BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more

+9
Sias
KobusJacobs
GSing
BON
KnopKop
GSlady
DaveS
dakardrix
Leo
13 posters

Go down

Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more Empty Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more

Post by Leo 4th May 2009, 22:39

The annual Parys De Aar Adventure rally happened this year from 25 to 29 Apr between these well know SA towns. Although the name closely resembles the toughest rally taking place early January, our rally was a lot less tough, but I recon we had lots more fun. KalahariBen is the brainchild behind this winning formula and participation on this rally is by invitation on a first come first serve basis only. A few weeks ago we had a get to know each other function at Bavaria East where we received lovely presents from our sponsors and it was certain that Ben had left no stone unturned to organize this event in as much detail as possible with all events happening as smooth as a well oiled boxer motor.

Excalibur and Bikermice admiring a fully loaded Honey somewhere between Gauteng and Parys
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more F6854848

This oke was having a moment of personal indulgement when we showed up un- announced to spoil his personal moment – some people never fail to amaze me
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 1

We met at the O’s restaurant in Parys after a leisure ride from Gauteng. The rally was only starting on the Sunday morning so you effectively had to travel to Parys on the Saturday, really not a big ask.

The group at O’s in Parys
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 2

The pub at O’s right on the banks of the Vaal – lovely spot
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 3

It has become a tradition for non participants to join in on the Saturday night festivities, and this year was no exception. As will all such events, the first night away from home the manne were like a hungry pack let loose. A splendid meal followed by lotsa cold ones ensured a very successful evening. Many laughs later we were all in bed listing to the slight drizzle outside while lying snugly in our sleeping bags. GSing, please tell me that joke about the bicycle again. I’m not getting the punchline

Group photo
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 4

Sunday morning we rose to a new day with no sign of the previous night’s rains, except for the slightly moist upper crust on the roads we had to travel. Our host went flat out with breakfast and with our bellies well filled we posed for a group photo before pointing the wheels southbound again.

Lovely roads
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 5

We followed the banks of the Vaal for a long way
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 6

Sunday night our destination was the Timkulu game reserve approximately 40 km’s south of Christiana. The gravel roads we followed were in excellent condition and because we didn’t ride in a group the dust was no real problem. We all knew where we had to be for the next night, and when, how you got there was up to yourself.

Another crossing over the Vaal
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 7

While other were trying their best to catch a big one
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 8

I was the first to arrive at Timkulu and after the initial disbelief that a private game reserve would actually allow bikers into their reserve, I set up tent to allow everything to dry after the previous nights downpour.

Gravel highway
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 9

The mielies was almost ready for harvest

Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 10

Plenty of this ugly baastids around
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 11

This oke was going nowhere slowly
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 12

Yet another crossing of the Vaal
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 13

I have been to Christiana several times but never saw this part of town – really nice
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 14

It was Sunday afternoon and the folks were out in force – farm against farm by the looks of it
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 15

More dirt highway
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 16
Leo
Leo
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 47
My bike : R1200GSA, HP2, XR600, XR500
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more Empty Re: Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more

Post by Leo 4th May 2009, 22:39

The staff at Timkulu prepared a braai with accompanying side orders and we obliged by eating ourselves to a stand still. Lotsa firewood and the excitement of sleeping amongst buffalo and rhino, amongst other things ensured that we had to kuier well into the night. I enjoyed the fact that the staff left us to our own devices and we ran a honesty bar – it’s nice to see people trusting us and we hopefully didn’t ruin that trust.

Quite a rush to see this when entering a game reserve on your bike

Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 17

Entrance to Timkulu
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 18

They did that little extra to make us feel at home

Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 19

The roads inside the reserve
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 20

You know you’re close to the Kalahri when you start seeing these
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 21

Timkulu is a well organized place
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 22

View from the lodge
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 23

Fellow riders settling in
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 24

……..and more

Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 25

…last bit
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 26

Not everyday you see this from your camp site. That’s KalahariBen looking a bit nervous, using Honey as a shield

Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 27

Camojo getting up close and personal
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 28

This Gemsbuck passed so close to me I got bokkoors – yes I know it’s outta focus
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 29

The view from where the rhino was standing
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 30

Timkulu means Big Tree and this is the very tree that gave it it’s name
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 31

One of the okes had an accident the previous day – must have been a moerse klip, I have never seen this happen.
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 32

The rear rim as well
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 33

Nine spokes completely broken off
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 34

Monday morning we set for the Thomas farm about 100 km’s south of Kimberley. Our first waypoint for the day was the confluent of the Orange and Vaal, a sight to be seen by all adventure riders. I have been in the areas numerous times but never took the trouble to go and check out the scene. Trust me well worth the effort.

