BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Bikers and their Toys

+8
tj
Corlia
DaveS
dakardrix
Marnus
mia
DeonP
Admin
12 posters

Go down

Bikers and their Toys Empty Bikers and their Toys

Post by Admin 29th November 2009, 12:41

Lots of bikes? Yes.
Hot? Yes.
Show and tell us about the Toy Run!?

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za

Back to top Go down

Bikers and their Toys Empty Re: Bikers and their Toys

Post by DeonP 29th November 2009, 23:07

Wasn't actually going to go this year after last year's mess on the highway. I was also on call this weekend, which makes it difficult to answer your phone ( even with a blue-tooth headset).
From my house, I could hear the bikes going past on the highway - just couldn't resist so joined the mass ride to Nasrec.
This year the ride was a breeze. Maybe was just lucky with the group I joined. Got to Nasrec quickly and without incident.
Managed to get many toys at Toys-R-Us very reasonably priced.
Bikers and their Toys DSC06309_2
Bikers and their Toys DSC06311_2
There were THOUSANDS of bikes at Nasrec. Getting in was very quick & well organised and marshalled
Bikers and their Toys DSC06317_2
Bikers and their Toys DSC06320_2
Bikers and their Toys DSC06329_2
The end result - THOUSANDS of toys !!
Bikers and their Toys DSC06330_2
DeonP
DeonP
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 469
My bike : 1200GS ADVENTURE
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Bikers and their Toys Empty Playing with the big toys

Post by mia 29th November 2009, 23:32

This is my first post and it'll probably take a long time until I post again, but after today's experience I really wanted to share this. Sorry for the long read, but I hope you get a sense of my perspective:

On Sunday morning I was dragged along by my unconventional parents to some motorcycling event when it hit me, we have managed to fit into the perfect norm. Mommy with a pink teddy, Daddy with a blue cricket bat. And me? Well, thanks to my diligent BMW parents, I was the only pillion wearing full riding attire in the blistering November heat. But, when putting a glisten in a child’s eye is the objective of the day, any complications encountered otherwise are easily ignored. The 27th Gauteng Toy Run was one of the most valuable experiences I have ever had the privilege to be a part of, and as a previously sceptical kid-in-a-motorcyclist-family, I have new found respect for the motorcycling community.

We are three daughters gradually spaced, which makes our house the equivalent of a toy museum with artefacts dating back to the eighties. So when an opportunity arrived for spring cleaning and selecting the army of teddies that were in good enough condition to pass on to new owners, my eyes were filled with tears of reminiscence (or maybe it was the amount of dust that have settled over the years...?). Nevertheless, I now know that somewhere there will be a girl as happy as I was to receive Bruno when my primary school boyfriend gave him to me. Before we get labelled as The Handmedowns, let me just mention our inspired trip to Makro as well. Since everyone can’t get stuffed toys we threw in a couple of manly racquets and of course, the blue cricket bat. Little did we know that transporting these gifts by motorbike is another challenge altogether.

In true BMW fashion, a quick coffee at Atterbury Shell served as the starting point on Sunday morning at 07:00 and I quickly learnt that what I thought was extravagant teddying, was only the beginning. I eventually tried to take pride in our bleak collection with the famous line ‘it’s the thought that counts’. At 07:30 with teddies strapped and racquets packed, we set off to the Colonnade (no, wait, the place across from it…). Thousands of bikers gathered in the sweltering parking lot, taking pictures of their friends’ now not só hardcore looking bikes. The faint sound of directions given on the PA system could be heard over the collective growl of excited riders and the worried yelps of on-looking mothers keeping their own kids away from the strategically fastened toys meant for less fortunate children. Amongst the chaos the BMW’s quickly sought each other out and the reunion made for a sense of coherence.

And we were off in our masses. As far the eye could see Zambesi was packed with two, and even three-wheeled wonders. Slowly, sweating, and smiling. At 80km/h it felt like these powerful bikes were taking a Sunday afternoon stroll, still, it’s better than those ticked off motorists who were stuck on the closed highway. This was my turning point: if I can get whole highways closed, I better look into this pastime more seriously… Needless to say, this luxury is not enough for some, since the superbikes still felt the need to pass at 160km/h. I could see they felt powerful, but somehow, it’s not that impressive when a 1000cc bike comes racing past with a Barbie dangling from its handlebars…

So when we eventually met up with these speed addicts at the Carousel, it was time to add our toys to the steadily growing pile (Goodbye Bruno…) and off with the boots. Meeting more club members as we relaxed in the shade, I realised why BMW is so addictive. Even as a non-biker I was proud to be part of this group. There is a sense of understanding in the way they ride, the way they relax, and the way they give. I encourage anyone who missed this year’s Toy Run to make an effort in 2010 and to contribute to putting a smile on a child’s face next Christmas.

mia
I have to post more . . .
I have to post more . . .

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 30th November 2009, 06:48

Wow Mia - you certainly have a talent for writing!

Yes - it was blisteringly hot. It was a sight to behold the masses of bikes at the gathering point, on the highway and at the Carousel parking lot. This being the first time it went that way, I guess the vendors at Carousel were caught somewhat unprepared for the huge number of hungry and thirsty people. After dropping off the presents, and having a "braaibroodjie", Dulinda and I decided to rather hit the road back home. Even though I was a bit ill, it was still worth the effort - and what a pity that we forgot the camera at home!!!
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 30th November 2009, 09:33

Wow Mia, stay online, not just one post! There is only one thing we like more than riding our bikes, and that is talking about them. And of course the experiences they expose us to. So its great reading your post, with your oldies (hehe) being one of the cornerstone families in the club. Heck, despite titles, your mom virtually runs this club!

