BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Formula One Fanatics?

+4
Mud Pooh-bah
wingman
Joe
GSlady
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Formula One Fanatics? Empty Formula One Fanatics?

Post by GSlady 21st May 2009, 18:28

Practice session 1: Barrichello the fastest (Hamilton took third.)
Practice session 2: Barrichello clocked the 3rd fastest time in (Hamilton second fastest.)

2008: Hamilton won last year in Monaco (Barrichello was 6th)

Will Button take his 5th win of the season? Can McLaren and Hamilton defend the title?
Even though politics, rules & budgets have Formula One in a crisis, I can't wait for Sunday’s race!
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Formula One Fanatics? Empty Re: Formula One Fanatics?

Post by Joe 22nd May 2009, 09:28

I reckon Ferarri have lost interest in this year's championship, so don't expect much more from them ... Not to sure if Brawn can keep up the pace, the others will start catching up, holding thumbs though !!
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 148
My bike : K1200S Indigo Blue
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 25th May 2009, 08:46

Brawn kept the pace in style! Doesn't look like anyone can beat Brawn this year.

I also thought Ferrari lost interest - but they closed the gap a bit - Ferrari supporters can smile after yesterday.

McLaren ... I'm a McLaren fan...
After a new wing was fitted Hamilton was one of the quickest in the last few laps.
What will happen if Hamilton's car was a Brawn-one?
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 25th May 2009, 16:55

Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS)

The manufacturers will probably spend another billion dollars (collectively), to find out which system is best, just as they did with the "cost-cutting" 2.4 ltr V8. So much for saving money in the F1 series.

F1 seems to be all about what is happening off the track and it is just getting worse with each passing day
wingman
wingman
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 25th May 2009, 17:35

Just a bit of Trivia

FIA Super Licence
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The FIA Super Licence is a qualification allowing the licence holder to take part in Formula One Grands Prix as a driver. The licence is issued by the FIA upon request.

To qualify for an FIA Super Licence the requesting driver must already be the holder of a Grade A competition licence, and additionally meet the requirements of the FIA International Sporting Code, Appendix L. These requirements state that the driver must be either the reigning champion in a lower category of motor sport, for example Formula 3 (British, Italian or Japanese championship, or Euroseries) or GP2 Series (formerly known as Formula 3000), or must have consistently finished well in these categories. For example, a driver finishing in the first three positions five times within the last two years in GP2 will be eligible for a Super Licence.

Additionally, drivers who have competed in the IndyCar Series are eligible for a Super Licence if they finished within the first six places of the drivers championship. This allows drivers from the United States domestic series to move into Formula One without first taking part in other FIA sanctioned events. Under exceptional circumstances Appendix L also allows the FIA to award a Super Licence to a driver who does not meet the normal criteria if a vote reveals unanimous agreement by the members, and provided that the driver has completed 300 kilometres of testing at racing speeds in a current car.
wingman
wingman
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 21st June 2009, 10:11

wingman wrote: ... the driver must be either the reigning champion in a lower category of motor sport, ....

My point exactly.. all the F1 drivers are good drivers.. Hamilton is the perfect example: How could you be on top of it the one year and then battling the next?
Button is another good example: last year he was sitting at the back and this year he already won 6 of the 7 races - and maybe another rabbit from the hat later today?? It's all about the car. I think Formula 1 has become way too technical.

This is what Hamilton said after yesterday's poor performance in the Qualifying Rounds (Q1 to be exact!):
“I’m in my home grand prix, I’d love to be here, with the support I’m getting from my fans, to pay them back with a good result but I don’t have a good car. I’m on the limit and it’s just so slow.” And implying there are further struggles to come, the 24-year-old conceded: “I hope there is [light at the end of the tunnel] at some stage, but I don’t think it’s going to be with this car.”

Is it the same mechanics? the same engineers? the same McLaren? Can't they adapt when things aren't going the right way??

Of course the big story now is the split in F1 -
What does Max Mosely exactly want? It seems to me he has Force India and Williams ..
Will be very interesting to see the Where, What & How of the rebel group (the best cars and the best drivers)...
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 22nd June 2009, 13:32

I see the Mosely Clan have made a bit of a U turn
wingman
wingman
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 22nd June 2009, 14:09

He will never make a U-turn.. maybe backing-up a bit because he now realise the rebels are serious.
Still to be seen if they can work things out and if they do, if things will ever go 'well' without a split?
I still enjoy the racing.. and after all: What's life without a lunatic or two..
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 22nd June 2009, 14:15

