BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Tell us who you are?

+71
Handre
Kiteman
Amos
Sue Coetzee
Black Rose
V K Frik (LT)
Heretic
Ernst
Blu82
SanetG
Willem O
MG
Hermanator
Puddles
EastRider
GS-Kaiki
Daleen
voyger34
The Transporter
Leo
BON
dakardrix
Laughing Girl
JohnST
ChristoEngelbrecht
Marnus
Mogas
Jpbez
Happy-go-lucky
Philippe
Tony R
szalek
JohanGT
Tr0jan
tj
Andre
Gemmerkat
2UP4ADV
Lunar
Mermaid
Henk
Scoop
Corlia
wingman
morpheus
Joe
Wahl
Mud Pooh-bah
DaveS
lady bikermouse
Gerrit
Perske
gone away
LeRoy Olivier
DeonP
Sias
GSJeri
JR
steyngert
iceman
KnopKop
xplorer
GSing
Bear
Richard H
Chunky
Enduro
LooxC
GSlady
adventuretharon
Admin
75 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Tell us who you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Tell us who you are?

Post by Sias 11th July 2008, 10:56

Hi all! My name is Sias Koen. I bought a F650 Dakar Oct07 (my big boy!) and I still can't wipe the smile off my face Very Happy . I joined Pta BMW Club in Feb08. I am inexperienced with off road riding but am slowly easing my way into it (and getting there). I would like to own a 1200 GS some day, but will try to keep my 650. I live and work in Pta for 2 and a half years now and love it.

HAPPY RIDING! Laughing
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DeonP 14th July 2008, 21:57

Hello all,
My name is Deon and I am a bike fanatic ( sounds like the start of a support group - maybe it should be)
I started biking at High School with a Honda MB50 in red.Could you imagine these long legs wrapped around a 50cc Motorcycle ! The gear change was never for more power, but more sound and SAME power.
Then did my National Military Service for 2 years and decided to get a Yamaha XJ750 in silver. A beautiful bike with a shaft drive and a very modern dash. Quickly outgrew it ( yes, the legs again) and got a XJ900 in white,red and blue. Was a member of CMA Crossriders in Krugersdorp and had a wonderful time.
Then decided to leave biking for awhile until the bug bit again. I knew I wanted something big so decided to get a secondhand Honda CBX from Pro Honda in Craighall Park. On the first ride to Haarties it broke down and leaked oil from every possible part in the engine. I was really disappointed and the hell in. I demanded a replacement from Pro Honda. They would not refund me, but gave me the option to upgrade ( and pay in ) to get my first VFR ! It was in pearl white. A beautiful which sounded like a bike !
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 VFR750white_3
I really loved this bike, but later traded it in on another VFR70, but this time in black. Another beautiful bike. Never gave a days problem !
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 VFR750black_3
Then Honda decided to release the Honda VFR800 ! I just HAD to have one. The only pic I have of this bike was when I used to park it in my lounge as I had no garage at the time.
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 VFRlounge_2
I rode with the VFR club for a few years.Made some wonderful friends and did some amazing trips on the bike to my favourite place - Sabie. One of the ladies in the VFR club, Katje, rode a BMW 1150GS which I really fancied. At that time BMs were not that popular which was most probably the attraction.The only problem is that BMW would NOT trade in a Japanese bike for the GS. Thank goodness for Rupert's Bike Inn. He gladly traded in my VFR800 ( which I only paid R55 000 - brand new from the crate !) in for a Mandarin 1150GS !
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 1150GSmandarine
For the first few weeks, I was so depressed after having the smoothest,fastest, best all round tourer - VFR - that I had got rid of for a tractor ! The GS took lot of getting used to but I have never looked back since.
Of course BMW released a new version of the 1150GS in a new colour, so I just had to have it in Sunshine Yellow.
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 1150GSsunshine
At the time was riding with the JHB Central BMW club. Met some great people and did some wonderful breakfast runs with them.
Can't remember why, but attended the Pretoria BMW club with a friend Shawn. Although we both live in JHB, we decided to move to this club and have been members ever since. At that time Brian Canoo organised at 10 day, 4500km trip to the Buff. I traded in the 1150GS for a 1150RT.
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 1150RT_2
We had the most fantastic trip. The RT was the best suited bike for this trip.
Although the RT was a great bike, I needed some excitement in my life, so changed completely again.
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 K1200S_Sabie
The K1200S is the BEST BMW Bike I have EVER owned ! The ESA was a pleasure and the CENTRE STAND a must ! ( Jamie , your cue). When this bike was 1 month old and had 1000kms on the clock, I was T-boned by a guy in an Audi A4. This was my first ( and last ) bike accident ever. His car's bumper crushed my foot breaking 2 metatarsels.which now have pins in them.Was a huge wake-up call, and got off very lightly - also largely due to wearing correct clothing - full leathers,boots,gloves,proper helmet !
As soon as I could walk, I was back on the bike and back riding in Sabie .
I kept this bike for a year and decided to go back to the most versatile bike available - 1200GS Adventure ! Great tourer with a 33l tank !
What next ?
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 DSC03223_2
DeonP
DeonP
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 469
My bike : 1200GS ADVENTURE
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 14th July 2008, 22:19

