BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Geocaching

+6
Mud Pooh-bah
Daleen
GSlady
Tony R
JR
dakardrix
10 posters

Go down

Geocaching Empty Geocaching

Post by dakardrix 8th May 2009, 17:23

At breakfast today MadnohB asked me what is this geocaching thing that I keep on mentioning (and post links to)... Question

I thought most people with bikes and GPS's knew about it - basically it's a worldwide treasure hunt for adults. And families. pirat

From the BMW Motorrad web site: http://www.bmwmotorrad.co.za/lifestyle/gps/default.asp

All you need is a GPS (even a phone GPS) and voila! Go and check on www.geocaching.com where is the closest (or furthest for a bike trip!) geocache (or 'cache', pronounced cash) and go searching.

The container could be as big as a 20 liter bucket (rare), 2 liter ice cream (more common) or a 35mm film cannister (very common) or smaller. The basic requirement is that it contains a piece of paper as a log sheet where you write your name and then log it on the web site as well. You leave the container with log there, and if there is space you trade stuff - anything from a pencil to a McDonalds toy or a memory stick. Rule is if you take something, leave something else.

Then there are geocoins and TB's (travelbugs), will tell more if anyone is interested.

alien
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Geocaching Empty Re: Geocaching

Post by JR 8th May 2009, 18:11

dakardrix wrote:.......I thought most people with bikes and GPS's knew about it......

yeh right........ geek

btw, thanks for this Razz

and here I was all the time thinking the GPS was to measure maximum speed.........

on a serious note, thanks for the explanation........en volgende keer as jy in tale begin praat, gee onderskrifte
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 8th May 2009, 18:16

Ja swaer! study Rolling Eyes

BTW, you are always faster than the GPS max speed, as a GPS is only correct on a 100% flat road... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it... rabbit
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony R 9th May 2009, 09:26

I was about to go onto Google to see what Geocaching was and then voila. On the forum the explanation. You must have been reading minds. Very interesting.

Tony R
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 225
My bike : Sadly no bike. Finances forced the sale of my Tigger.
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 9th May 2009, 15:39

FTF - First to Find: There is often, ok always, a race between cachers to get the FTF. If you are a premium member (where you pay an annual amount, not required to play the game though) then you can get immediate e-mails the moment a new cache is published. Think they even do Twitter now, haven't tested it yet... The race is then on to get there first! bounce

People rush from offices, or the middle of the night, whenever. You also get that a couple of cachers will bump into each other at the site, and if it is a difficult hide, work together to find it. A joint FTF is then declared.

Sometimes a cache is placed in such a remote area that it can take weeks, months or even years to find!
Check out this one for example: Chilly Willy at Byrd Surface Camp Throw these co-ords into Google Earth (in the search) to see where it is: S 80° 00.880 W 119° 34.094 cheers

There is also an unfound one close to Dullstroom, looks accessible to a GS... Hoogste punt: Mpumalanga ...mmmm Rolling Eyes
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 9th May 2009, 16:22

wil jy nou meer Cool (with recognition to Deon P Wink )...........so leer mens nê
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 9th May 2009, 16:39

dakardrix wrote:... looks accessible to a GS... Hoogste punt: Mpumalanga ...mmmm Rolling Eyes
Is dit hoekom ons 6:30 ry? scratch
Klink na 'n plan...?
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 9th May 2009, 16:44

hehe... nee, so effe uit die pad uit. Ek mag dalk daar om ry op pad terug.
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 26th January 2010, 20:44

I am starting the planning on a geocaching event. It will be suited to both S-riders and even more to GS riders. I.e. some caches people with normal sedan cars can do, for some you'll need clearance/a bakkie.

Would love club members to join in force. You can make up a team of 1, 2, 4, whatever.

More details here:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=9ea7f83f13f47525775ca4b6e2a31ee8&showtopic=240749

Disclaimer: Geocaching as a sport and especially events are non-profit and commercial activities disallowed.
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Daleen 27th January 2010, 10:47

Definitely interested.
Daleen
Daleen
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 157
My bike : Red F650GS.
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 27th January 2010, 10:51

dakardrix wrote:

Disclaimer: Geocaching as a sport and especially events are non-profit and commercial activities disallowed.

Eiish, me do not comprehend Question

Can Pauli advertise or not during the event Laughing
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 27th January 2010, 11:55

He can pull his GS there with all the bling and donate some prizes... (serious) pirat

But ja, they are very sticky. The event will only be advertised as a braai - that is all the guidelines allow. The cache hunt then needs to be arranged offline, via the Groundspeak (geocaching's 'owners') forum or an e-mail list or something.

So I will be looking for sponsorships for breakfast (muffins and coffee and so on - although my 2 girls sort of volunteered some baking) and then low-key prizes - will go and beg Roger for backpacks or T-shirts or key rings, whatever. I will obviously be able to tell the people who sponsored what, but can't publish that on the web listing (due next week) or too obvious at the event (but it is possible if kept very low key.. i.e. tell the people for interest sake how some of the biking teams communicated with each other during the event, show them the technology... and explain why they 'won' affraid )

BTW, a couple of caches will appear in the Star Crater/Olifantsfontein area where you and Colin went... and DaveS also knows.. cheers
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 27th January 2010, 12:26

Daleen wrote:Definitely interested.