I think it is time to get rid of Messrs Ecclestone and Mosley. They lost touch with reality and if a split is what it takes, then FOTA must split. I would like to see technology used at it's edge. Not sure if all the current regulations allows cutting edge technology. A new series with a bit more overtaking will also be more marketable.
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 22nd June 2009, 14:36

Yes... and they should not be allowed to litter, or change lanes without indicating - it's only the start of bigger crime, such as industrial espionage...
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 22nd June 2009, 14:41

lol! lol! lol!
Marnus, moenie dat ek jou vang "hi-jack" nie!!
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 22nd June 2009, 14:58

Back on track

I want Formula 1 to continue and succeed. Frankly the only group that seems to have a clue is FOTA, and thankfully the drivers seem to be supporting FOTA 100%.
Speaking as one of the fans, which I have been since the early 60’s, here’s my opinion. The fans care about 4 things:
• Drivers
• Teams
• Circuits
• Research and development
Although the lunatic, “Mad Max”, is the ringleader of the latest and greatest stupidity, I actually blame Bernie more than Max. It has been Bernie who has treated Formula One as his personal plaything, cutting deals which pay little attention to the teams and none whatsoever to the fans. In a way, Max is reacting to the overstuffed state of Bernie’s cash machine. But, he is retort on trying to out-Bernie, to be even more dictatorial than Napoleon.
wingman
wingman
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 22nd June 2009, 16:55

Marnus wrote:Yes... and they should not be allowed to litter, or change lanes without indicating - it's only the start of bigger crime, such as industrial espionage...

Marnus if you keep like this I will let Mr Max use you as slave in one of his weekly S&M role plays Very Happy
Words may harm me, but chains and whips excite me Twisted Evil

Is jou skopstok nou al reg?? Daar is so klein bultjie naby die Zambok wat ek jou wil gaan wys. Colin het hom maklik op en af gestap Wink
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 22nd June 2009, 17:05

Yip I agree with wingman. Bernie is the little twit that sits behind the whole thing. As long as the money comes in he is happy. He will let anything go to make a few extra bucks i.e. closing down Siolverstone, night race etc.

Max is just basically enforcing mr Ecclestones ideas. And as he has some Nazi ancestors, it seems that he is doing a great job.

Go FOTA!!!!!
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 10th July 2009, 12:06

While the first training session is on the way for Sundays’ Nurburgring GP,
I read that James Allen (journalist) thinks a long-term solution is within reach and that things are not quite as dramatic as they seem…
me thinks it is rather dramatic when teams walk out of meetings!

And will Alonso swap Renault for Ferrari? He denied that there is any agreement yet …
waar ' n rokie trek, is 'n vuurtjie.

Politics or not, it is still great to watch them race..
Enjoy the weekend's racing!
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by martin 10th July 2009, 15:56

I agree with Wingman, I also want to see F1 continue, as i support Toyota and if F1 doese not go on for at least 20 years I will never see them win
martin
martin
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 56
My bike : 1200GS , R90S
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Formula One Fanatics? Empty Massa slowly recovering

Post by GSlady 27th July 2009, 14:37

Ja I know Hamilton is not everyone's friend, but I like him - and am so glad for his win yesterday in Hungary!

However, Massa's condition is something to be concerned about . . . Let's hope he recover in such a way that he will be driving again?!
From the official Formula1 website:

"Injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa’s condition is said to be improving, according to a Hungarian government official. Massa remains stable in a Budapest hospital following his high-speed crash at the Hungaroring on Saturday, in which his helmet was struck by a loose spring from the car of fellow Brazilian Rubens Barrichello.

Massa underwent emergency surgery for a fractured skull on Saturday evening before being placed in an artificially induced coma to aid his recovery. He was awoken briefly for a CT scan on Sunday morning, the signs of which were positive, before resting peacefully again overnight.

On Monday a Hungarian Defence Ministry spokesman reported that Massa is now able to communicate ‘actively’ and can move his hands and legs, suggesting that he has not suffered significant brain damage.

"He's woken up (from sedation) more and more often now and he's able to communicate actively, that is, he reacts when he's talked to,” Istvan Bocskai told Hungarian television. “We are optimistic - in our hope a slow recovery is beginning."

and more news on Massa:
BUDAPEST, July 27 (Xinhua) -- Ferrari's Felipe Massa communicated with doctors, moving his hands and feet on request, after Saturday's cranial surgery, a spokesman for the Hungarian Defense Ministry said on public television (MTV) on Monday. ... Bocskai added that his doctors were optimistic about his condition although they expected recovery to be lengthy. At this time it appears Massa suffered no brain damage, although it was still a bit early to tell, he said.
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 27th July 2009, 17:19

Who will take over from Massa

I thought it would be best to start this thread now, as it's inevitably going to be discussed over the next few weeks.