Great story

deonp wrote:........What next ?
maybe a K1300S? Smile

deonp wrote:.......and the CENTRE STAND on the K12S a must
never......it falls into the same category as a top box on a K12S.......a nice square upright one bolt onto a strong and visible robust bracket Shocked
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 16th July 2008, 10:32

Question to Jamie - if the rest of your family is such avid bikers why dont we see tham along on the tours and rides. LeRoy
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 16th July 2008, 12:06

LeRoy Olivier wrote:..........if the rest of your family is such avid bikers why dont we see tham along on the tours and rides......

not if........they are Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

few reasons:

- the most obvious, the don’t ride BM's. Wink I know there is not really anything preventing them (not counting the opinion of my friend J Evil or Very Mad ) but two Jap bikes sort of stand out in a group of twenty BM's.......just ask Stienie.

- their idea of "hanging out" with friends almost always differ from ours. Smile I can only imagine – and I’m not talking on their behalf – that association with a bunch of 40+, 50+, 60+……..friends, might not be a preferred choice for them.

- being young men, there are very often young ladies involved on trips. Cool I for one am no too keen to let them ride as pillions on Superbikes over distance – if only for the reason that it is very uncomfortable. There is therefore more often than not, a car traveling with – not the way the club does things barring a support vehicle. It also suits us in a way as Superbikes have limited luggage carrying capabilities.

We are doing our own thing very often anyway…….it’s nice, we can almost do a rally all by ourselves. So, ample opportunities to ride and to ride together……more than what is actually feasible at the current fuel prices anyway. A breakfast run of 300km can easily top R1000.00 for the four bikes and that is only counting fuel and breakfast. Crying or Very sad Hard if there is only one wallet.

Then- and here I need to be careful in word choice – the question of association as pre-requisite for biking…….THIS IS A PERSONNAL OPINION ONLY AND I DO RESPECT THE OPINION OF OTHERS THAT MIGHT DIFFER.

Although I thoroughly enjoy the company of fellow club members – can not think of one single trip which was not very memorable – I (and somehow the rest of the clan feels the same) don’t have to have company in the form of a more official structure or grouping in order to enjoy my bike/s. The beauty of our relationship with the boys is that ever so often I started kitting up to go for a ride without saying anything, only to find that when I leave, there are 1,2 and sometimes 3 bikes coming with.

Struggling to express my feelings here but guess what I’m trying to say is the status quo has developed over time and suits us just fine.

