BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 14 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes?

+7
MichaelW
Tony R
Sias
Marnus
GSlady
LeRoy Olivier
Renier
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you think of the new handle bar switch layout on the new K series bikes?

What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes? Vote_lcap73%What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes? Vote_rcap 73% 
[ 8 ]
What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes? Vote_lcap18%What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes? Vote_lcap9%What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 11

What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes? Empty What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes?

Post by Renier 2nd June 2009, 21:20

It seems that BMW are trying to appease the non BMW owner public and are instead more content to irritate the existing owners who may want to buy a new bike at some stage.
What do you think?

Renier
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-13

Back to top Go down

What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes? Empty Re: What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes?

Post by LeRoy Olivier 3rd June 2009, 09:46

Personally - prefer the old switching gear - as far as i am concerned - part of the BMW bike as much as the Beemer Badge. Why try and emulate the japs - we ride beemers because the ubique nature of the brandname and models appeal to us. If you want jap configuration on your bike - go and buy a jap bike.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes? Empty Re: What do you thnk of the new toggle switchgear on the new K series bikes?

Post by Renier 17th June 2009, 21:11

Do you guys and gals on this forum have an opinion on these issues ?

Renier
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 17th June 2009, 21:34

Mmm, yep agree, rather quiet eh?
If there was an option such as "none/all of the above" ; "Sorry, No Clue" or "only know my own bike" I for one would partake in the poll.. scratch
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 17th June 2009, 23:08

My old Dakar had the single switching gear setup if I remember correctly, so comparing that with the 1200's "easy to use" switching gear, I must go for the latter. As Leroy said - it made BMW quite unique and I find it much easier to use than the single toggle button.

Even if they have a very good reason to move to such a design on all their bikes, I would at least like to see that they offer the dual type switching gear as an option (for free, of course!)
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 18th June 2009, 09:45

Don’t have a new K series either:affraid:

I prefer the single switchgear as on my Dakar. Had the new F650 and F800 (don't know if they are similar to the K setup) as a loaner and found that switchgear difficult to use. But that was only for one day at a time. Don’t know what my opinion would be once I get used to it? Shocked
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Renier 18th June 2009, 20:23

Dani, BMW has two indicator switch setups:
The single toggle switch like the old F650GS, alias the " universal" Japanese setup that I refer to and the BMW "paddle" left right plus cancel switches which in my opinion and many you have used them find to be a more intuitive configuration, i.e. left hand for left turn and right hand for right turn.

As the most esteemed member who operates both BMW and Honda machines has commented. He no longer indicates for a left turn because he has to half move his hand off the grip to get hold of this toggle switch to pull it.

So the question remains what do people think of this development? It would appear as on most Forums that most visitors are peepers who do not have an opinion about such important things Question

Atleast my comments are touching some sensitive ears because I have had a telephone call from the USA to have the logic of the new set up explained to me. I still do not agree that one has to make the new "captured" market feel happy with the indicator switch layout. The push pull head light flasher switch is an improvement - once you have found the switch that is.

Why the fuss? Well the way I see it all BMW's will head in this direction in the future if the people who live with the machines do not have their say.

So stop peeping and do something.

Renier
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 18th June 2009, 21:11

Aah, that. Smile
I had the left-right-configuration on my 'old' 650GS and now the toggle and cancel on the 800GS.. -- I think??
but never think of it as something to compare with other bikes as I don’t know other bikes Embarassed
.. Or maybe I have long fingers, it’s really no issue - both work for me.. it's only a means to put the indicator on?

ag okay.. I have long hair .. (back to the cricket)
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 18th June 2009, 22:06

At least it is not blond.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 18th June 2009, 23:12

And while we're on the topic of buttons....

Am I the only person that finds it EXTREMELY hard to press the ^$#@%@ red button on the left to sound the horn??? In case of emergency, that is the LAST thing I'll do, because either I can't locate the button quick enough, or when I do, it needs to be squeezed to the inside (?) to make a sound. By that time, the danger situation is already 1km behind me!