Assuming Felipe will not be fit for the next race, who is likely to replace him, at least for that event?

I'm guessing it comes down to four candidates:

Marc Gene
Luca Badoer
Michael Schumacher
Alonso

With the Renault team facing a 1 race ban, Alonso could inforce his contract that states that Renault must have a seat available for him at every race

Are there any more in the frame?

Outside shots, if they are looking for a longer term (i.e. rest of season) replacement, maybe Tonio Liuzzi, a fellow Italian. There aren't many others who would be available and up to speed with an F1 car.

Any thoughts?
wingman
wingman
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 28th July 2009, 11:19

There is already rumours that Schumacher have been contacted to return from retirement and race for Ferrari Shocked
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Formula One Fanatics? Empty Schumi it is!

Post by GSlady 30th July 2009, 09:10

I'm not as clued-up as wingman on this topic, but all I can say: I'm delighted!
Can't wait to see what Schumi will do behind the F1-wheel again!

And even more delighted to hear Massa is recovering so well that he will be discharged within the next few days!

Sad news of course is BMW's withdrawal.. but on the other hand Darryl, they dont have one point so far this season..
Let's hope car sales will pick up again and the friction in F1 gets sorted out soon.
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 30th July 2009, 09:39

I am not expecting that Schumi will set the world alight. They say that life begins at 40 and so does all the ailments.

I personally would have gone for one of the younger test drivers. Schumi had an motorcycle accident in Feb and injured his neck and he will have to pass a fitness test first.

If I were in Ferarri's shoes I would have developed new talent for the future. But maybe Ferrari do not see their future in F1 anymore.....

BMW were in my opinion doing more harm to their brand name with their poor results in F1. In these times one need to invest your efforts where you get the returns. I wonder how long BMW will keep going with the Superbikes. They will need to get some results in the next season or they might just be sidelined as well....
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 30th July 2009, 21:59

Yes. Life begins at 40.. Muddy? What ailments? Shocked Smile

Great to read that Massa is recuperating so well - he even thinks of racing in Valencia!
Strong guy this, he doesn't give up!
But doctors have ruled out a return to Formula One this season, although Massa was already sending warnings that Michael Schumacher's comeback may be short-lived - I'm sure Schumi will be fit enough.

Last edited by GSlady on 14th August 2009, 18:50; edited 2 times in total
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BON 31st July 2009, 11:06

GSlady wrote:Yes. Life begins at 40.. Muddy? What ailments? Shocked Smile

Great to read that Massa is recuperating so well - he even thinks of racing in Valencia!
Strong guy this, he doesn't give up!

Of course not.....He is a BRAZILIAN GUY !!!!!!!!! Wink
BON
BON
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 176
My bike : R 1200 GS (RSA)
R 1200 GS ADV (BRA)
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 3rd August 2009, 10:44

Mud Pooh-bah wrote:... Schumi had an motorcycle accident in Feb and injured his neck and he will have to pass a fitness test first...

Supersport.com:
"Schumacher's fitness programme involves up to four physiotherapy sessions a day as well as endurance and other exercises designed specifically for F1 drivers.
"We will be working with two physiotherapists over the next two or three weeks to ensure we can achieve all our tasks," said Dr Johannes Peil, (whose team at the Bad Neuheim sports clinic has treated Schumacher for the last nine years.)
While Schumacher is well-known as a fitness fanatic, Peil said there would be no chance that the seven-time world champion could overdo his preparations this time around.
"We won't have to hold him back this time as the challenges are so numerous and the time so short," said Peil, who added that he noticed Schumacher's huge desire to make this comeback a success.
"It gives us hope that we will achieve the results we need in order for him to race. He wants to make it. Schumacher's complete professionalism stands behind this preparation."
Peil refused to comment specifically on the neck injury Schumacher picked up in February when he fell off a motorbike, saying only that "all injuries" a driver has picked up in his career would have to be taken into account.
"We try our best to balance things accordingly. But we will only know if he can drive when all the tests have been concluded," said Peil.

Time will tell.
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 14th August 2009, 18:54

wingman wrote:Who will take over from Massa

I'm guessing it comes down to four candidates:

Marc Gene
Luca Badoer
Michael Schumacher
Alonso .....

Pity we won't see Schumi on the F1 circuit in 2 weeks.
You were right Muddy - he didn't pass the test.

so.. Luca Badoer it is.
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next