So pour some more creative juices into our mix, I can see why they are so proud of their kids! cheers
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 30th November 2009, 09:54

So Mia - does this mean you are now getting a bike too? Smile
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Corlia 30th November 2009, 11:00

Like mother like daughter.... Very nice read Mia! Thank you for sharing your experience of this year's Toy Run!!
cheers cheers cheers
Corlia
Corlia
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 335
My bike : Dakar 650 GS Pillion
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 30th November 2009, 11:06

Dani

Ek het 'n uitstekende voorstel vir 'n baie goed gekwalifiseerde persoon wat jou kan bystaan met die Spoke & Piston!!!! Bikers and their Toys Icon_cheers - en die webtuiste!!!!!!!!! Bikers and their Toys Icon_cheers Bikers and their Toys Icon_cheers Bikers and their Toys Icon_cheers

Dit is seker nie nodig dat hierdie persoon volwaardige lidmaatskap van die klub moet kry nie. Siende dat haar tuisdorp Skelmbos is en dat sy dalk nog as 'student member' kwalifiseer, kan ons almal dink aan 'n plan.

Jis dit kan mos werk.

Wonder julle ook wie dit kan wees?? Bikers and their Toys Icon_lol
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 30th November 2009, 11:43

Hijack!!!! Hijack!!!!

Twisted Evil
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 30th November 2009, 11:54

Marnus wrote:Hijack!!!! Hijack!!!!

Twisted Evil

Moenie met my kallers ploeg nie!!! Bikers and their Toys Icon_evil Bikers and their Toys Icon_biggrin

Van kallers gepraat;

Sopas 'n bulletjie bygekry, 15 minute oud en sy ma (Trudie) noem hom Gifappel(tjie)
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by DeonP 30th November 2009, 13:59

Did anyone take pics of the Carousel Toy Run ?
Heard that there was a very good turn out.
DeonP
DeonP
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 30th November 2009, 14:15

deonp wrote:Did anyone take pics of the Carousel Toy Run ?
Heard that there was a very good turn out.
Alun sent me some, with one or two of ours ...

Pictures just don't do justice.. but these will give an idea anyway.

Briefing at Atterbury Shell
Bikers and their Toys Dsc02266

Alun's collection of gifts
Bikers and their Toys Dsc02261

Gathering at Colonnade Retail
Bikers and their Toys Dsc02283

Bikers and their Toys Dsc02284

Bikers and their Toys ToyRun098

Marius and new member (and old friend) Johan Toerien
Bikers and their Toys ToyRun011

At the Carousel
Bikers and their Toys Dsc02313

Bikers and their Toys ToyRun016

(Apologies for the poor quality of some of my pictures - a cell phone is not really a camera!)

Given so many bikes, the exit at Zambesi was understandably bit slow, but other than that, the day went very well!
An event worthwhile to attend!
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 1st December 2009, 13:14

Dani, seems like its time to pass on one of your two-wheeled toys? Shocked
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy-go-lucky 1st December 2009, 18:37

Well I was feeling rather ill Sunday morning with jippo guts. I been holding back the flu for few days already.

My bike was already decorated with toys and more toys that could not be tied securely to bike in backpack. I looked at my bike, seeing all those toys I bought for the unfortunate kids. It would not be right to take off the toys and keep them for next year. I may not be around to deliver them. You never know. So I got dressed in my riding gear, even feeling woozy. Took more medicine and a vitamin boost to kick my system into a functional state. Got on my bike to ride to our meat up point.

I got waves and hoots from road users on my way to Atterbury Shell. Made me feel much better about myself in doing the Toy Run even if I my not feeling so grand in the heat of the very humid morning.

With many bikers entering into Kolonnade Retail I lost our club members. I parked and began the search. Eventually I found our club and quickly took my bike to join the other bikes of our club. When we started to roll out of Kolonnade Retail we were together, by the time we actually left the grounds of Kolonnade Retail I was only with one club member. At the toll gate by the Carousel, I spotted Marius in front of me, so slotted in behind him for the remainder of the journey.

I did not expect such a good turn out considering the venue was changed from NASREC to Carousel due to safety of bikers through the major freeway road works. Tshwane Metro and the marshals did a superb job of making the trip safe for everyone, by closing off the freeway to normal traffic.

It was great to see everyone enjoying the day.
Happy-go-lucky
Happy-go-lucky
Your Friendly Black Knight

Number of posts : 378
My bike : BMW F650GS FL 2007
Yamaha TTR250 2009
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by daans 2nd December 2009, 13:00

I wouild like to add photo's to my posts but just can not seem to get it to work. Please can someone advise me how to do this.
daans
daans
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 17
My bike : 2005 R1150RT
Registration date : 2009-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by DeonP 2nd December 2009, 13:32

Always pleased to hear that people want to participate in the Forum.

It is really very simple. Jamie actually got me started and guided me through it. There may even be a posting by him on how to do it.
Perhaps Admin can assist.

It's quite simple. You firstly need to reduce the size of your photos. Then you upload them onto for example PHOTOBUCKET. Then you basically copy and paste the link when setting up your report back on this Forum. Sounds complicated, but really not.

If I get the chance this evening, will post EXAXCTLY how to do it.

Great that there are more participants on our Forum.

I always remember the words of that wise purple dinosaur , Barney, he says sharing is caring - How true !
DeonP
DeonP
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 2nd December 2009, 15:06

deonp wrote:You firstly need to reduce the size of your photos.

Not necessary - done automatically when you upload into photobucket - saves you loads of time. Wink Cool
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2nd December 2009, 15:41

How to post images

I think most of us started off with trial and error.. and patience.
You're welcome to contact me if you need further assistance Smile

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by DeonP 2nd December 2009, 16:00

Thanks Dani

Thanks Dave - learning all the time !!
DeonP