Fantastic! With the combined skills between you two (maybe even add a Sias Corlia to the team - although I believe they lost their team at their last treasure hunt... Razz ) - you will be a formidable force on the day!
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 27th January 2010, 12:36

dakardrix wrote:He can pull his GS there with all the bling and donate some prizes... (serious) pirat

But ja, they are very sticky. The event will only be advertised as a braai - that is all the guidelines allow. The cache hunt then needs to be arranged offline, via the Groundspeak (geocaching's 'owners') forum or an e-mail list or something.

So I will be looking for sponsorships for breakfast (muffins and coffee and so on - although my 2 girls sort of volunteered some baking) and then low-key prizes - will go and beg Roger for backpacks or T-shirts or key rings, whatever. I will obviously be able to tell the people who sponsored what, but can't publish that on the web listing (due next week) or too obvious at the event (but it is possible if kept very low key.. i.e. tell the people for interest sake how some of the biking teams communicated with each other during the event, show them the technology... and explain why they 'won' affraid )

BTW, a couple of caches will appear in the Star Crater/Olifantsfontein area where you and Colin went... and DaveS also knows.. cheers

Just thought... there is no restriction on the club having a presence at the event - with various teams - and I can't stop them from being 'sponsored'... Suspect
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 27th January 2010, 17:14

dakardrix wrote:
Just thought... there is no restriction on the club having a presence at the event - with various teams - and I can't stop them from being 'sponsored'... Suspect

MMMmmmm - can see how your mind works..... Twisted Evil Cool
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 27th January 2010, 17:48

Hehe... like your avatar BTW!
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Corlia 28th January 2010, 10:59

Drix,
ons het nie ons span "verloor" nie... hulle net 'n "head-start" gegee!! Very Happy

BTW, ek sal ook muffins bak as jy nog nodig het! sunny
Corlia
Corlia
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 335
My bike : Dakar 650 GS Pillion
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 28th January 2010, 11:49

Corlia wrote:Drix,
ons het nie ons span "verloor" nie... hulle net 'n "head-start" gegee!! Very Happy

BTW, ek sal ook muffins bak as jy nog nodig het! sunny

Ja ja... cyclops

Muffins klink great! Beteken dit julle gaan deelneem - ek sal vir julle 'n GPS reël?
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 28th January 2010, 12:34

dakardrix wrote:Hehe... like your avatar BTW!

Somehow thought you would! Smile Cool
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 28th January 2010, 15:10

Ons het 'n kar GPS, hy sal seker werk? Met die bike like ek dit sover om te verdwaal... Maar ek aanvaar jy gaan sukkel om 'n geocache te vind sonder een! Laughing
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 28th January 2010, 18:12

En 'n Zumo 550? Weet nie hoe akkuraat hulle is om die "close game" te speel nie Geocaching Icon_rolleyes

Miskien moet jy vir ons training gee...
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 28th January 2010, 20:03

Kyk, enige GPS van vandag - al die Garmins, TomTom's, selfone met GPS - is akkuraat genoeg. Daar is altyd 'n margin of error teenwoordig van so 1 tot 5 meter, wanneer hulle geplant word. So saam met jou margin of error wanner jy dit soek, moet mense maar altyd so in 'n sirkel soek om daarvoor te cater. Maar sodra jy hulle begin vind kom jy agter waarvoor om te soek. So akkuraatheid van GPS glad nie 'n probleem nie.

Die belangrikste is om die vermoë te hê om 'n way point in te sleutel, maw jy moet kan sê waarheen om te gaan. Wat die Nuvi's (behalwe die Nuvi 500) en Zumos dan nie noodwendig het nie, is 'n kompas. So die laaste paar meter moet jy na die nommers kyk en dit probeer opmatch. Waar die kompas funksie dit makliker maak. Maar my tjom wat my gaan help met die event beplanning, cache nou al meer as 'n jaar lank net met sy Nuvi.

Ek gaan ook files daar hê wat ons in compatible GPS's (meeste van die Garmins) kan laai, dan is al die waypoints daar. Maar ons sal al die waypoint, met hulle hints ook op papier verskaf.

'n Tank bag met 'n deurskynende map houer bo-op sal ideaal werk as jy net jou Nuvi of kar GPS of selfoon wil gebruik.

Maar Sias, julle kan my Oregon met RAM mount gebruik, baie makliker. Wees net vroegerig daar (met 'n paar muffins, hehe) dan mount ons hom in 5 minute en ek gee jou 'n crash course - die waypoints sal klaar gelaai wees.

Ek is baie happy om 'n vinnige training te doen, sê net waar en wanneer. Nie dat ek Zumo's goed ken nie, maar ons sal regkom met die beginsels.
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 29th January 2010, 10:36

Lekker! Dankie Drix!
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Geocaching Empty Microfest 2010

Post by dakardrix 13th February 2010, 21:54

Ok, the Microfest 2010 event has now been published:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=258265cc-a949-4c77-adc0-f4586e76076f

And as mentioned above, discussed here:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=f27b1942b763fa78319c3212ebc1f7ca&showtopic=240749

I really want to promote a fusion between the geocachers and the bikers, pressing the common button: a Spirit for Adventure! pirat
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down