Must admit, because we ride together so often and know each other’s riding styles so well, I do miss them during a club trip.
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 16th July 2008, 16:11

Was just a thought - seeing as the BMW bike is not a prerequirement - but as you mentioned - youngsters dont like hanging around with people older than themselves. All i can say is enjoy doing what you love most with those that you love most. It is not always that one can find a common ground between parents and children that all enjoy. And as you said - you can do a run on your own. Safe riding. LeRoy
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 16th July 2008, 16:23

Maybe the club can consider giving a year's free membership to someone that switches from another bike brand to BMW?
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 234
My bike : R1200 GS Adventure
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by gone away 16th July 2008, 23:41

Oh well, guess it's my turn now. Cool Dorothy and I started riding (bikes) in May 2004. One Dakar 650GS (his) and one yellow 650GS (hers) were delivered by Lifestyle to our house before we even could ride!! Rolling Eyes

Did our basic course at BMW Rider Academy at Zwartkop Raceway, got our learners....and the rest is history. Very Happy
Here a picture of us with the 650's at Zwartkops - early days!
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 Zwartkopsracewayoffroad-10Oct2004Da

After a while I decided to get a 1150RT and did many trouble free kilometers on her. If the bike looks familiar it is not a surprise – it’s pictured with Deon Prommel at the bridge over the Orange River in Upington. It was him that I bought it from when he bought the K1200S.

Here it is with me pictured at the bridge over the Orange River in Upington – this time it belonged to me!
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 HPIM0811-DaveonbridgeoverOrangeRive

Shortly after that, Dorothy, tired of being left behind bought the R1150R. With it came the number plate..
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 Drakensville1-4December2006036Dorot

By then I had decided to upgrade to a R1200RT, sold my 1150RT, and then was told the bike I was going to buy had been sold two days earlier. Initially a bit miffed Evil or Very Mad – but then things happen for a reason. Wink

Took the 1200GS for a ride and then ended up with a 1200GS Adventure and have not missed the 1200RT at all.
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 Buffalo2008_898a

Got Dorothy a 200cc Skygo in December 2007 with the idea of seeing if she would take to dirt road riding to eventually get her a 1200GS.
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 P1010583

Needless to say, Dorothy’s 1150RT made way for a 1200GS in March this year.
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 Reccegroup

I then decided to eventually trade in the Dakar, which I still had not sold, for a bike I saw and wanted at AMID in 2006 – a R1200S, that I have now only had for 3 months, but am enjoying immensely.
Tell us who you are? - Page 2 5_Snowball_Run_2008_005_11

Guess with all the bikes in a short 4 years it is time to hold on to them for a while.

Don’t know if we are as ‘crazy’ about bikes as Jamie and Deon, but probably not too far behind!!

gone away
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 17th July 2008, 07:39

DaveS wrote:Don’t know if we are as crazy as Jamie and Deon, but probably not too far behind!!

fixed lol!
'

Guess the "fixed" version is not too far off either. I mean, who in their right mind will go for breakfast in.............Dullstroom (from Centurion), traveling there via Lydenbrurg all the way in a light drissle and doing 600km in the process? Shocked .............man that highest tar road in "Transvaal" is a lekka road

thanks for your intro
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by Perske 23rd July 2008, 18:40

Boy oh boy... some of you lads and gents have real pedigree. I wonder if you have some kind of biking title or what.

Well i am Danie and my family usually tag along. That is the whole family of Wife and daughter. Should one of these days get a side-car for the little one as the mother is vertical disabled (to short to ride her own bike).

Well i am not going to show pictures of my "family tree" but here a short rundown of my pride:

Yamaha 125
Yamaha XT 250
Honda XR 200
Suzuki VS 800
Honda Fire Blade
BMW GS 1150
BMW GS 1200

I had a non-riding period of 4 years after the XR. Had to sell it to buy a wedding ring. What a mistake...not the wife...i mean the ring...could have given her a quadbike for a present though...
Perske
Perske
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 113
My bike : 1200GSA
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 23rd July 2008, 19:14

nice collection of bikes there
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky 23rd July 2008, 21:50

