BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

How to carry all your pillion's luggage...

+6
JohanGT
Henk
Joe
Andre
LeRoy Olivier
Richard H
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How to carry all your pillion's luggage... Empty How to carry all your pillion's luggage...

Post by Richard H 31st July 2008, 20:11

scratch If you are a solo rider with lots of gear for the GS Challenge...or maybe just a "careful packer" rider with a "less-than-careful" Razz pillion, here's an option for when the top-box, pillion and tank bag are already full...Shocked
How to carry all your pillion's luggage... Copy%20of%20102_1329

How to carry all your pillion's luggage... Front%20Side

How to carry all your pillion's luggage... Side%20View

...No we can't afford it, dear! Sad
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

How to carry all your pillion's luggage... Empty Re: How to carry all your pillion's luggage...

Post by Richard H 31st July 2008, 20:36

...or this one - even works on a 1150... Very Happy

How to carry all your pillion's luggage... 251838970_WB3vT-X2
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

How to carry all your pillion's luggage... Empty Re: How to carry all your pillion's luggage...

Post by LeRoy Olivier 1st August 2008, 09:43

No - this complete defrays from the principle of biking - just learn to pack small and light. If you dont have place for it you go without. If you want to take so much junk with rather take the Landy or the Pajero or whatever sidewalk parker you use. Regards Shocked
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre 2nd August 2008, 09:26

LeRoy Olivier wrote: just learn to pack small and light. If you dont have place for it you go without. If you want to take so much junk with rather take the Landy or the Pajero
Unless you want to take your 4 star accommodation with! I still think a nicely colourcoded one will look lovely behind the big blue LT. jocolor lol!
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 334
My bike : R1200RT, R1100S, Yamaha TW200 (also want the new S1000RR!!)
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 2nd August 2008, 12:44

Seems you can fit a trailer to any bike - RT would also do then.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre 2nd August 2008, 15:16

At the moment I don't need the extra space. Being single has it's advantages. However, as soon as I have hair dryers and other things to pack, it might just be an idea. (Clour coded of course!) jocolor
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 14th August 2008, 21:15

By then you will have to learn to make do with the left hand pannier - the top box and right hand pannier will no longer be available.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe 14th August 2008, 21:18

Let the pillion take his/her own bike Rolling Eyes
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 148
My bike : K1200S Indigo Blue
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 14th August 2008, 21:30

Shocked Anyone notice that the picture above has the sidecar fitted to....

....a BMW R80GS PD Classic with twin headlight, custom screen and after market front fender bracket...? affraid
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henk 15th August 2008, 09:01

Ditto LeRoy---This is plain bad. A cross wind, pothole or overloading will find you in Baragwana Hospital ward 3, 4 and maybe 5
Henk
Henk
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 205
My bike : F650GS
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 15th August 2008, 11:44

And laying still wont help. Principle here is to learn how to travel light, take what is necessary and pack light. Have learnt over the last 5 years how to pack the LT, get everything in and still to have al that i wanted.

A few years ago we were traveling down to the Southern Drakensberg region, and stopped off at Clarens - 2 days and one painting later we were on our way - painting in the top box beneath the luggage bag. Took some tight packing, but we got there.

No sidecar or trailer necessary.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JohanGT 18th August 2008, 21:00

I tried the following move:

How to carry all your pillion's luggage... DSCF3088-1

Between King Williamstown and Grahamstown we hit a terrible storm with rain and wind and when we arrived at Grahamstown, the white bag was AWOL.

Me thinks that if something is not fixed to the bike, me rather leave it.

One of the people on this forum said: Take half the clothes and twice the money.
JohanGT
JohanGT
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 246
My bike : K1200GT
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://www.maartenspro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre 18th August 2008, 21:57

Yep, if you can afford it, it is definately the most convenient. What you can't get into the panniers and top-box must stay home. The rest you carry in your wallet Exclamation
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe 18th August 2008, 21:59

JohanGT wrote:
Me thinks that if something is not fixed to the bike, me rather leave it.

One of the people on this forum said: Take half the clothes and twice the money.