More dirt highways in the Noord Kaap. Note the remains of a bird strike on my screen
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 35

Somehow taking a pic like this gives me a moerse thrill
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 36

Passing Kimberley GSer and I decided to go check out the big hole
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 37

If you’ve never been there here’s the detail
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 38

They have recently revamped the entire place and one can now see actual diamonds inside a heavy security safe accompanied by your own guard
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 39

…and we though we were hardcore. Imagine riding this thing from Knysna to Kimberley
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 40

It seems one can put up a sail if the wind is strong enough
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 41

GSer putting the R80 through it’s paces
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 42

Orange on the left, Vaal on the right. The Vaal stops here
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 43

Ben and the Kalahari in full tilt
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 44

This time crossing the orange – Runner and his sweet XR
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 45

Sturdy construction
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 46

A sign of the times. One of several abandoned farm labourer houses we saw. This was a trend on most of the farms we passed. Seems the okes all moved to town and commute to their farms daily. Not safe out there on your own.
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 47

Another “I like to” pictures”
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 48

Stretching a fully loaded Honey’s legs
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 49

We gathered at Thomas farm and were once again entertained to a splendid Karoo lamb dish with accompanying side orders. The only negative aspect of our stay was the fact that our host only had 3 cans of coke in her honesty bar, but thanks to one of our sponsors myself and Runner set of to Hopetown to get more mix and a few bottles of hard tack at a local shebeen. All’s well that ends well. Some serious kuiering ensued but once again all was up and ready for a new day come Tuesday.
Leo
Leo
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Back to top Go down

Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more Empty Re: Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more

Post by Leo 4th May 2009, 22:40

Thomas farm
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 50

Some of the sights at Thomas farm. This poor kid was about 9 mths old
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 51

Some okes roughed it in chalets
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 52

More sights and graves on Thomas farm
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 53
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 54 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 55 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 56
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 57 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 58

I had to leave the group as I had prior commitments in Hermanus, so after a brief visit to Orania I set sails for the south. Tuesday was the best day riding I have ever experienced. From Orania I followed the road to Strydenburg, then via tar to Britstown before hitting the dirt other ride of Vosburg. From here I went over Carnavon, via Fraserburg to Sutherland. This stretch of road was build for the big GS. I left Britstown at approximately 11am and sat down in Sutherland at 2pm for lunch after filling with fuel. The ± 400 km’s flew past and the GS was in its element.

Unusual roadsign in Orania
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 59

A tribute to the koeksuster
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 60

The area had some rain and it was an ultimate adrenalin rush to find the road filled with water at speeds well in access of the legal limits and having to manoeuvre the GS around these obstacles. According to my trip computer I averaged ± 157 km’h on this section. Absolutely awesome. Go ride it some day, you’ll understand what I mean. Not sure who has travelled the section from Sutherland down to the N1 at Matjiesforntein, just as nice although on tar, but with lovely twisty sections where one can clean the tyres right down to the edge. The wind was slowly picking up, and by the time I hit the N1 it was gail force from a NW direction. Not pleasant. When I eventually arrived in Hermanus I felt like the wind was trying to blow me back to Gauteng.
After a few days relaxing with my loved ones I returned via R62 and Meiringspoort with a sleepover in Jacobsdal. Sunday was an uneventful ride except for a strike of some sort that I had early morning. I was riding into the sun, posing sunglasses with an open visor to combat fogging sunglasses when something hit me so hard, the already cracked frame of the sunglasses broke, sending the lens flying out the helmet, and as I pulled the dilapidated glasses from my eyes, the one ear piece came off and bailed, so needless to say all that remained was to thrash the rest of it.