Well my name is Willie le Hanie. I started in 1975 with my first bike an AC 50 Suzuki.
I always had a bike in the garage and the current one the GSA 1200 is number 16. I joined the Pretoria BMW club in 1996 when I bought my first BM and it was a R1100 R in red. I loved it, sold it and then went without a bike for 2 long years, which was the longest time since 1975 without a bike. Then I bought a Suzuki 1200 Bandit and really enjoyed it till a friend fell in love with it and made me sell it to him. I bought the K 1200 GT in 2004 loved it very much. I did a lot of rallies on it including 3 Buffaloes. I got the itch and it was time to get a new one and decided on the R1200 GSA.
I would have loved to keep the GT, but you only have so much space in the garage and still having the scooter to ride in town it had to go.
I do not know what the GSA is like and will make a decision in due time as the kilos roll on and the two of us get to know each other.
Chunky
Chunky
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 85
My bike : R1200 GS Adventure & PGO G-MAX
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 24th July 2008, 09:41

I am now only at the point where most of you guys start from: “My first real bike was a ….” It makes me excited to think one day I might also have such a long list to reminisce about!

Thanks guys! You are an inspiration
cheers
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 24th July 2008, 09:53

My dad bought his first bike (R60/6) when I turned 21 - my mom flatly refused to let him have a bike while I am still in my rough and tumble years. This was eleven years ago. He is now on his 19th bike (of which only 2 was not BMW - one was a Honda 600 (offroad), and the other is a Yamaha Tenere 660 which he still has alongside his R1150RT.

The point I am trying to make is this - if you make the decision that you are a motorcycle rider (I am deliberately not using the word biker, as the rest of the world tends to stereotype a bit around that), you are more than likely to stay one for the rest of your life. More so if you have a defined preference for BMW. I am now owning my second one (R1200GSA), the first was a R1100GS. And I am very sure it will not be my last. I will ride motorcycles and specifically BMW's until I go to the Big Rally in the sky.

oh - and on the "climbing the corporate ladder" comment you made. Don't climb the corporate ladder, OWN the corporate ladder!
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 27th July 2008, 01:01

Sias wrote: . . . You are an inspiration
cheers

I totally agree.
I dont think I will ever own anything else than a GS - and also not more than one at a time - but reading/learning about your 'motorcycle lives' and your enthusiasm, truly inspires this newby - Thank you!!
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerrit 28th July 2008, 14:48

I am Gerrit Geyser. Bought my first bike (R1150GS) in Dec 2006 after my dad, Faan, introduced me to the wonderful world of bikes. I live in Irene and work in Garsfontein. When I need to commute to Johannesburg, I take the bike. What a nice experience to drive through the traffic jams. I bought a new R1200GS in April 2007. We’ve completed the Extreme silver during 2007 and the final trip in April 2008.
Gerrit
Gerrit
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 33
My bike : R1200GS
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://www.businessconsultancy.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 28th July 2008, 17:07

Ahhhh.......welkom aanboord Gerrit. cheers

.......al het jy al op 6 Junie aangesluit.
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Tell us who you are? - Page 2 Empty grin...

Post by lady bikermouse 28th July 2008, 17:44

hi guys and girls

i am a lady rider waiting anxiously for the bank to approve finance on my new F650 GS...

it's all my dad's fault. he started riding bikes when he was still very young (now aged 70), and i grew up too slow to my mind before he let me take a trip round the garden on his old Honda 250 (1970's somewhere). we used to visit my uncle who was in forestry, trailing two scramblers down to Stormsriver and have a helluva blast ripping through the forest.

i used to own a Honda (OK, so my dad was a big Honda fan) scrambler, a little 125 cc darling that i loved until i finally had to grow up and start driving a car. so i left biking for a long, long time...

a few months ago i finally gave in to the itch in my bum and bought a secondhand Funduro. still a little nervous, never having ridden big bikes (hehe) before, but still LOVE the thrill of the ride! so now i want and will get a new bike, safer (the 98 F stalled on me a few times on the road, so will give the old man a present he can tinker with to his heart's content) for a lady who does not want to be stuck on the side of the road!

checks my phone... dang, still no call...

anyhoo.. watch out for me, will probably join the BM club as well at some stage.

regards
M
lady bikermouse
lady bikermouse
I have to post more . . .