Agreed, I feel MUCH better if everything is in the sidebags or in the tankpack ... the rest I buy along the road or learn to get along without it Cool
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 18th August 2008, 22:50

I remember on my first long trip to Mozambique, I had my soft bag tied down on the seat behind me (never had the convenience of a top box). Suddenly the biker behind me (Pennels) rode up next to me waving me into an urgent stop.
One end of the tie-down got loose and was about to entangle in the spokes of the back wheel. Till then I rely on a cargo net rather than tie-downs.
So whatever goes on the bike, make sure about how its fastened!
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Henk 19th August 2008, 13:37

Seen the tankpacks (pictures) Does it not damage the paint on the bike and is it not in your way?
Henk
Henk
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 19th August 2008, 13:45

it sure does damage the paint if mounted directly on the tank area does not matter how careful you are. There are ways around it though.......

- stop caring about the damage; Wink or
- don't use a tank bag; Wink or
- use a tank bag that mounts on the petrol cap thus not touching the tank directly; or
- temporarily protect the area where mounted on the tank
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe 19th August 2008, 16:42

MadnohB wrote:
- temporarily protect the area where mounted on the tank

This is something that I wish I knew about or reralised when my bike was new. It is not so bad on teh tank, but against the side of the tank where my pants press against the sides the paint is much duller (sp?) than before...

Note to myself is that if I am lucky enough to buy a new bike again I'll make sure I pre-order that protective film that goes on before I use it too long Cool
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Henk 19th August 2008, 18:01

Joe---Explain that protectibe film. First I hear of it. Where do you get it and how does it work.
Henk
Henk
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by JohanGT 2nd September 2008, 00:20

That is true! And stay away from those elastic bands that seem so tight, it is all just smoke and mirrors. It works until it does not work and then your expensive goodies go on a trip of their own.

If you need to tie something down, use proper straps.
JohanGT
JohanGT
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 246
My bike : K1200GT
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://www.maartenspro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony R 2nd September 2008, 11:50

The best known and tried and tested paint film protection is supplied by a company called VPS. They use 3M product. Have a look at the website at vpsprotection.co.za

Tony R
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 225
My bike : Sadly no bike. Finances forced the sale of my Tigger.
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 2nd September 2008, 13:15

Been using the protective film from "Venture Shield" for 4 years now. Model specific precut decalls for each bike, almost invisible if applied correctly and super strong.

This bike had the product applied on all the indicated areas....basically all chip and scratch sensitive areas

How to carry all your pillion's luggage... IMG_0012edtVentureshield

a more close-up pic.....note the slightly glossy edge of the bellypan which is the film

How to carry all your pillion's luggage... Img_0010
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear 2nd September 2008, 14:39

MadnohB wrote:Been using the protective film from "Venture Shield" for 4 years now. Model specific precut decalls for each bike, almost invisible if applied correctly and super strong.

This bike had the product applied on all the indicated areas....basically all chip and scratch sensitive areas

Hi MadnohB,

where did you get the film and did you have them fitted or did you fit it yourself ??
Bear
Bear
Riding the skyways

Number of posts : 194
My bike : R1200RT (Sand Beige) & F800ST (Metalic Blue)
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear 2nd September 2008, 15:03

Henk wrote:Joe---Explain that protectibe film. First I hear of it. Where do you get it and how does it work.

Hi Henk,

I went to this site....

http://www.ventureshield.com/dealers.asp#Results
Bear
Bear
Riding the skyways

Number of posts : 194
My bike : R1200RT (Sand Beige) & F800ST (Metalic Blue)
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 2nd September 2008, 15:12

Bear wrote:.....where did you get the film and did you have them fitted or did you fit it yourself ??

Got it from Full Throttle (@ about R1k per set) and we fitted (mostly the Mermaid Wink ) it. However, it's not easy and in the process, we wasted some "panels"

Nowadays, I see Venture Shield has a local importer (it's an Australian product) and they offer fitment included in their price (refer to their ad in BikeSA)

I did not use all the supplied decalls, for example I did not fit them to the outside of the mirrors and front fairing. It can be removed easily - for instanse if you want to trade - and the previously covered surface will be chip and scratch free. It's also a very durable product with no discolouration in 3 years (longest we had it on 1 single bike)
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next