BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

BMW Eco 1000 Challenge

+2
LeRoy Olivier
GSing
6 posters

Go down

BMW Eco 1000 Challenge Empty BMW Eco 1000 Challenge

Post by GSing 15th July 2009, 21:21

The BMW Eco1000 website is now live.

Check it out here:

http://gseco1000.bmw-motorrad.co.za/Web/Default.aspx

Entry fee

The entry fee is R1 800 including VAT.

Meals included as follows:

■Start venue: Refreshments
■First night at the camp sites: a braai. (Please be sure to indicate this choice on the registration form)
■End destination in Gariep: dinner and breakfast

The fee excludes:

■excludes all camp fees and accommodation

So who's joining??
GSing
GSing
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-03-03

http://www.gps4africa.co.za

Back to top Go down

BMW Eco 1000 Challenge Empty Re: BMW Eco 1000 Challenge

Post by LeRoy Olivier 15th July 2009, 21:43

Camping - presume this is predominantly a GS ride.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 15th July 2009, 22:04

I am actually very, very, very disappointed with this whole idea. Evil or Very Mad I went through the web site and it seems that the actual route is outsourced to the participants. It even looks as if you can take an all-tar route there and back. And then having to pay R1800 for a braai, dinner and breakfast??? This is taking everything that made the GS Challenge something to look forward to and threw it out the door. Just like an ABBG, but only for GS'es?

At least there is still the "mini GS Challenge" somewhere in around Sabie to look forward to.

Whomever thought of this should have his/her GS taken away.

No thanks. I'll rather join a Sharkie trip - for mahala...

KTM is going to have a field day with this one Sad
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 16th July 2009, 10:42

I have just gained access to the new BMW Eco Challenge website. You can find it here.

I scanned through the pages, trying to see what this whole thing is about, and as I read each page, I became more and more irritated. At this point in time, I am quite angry, so pardon me if this reads a bit like a vloermoer. (tantrum, in other words...).

This is an event replacing the coveted GS Challenge. An event that is dressed up as some sort of quasi Eco event - but all it REALLY is, is a drive down to Gariep dam, a braai there, and a drive back home. You even get to pick your own bloody route, or you can do a dealer route - a route that I presume will be developed by each dealer, to have on and off road sections at the discretion of the dealer. Okay - let me breathe a bit and think about this....

Last year, we had the extremely unfortunate death of a fellow rider on the orange route - the first death on the GS challenge since the event started (there were other deaths, but these occurred on the way to or back from the challenges in previous years). So I think BMW got a BIG scare (with our society becoming more litigious by the day), and is unable or unwilling to introduce certain minimum skill or experience criteria for each route. Also, the preparation might have become a little much for them, and there was not much profit in there. Regardless of the opportunity they give their customers to really experience the bike in a controlled environment. Now they are shuffling the responsibility and burden to the dealerships?

So the Eco Challenge is born. A GS biker gathering. Like the Buffalo. Like the Paradise. Like all the other hodge-podge things you read about. The GS Challenge was the BIG event. Last year was my first, and would definitely have been the first of many, many to come - in that format. It means that every time I get onto the bike to do offroad, it is in preparation for the Challenge. It means that I read about technique, about equipment settings. Everything to be able to enjoy areas in the country where one could not normally get to, without suffering damage to bike and person.

And it is not like the Eco is cheap, in any case... The cost is R1800 per person, including the following: Refreshments at start, a braai for the first evening, dinner and breakfast in Gariep. And that is IT. It excludes accommodation, camp fees, and any other meals.

So what will my approach be? Well, the GS challenge was enormously expensive for me last year, had to get quite a few things (like offroad boots, camelbak, compressor and other odds and ends), total cost around R10000 (including the Challenge entry fee, of course). This club organises fantastic GS events over weekends which I did not partake in because of time and responsibility issues. I will focus my energy on these events now, gladly paying R10k per year for these different trips, and making a plan around the responsibilities and time.

This is not meant to discourage anyone from doing the Eco Challenge - I would love to hear the story from riders that have been there. Me? Don't bother looking for me in the campsite or on the road. There is just no point, is there?

I posted a poll elsewhere on the site - here
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 234
My bike : R1200 GS Adventure
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 16th July 2009, 10:46

Ja nee,

There are two threads on this topic...

Admin can we join them please???

Thanks !!

http://bmwclubs.heavenforum.org/other-trips-f29/bmw-eco-challenge-1000-t948.htm
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 16th July 2009, 12:37

KnopKop wrote:...There are two threads on this topic... Admin can we join them please???

Thanks !!

http://bmwclubs.heavenforum.org/other-trips-f29/bmw-eco-challenge-1000-t948.htm

There are actually 3 threads now: All under the same heading..
Admin will lock 2 of them..
Please go ahead on the Poll thread.

http://bmwclubs.heavenforum.org/bmw-eco-1000-challenge-f131/bmw-eco-challenge-1000-t948.htm?sid=80e3a66d2937c971aa067088d9d20290

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down