23rd October 2008, 06:55

Fritzie, thanks for sharing your plans with us. Riaan and his brother are very blessed to have a caring friend like you. I wish you a safe journey and hope your efforts will bring in the support & funds needed for Andrio Very Happy Keep us posted bounce
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 334
My bike : R1200RT, R1100S, Yamaha TW200 (also want the new S1000RR!!)
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by morpheus 23rd October 2008, 08:08

Awesome, the trip and the reason.

May your trip be blessed and we will keep the young lad in our prayers.

Morpheus
morpheus
morpheus
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 117
My bike : 1200GS
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe 23rd October 2008, 08:23

Wow, what an adventure ... Post pics as you go along !!
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 148
My bike : K1200S Indigo Blue
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooikat 23rd October 2008, 08:59

What an awsome idea !!! All the best for your trip. Strongs to the young one !!!!!!!
Rooikat
Rooikat
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 89
My bike : 2007 F650GS ........... AND ............. 800ST !!!!!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

My 9000km Solo Bike Trip (Ommie Land Vannie Rand) for Andrio (with Leukaemia) Empty Fritzie's Trip for Cancer

Post by Admin 8th November 2008, 18:58

Read more about Fritzie's trip - (not a solo trip anymore) under UPCOMING TRIPS.

You can help!

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down