Perhaps for the next club ride, I should go park somewhere and just press the $#@^#$^ hooter button until I can do it with my eyes closed.
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony R 19th June 2009, 09:02

I have always ridden bikes with the single toggle switch for indicators and so find that process instinctive. I rode a 1200 GS in December and battled with the indicator process. Suppose it is what you are used to. I dont have to move my hand at all to use the switch. Falls into place perfectly on the Triumph.

Tony R
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 225
My bike : Sadly no bike. Finances forced the sale of my Tigger.
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelW 19th June 2009, 13:03

The overseas journos complain ad nauseum about the 'complicated' BMW indicator switchgear. If you ride the bike more than once, you will get used to them.

I think Marnus has touched on a far more important/frustrating aspect of the BMW switchgear debate. The friggin hooter is far more difficult to operate in an emergency! I have never been able to use the hooter quick enough, only a few choice words shouted into my helmet. By the time you actually press the hooter, some innocent bystander thinks you are hooting at them, and they get all upset.

Maybe we need a hooter training day?? We already have two candidates.
MichaelW
MichaelW
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 112
My bike : 1150 GS
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 19th June 2009, 14:00

There is a place called Hooters in the USA. Maybe they can solve your h(*)(*)ter problem.... cyclops
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony R 19th June 2009, 17:55

And they do have hooters.

Tony R
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 225
My bike : Sadly no bike. Finances forced the sale of my Tigger.
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelW 19th June 2009, 20:10

Let me put this in perspective: I only have a problem with BMW's hooter, not with the 'others'.
Anyway, I'm proudly South African, USA is too far away. cheers
MichaelW
MichaelW
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 20th June 2009, 17:03

Once again - if you want a singel toggle switch - buy a pocket rocket and leave the tradisional toggle switch endemic to beemers alone.

Getting back the Hooters, or rather the hooter switch - just get to know the layout of your handlebar grips.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 20th June 2009, 17:45

I like hooters that switch... Laughing
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 20th June 2009, 18:32

Or switches that Hoot - depends on what you want to do or nor
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Renier 22nd June 2009, 21:16

Well atleast I have succeeded in people discovering their controls.
Not being able to find the hooter - try this it is quite easy - Just extend your thumbs to rest on on the switches -
Left hand - Slight downward movement of your thumb you get left indicator, slight upward movement you get hooter, ( no No not the BMW roundel in the middle of the handlebar Smile )
Right hand - slight downward movement of your thumb - right indicator and a slight upward movement allows you to cancel the indicators.

Now that was quite intuitive.

Renier
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelW 23rd June 2009, 09:48

Thanks Renier, for the info.
I find the more I push the BMW roundel, (the GS's roundels are on the sides of the tank!!!!) Shocked,the slower my bike goes.
Maybe it's because I take my hand off the throttle to push the right hand side roundel?
MichaelW
MichaelW
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 23rd June 2009, 11:04

2 brainselle - know you are turning gray as I am doing - did not know you were blond initially.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelW 23rd June 2009, 17:34

Turned gray a long time ago.
Why 2 braincells?? Being over 50, I thought I had only one. scratch
MichaelW
MichaelW
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 24th June 2009, 15:45

True - but you said it.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Renier 24th June 2009, 20:31

I find the population visiting Forums interesting. 212 visits to this post but only 7 people have an opinion to vote.
I went and looked at the K1300GT again yesterday - that indicator switch remains K.. - just 3 letters. The mechanism of the Yamaha FJR1300 (@ R155 000) feels superior - sat on that bike as well.
Maybe the brute power of the K1300GT (@ R183000) will negate the need to use the indicators all together - you just need to hold on when you open the throttle.

Renier
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelW 24th June 2009, 22:42

Maybe the others don't understand what the fuss is about? Question

Also, the humour involving the roundels has been lost on some readers, being linked to the number of braincells one has.

I did not realise there was such a big price difference between the Yammie and the BMW. The overseas press love the big Yammie, but the K1300GT sounds like it is in a class of it's own.

Are you getting one anytime soon?? Smile
MichaelW
MichaelW
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next