Lotsa game in the Karoo
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 61

One of the best roads I have ever ridden
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 62

Major adrenalin rush to get around these obstacles at full tilt
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 63

Heaven on a GS
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 64

All sorts of hurdles awaits around the next corner
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 65

more karoo highway
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 66

Lunch in Sutherland
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 67
Well known landmark past Villiers
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 68

The big blue dam
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 69
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 70

The N12 is undergoing serious roadworks between Kimberley and Christiana, with at least 6 stop and go sites with a min of 10 minutes stop each. Don’t ride that route if you wanna get somewhere in a rush.

Last few pics – Light house at Cape Agulhas
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 71
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 72
Scary stuff up this high
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 73 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 74 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 75 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 76
Not sure what makes one paint your cabbie this colour
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 77 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 78

Penguin colony in Betty’s Bay Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 79 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 81 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 82 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 83 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 84 Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 85
Lovely riding conditions on the way back
Leo's Parys DeAar Adventure rally and more 86

Well that’s it. All that remains is to thank Ben for an excellent rally, the fellow riders for their companionship and last but certainly not least our sponsors in no particular order – Jeep, Elf (The Oil people), Ryder Motorrad and Bavaria Motorcycles. I hope I’m not forgetting someone, Ben please correct me if I’m wrong.
Leo
Leo
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 4th May 2009, 23:24

cheers cheers No words! Now, where do we start bribing someone to get onto the elite invitee list... pirat
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 4th May 2009, 23:55

Leo - as usual you end up doing the most amazingly intersting trips and find the most awesome roads!!

Very interest RR again!! cheers
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 5th May 2009, 09:21

Excellent pictures, excellent report.
Thanks Leo..
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 5th May 2009, 09:31

WOW !!!!

That was such a good read with some great roads and really cool pics!!

Thanks Leo for Sharing !!!
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by BON 5th May 2009, 10:54

It seems that we have to organize another trip !!!!!!!

Thanks LEO...for present us with beautiful pic's !!!! cheers
BON
BON
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 176
My bike : R 1200 GS (RSA)
R 1200 GS ADV (BRA)
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by GSing 5th May 2009, 13:03

Leo, I can't believe that you guys missed the bicycle joke's punchline................................Bahaahahahahahahha!!!!
GSing
GSing
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-03-03

http://www.gps4africa.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by KobusJacobs 5th May 2009, 13:28

Leo, looks like you had a lot of fun!! Very Happy Very Happy . Any chance of posting the tracklog for your trip?? Great photo's by the way

KobusJacobs
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 90
My bike : R 1200GS
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 5th May 2009, 14:14

Well written with great photos! Thanks for sharing cheers
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by JCM 5th May 2009, 17:27

Hey, ik kan mijn ogen skaars geloven. Daai overleden dochtertje sijn moeder MOET familie wees. Oupa kom van daardie wereld.
Om nou vergete familie se grafskrifte op hierdie site op te spoor.....dit wil gedoen wees!!!!!
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 154
My bike : R1200RT
[Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!]
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 5th May 2009, 18:59

JCM wrote:Hey, ik kan mijn ogen skaars geloven. Daai overleden dochtertje sijn moeder MOET familie wees. Oupa kom van daardie wereld.
Om nou vergete familie se grafskrifte op hierdie site op te spoor.....dit wil gedoen wees!!!!!

Ongelooflik.
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 5th May 2009, 22:08

This 'Rally' cries out to be included into the Club's official rides calendar...?
2010 dates? Cool
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 5th May 2009, 22:23

Richard H wrote:This 'Rally' cries out to be included into the Club's official rides calendar...?
2010 dates? Cool

...doubt that will happen - attendance is by invitation only. Wink
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DeonP 6th May 2009, 07:58

What an amazing trip.
Thanks Leon for sharing.
Makes me wanna get out of Gauteng and RIDE !
DeonP
DeonP
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 469
My bike : 1200GS ADVENTURE
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo 6th May 2009, 11:17

Anyone wanting to be added to to list for next year so you can receive an invite, please send your details to kalahariben@gmail.com.
Leo
Leo
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Back to top Go down

Post by szalek 6th May 2009, 21:17

Thanks Leon. "WOW" It was amazing just by the pics.Thanks for shareing .

szalek
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 87
My bike : BMW K1200 RS
Registration date : 2008-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down