BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Repairing a puncture on a NON tubeless tyre

+4
Happy-go-lucky
DaveS
KnopKop
GSNieP
8 posters

Go down

Repairing a puncture on a NON tubeless tyre Empty Repairing a puncture on a NON tubeless tyre

Post by GSNieP 28th October 2008, 11:32

How do you repair a puncture on a NON tubeless tyre other than having to remove the tyre and patch/replace the tube?

Will something like “tyre weld” work if you don't want or unable to remove the tyre to patch the tube just to get you to a tyre shop?
GSNieP
GSNieP
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 36
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-13

Back to top Go down

Repairing a puncture on a NON tubeless tyre Empty Re: Repairing a puncture on a NON tubeless tyre

Post by KnopKop 28th October 2008, 11:45

On our Drakensberg Escarpment trip in July 2008, I got a punture on the rear wheel. It was pretty small, but still losing air. We sprayed Tyre-Fix, and it worked fine. I still did Normandien Pass, Colling's Pass and De Beers pass (182km dirt roads) and then another 7.5km back to Harrismith. So about 190km with no problems. I got a new tube fitted in Harrismith.

BUT,

On the way back from the GSC this year, the 800GS got a flat front, but the hole was alot bigger, and we sprayed Tyre-Fix and it helped NOTHING !!!

So, it depends on the size of the punture.

I always carry an extra front and rear tube, and patches.

Hope this helps.
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Repairing a puncture on a NON tubeless tyre Empty Re: Repairing a puncture on a NON tubeless tyre

Post by DaveS 28th October 2008, 13:33

Tyre weld worked for me on the Dakar - but would depend on the size of the hole.

You could always put some 'slime' into each tyre as a preventative measure. Also seems to work quite well.
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy-go-lucky 28th October 2008, 14:32

Okay! Something I still need to get for my tubed tyres of my F650GS.

What is recommended that I should have in my small kit for dealing with punctures. Hopefully not needing tyre removal as I don't have the strength for taking off and putting back on again.
Happy-go-lucky
Happy-go-lucky
Your Friendly Black Knight

Number of posts : 378
My bike : BMW F650GS FL 2007
Yamaha TTR250 2009
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 28th October 2008, 14:43

Things you HAVE to have:

1. Tyre-Fix or Tyre-Weld
2. Tools to remove wheels (650/Dakar = 8mm Allen Key FRONT, 24' & 19' Sockets REAR)
3. Tyre Levers
4. Puncture Repair Kit
5. Spare Tubes

To remove the wheels are VERY easy, taking the tyre off the rim, now THAT is the tricky part.
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy-go-lucky 28th October 2008, 17:40

Thanx Sharkie, I already have 2 and 4. Just need to get the rest.
Happy-go-lucky
Happy-go-lucky
Your Friendly Black Knight

Number of posts : 378
My bike : BMW F650GS FL 2007
Yamaha TTR250 2009
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooikat 29th October 2008, 08:32

I had a puncture in the rear wheel of my GS, earlier this year. The worst part is the instability, and difficulty to ride. I took the bike to a bike shop (luckily the tyre was not totally flat), and had the tube replaced. The risk (in my opinion) for patching a tube, is too great (especially if riding at higher speeds). I won't be able to remove the tyre from the rim (already struggled to get my mountain bike's off). Sometimes not good to be a girl - the strength is just not there. Evil or Very Mad Embarassed
Rooikat
Rooikat
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 89
My bike : 2007 F650GS ........... AND ............. 800ST !!!!!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnST 29th October 2008, 14:35

Best thing is to carry, tyre levers (at least 2), tools to remove wheel. and then spare tube, carry tyre repair stuff as well, but best is to replace tyre right there and then and then later do the patch. Then if it's an enduro tube and you got a 6inch nail the hole will be too big to patch, enduro tubes are very thick and do not patch easily if the hole is slightly big.
Then some people also carry a bit of lubricant/grease or similar to put some grease on everything before putting it back, o yeh and a cloth to clean everything. It really helps cause if you do it on a gravel road everything gets dirty! (spacers etc)
Then when you do the repair remember to take you sprocket off as it will get f-up when strugling to get the tyre on and off. Your buddy's side stand is the best way to break the bead of the tyre. There is rubbers on the inside of that sprocket, make sure you put all of them back else it is not happy times! Centre stand is also a must, if your bike doesn't have one and you have tube tyres, invest in one!

I said a lot but, best thing is to practice this once at home and then you will see what you need. the above is what I do.
JohnST
JohnST
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 29th October 2008, 14:42

Aai John,

Jy kan darem baie praat...... jy is seker 'n lawyer ???
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnST 29th October 2008, 14:46

ssshhhhhh Very Happy hulle weet nie wat ek doen nie!
JohnST
JohnST
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 30th October 2008, 14:54

If you have the right puncture kit - you dont have to remove the tyre - maybe it is again time that we orgainse a demonstration at a club meeting, as was done on 2004/2005
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 30th October 2008, 17:35

LeRoy Olivier wrote:If you have the right puncture kit - you dont have to remove the tyre - maybe it is again time that we orgainse a demonstration at a club meeting, as was done on 2004/2005

Ek sal dit graag wil sien op 'n "tube type" band. Leroy ek vermoed jy het die NON gemis Smile
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 30th October 2008, 17:36

LeRoy Olivier wrote:If you have the right puncture kit - you dont have to remove the tyre - maybe it is again time that we orgainse a demonstration at a club meeting, as was done on 2004/2005

Ek sal dit graag wil sien op 'n "tube type" band. Leroy ek vermoed jy het die NON gemis Smile
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnST 31st October 2008, 10:53

Yip, ek wil ook daai trick leer! Wink
JohnST
JohnST
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 31st October 2008, 13:43

Point taken - het die Non gemis - gebeur as mens gelykertyd werk en die forum met een oog dophou.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down