Number of posts : 7
My bike : 2008 BMW G650 Xcountry!!! Yeee-Haaa!!!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 28th July 2008, 17:51

Great move!
See you on Friday night at Bavarian?
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by lady bikermouse 28th July 2008, 18:01

ummm BMW, silly question maybe but can i come in my car? i am not overly fond of riding at night, and if i dont have my new bike by then, will DEFINITELY not travel at night on the Funduro. lemme know please?
thanks
M
lady bikermouse
lady bikermouse

Number of posts : 7
My bike : 2008 BMW G650 Xcountry!!! Yeee-Haaa!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 28th July 2008, 19:03

no problem, get there by car, by bus, by taxi or which ever way you prefer........but get there. It's only once a month and if you miss this one........well then we must all wait for another month.

Btw......nothing wrong with a Honda......in fact........ cheers

Oh yes, welcome to the forum
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 28th July 2008, 19:17

Most people come by car on a friday night - I do not like heaving myself onto a bike after a few drinks. Especially after dark. Some people say 8 metres from bottle to throttle, I prefer 8 hours!
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 28th July 2008, 23:20

Back under a new profile. My profile DaveS has been changed to 'gone away' and I have chosen to 'lock' that profile. It would appear that some have deemed that posts made under that profile were nonsensical and made only to push up my 'post' count. Embarassed

So much so that a number of posts were deleted by Admin - so be it. Evil or Very Mad

Thus the current post count of 96 on that profile will remain at the level ad infinitum. I will not be posting on that profile again. Cool

In order to prevent any other misconceptions regarding posts I have re-registered under this new profile starting again with this my first post. I will limit future posts to matters of consequence so as not be be accused if such misconduct again.
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 29th July 2008, 00:16

Although not in agreement, I for one will respect your decision.

For the record, I definitely would not want to see (hear) less of you. It would also be a sad day when humour/chirping/small talk disappear from our joint.

This forum per se (in it’s previous jacket), tried out a more formal way. A way that developed over time – not necessarily guided by someone – in which very little chirping and small talk took place and to put it mildly………it was not very successful that way.

I’m not saying humour is the only reason why this attempt of ours is so much more successful but as we go along, we – the members – are busy shaping the forum and thus far, I like what I see. I mean it was possible before to post a topic, get 50+ views without a single reply. The whole interactive thingy went for a loop and the effect of that.......the original poster just post less and less........a downward spiral all the way.

Word got out between club members that this forum is the place to be hence the 80 forum members and more than 1000 posts already (ok to be more exact, 78 members as you and admin are counting double at the moment) .....and counting. This is working.

Three pillars of a good and healthy forum are: (without stating the obvious of no porn)

- No personal attacks
- Even if you disagree, never be disrespectful to others ........in Afrikaans, wees taktvol
- Don't keep it too technical, there must be room for small talk

We all came close to overstepping the boundries at some point or another......leave it for admin to sort, we have a good and capable admin here.

Spare a thought for our chief lady, she is also on the same learning curve as the rest of us

Guess what I'm saying (no appealing for), we want you back just the way you posted before

ps. for those that might have noticed certain transitions in this particular reply over the last 6 or so hours.........all the shaping thing. Smile Amazing how one’s perspective can change after some rest. Apologies if the original version might have offended someone…….maybe another lesson in it for me………never reply in the “spirit of the moment” Embarassed
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerrit 29th July 2008, 09:33

Thanks for the nice perspective on the forum. I agree that there must be room for the occasional humour and small talk.
Gerrit
Gerrit
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 33
My bike : R1200GS
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://www.businessconsultancy.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum