BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 14 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Tell us who you are?

+71
Handre
Kiteman
Amos
Sue Coetzee
Black Rose
V K Frik (LT)
Heretic
Ernst
Blu82
SanetG
Willem O
MG
Hermanator
Puddles
EastRider
GS-Kaiki
Daleen
voyger34
The Transporter
Leo
BON
dakardrix
Laughing Girl
JohnST
ChristoEngelbrecht
Marnus
Mogas
Jpbez
Happy-go-lucky
Philippe
Tony R
szalek
JohanGT
Tr0jan
tj
Andre
Gemmerkat
2UP4ADV
Lunar
Mermaid
Henk
Scoop
Corlia
wingman
morpheus
Joe
Wahl
Mud Pooh-bah
DaveS
lady bikermouse
Gerrit
Perske
gone away
LeRoy Olivier
DeonP
Sias
GSJeri
JR
steyngert
iceman
KnopKop
xplorer
GSing
Bear
Richard H
Chunky
Enduro
LooxC
GSlady
adventuretharon
Admin
75 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Tell us who you are? - Page 3 Empty Re: Tell us who you are?

Post by Admin 29th July 2008, 09:36

Silence. A sudden serious moment.

Welcome back to "gone away" in a Rejuvenated jacket!
MadnohB . . Your perspective is appreciated.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 29th July 2008, 09:46

As MadnohB said, most important thing to me is to avoid any form of personal abuse or attacks. For the rest, we as South Africans are a highly opinionated bunch and most of us are quite able to defend our positions in a rational and logical manner. Voice your opinion - if someone does not agree, let them say so! From what I have seen with the little interaction I have had with the club, is that we are all upstanding members of society with a single common passion. We are able to differ without being nasty, we are able to shoot barbs of wit without it being hurtful and we can laugh at ourselves. What more do you need in a successful forum?

To those members out there that look at a thread and wonder whether they should add their 2c worth - do it! That is why this forum is there!

"Traveling without moving" - the few but wonderful ride reports that were posted here provides the rest of us with some lovely eye candy and allows us to experience your trip without moving from the computer. Keep 'em coming!!! Sias's trip report to Kosi bay makes me want to phone him and ask him to organise a trip so me and my wife can join in! Is that not what it is all about???
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 234
My bike : R1200 GS Adventure
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 29th July 2008, 09:48

Personally speaking i think "Rejuvenated" must go back to his previous profile and carry on with that rating. This is a storm in a teacup and should not take up more time on the Forum. Maybe Admin can take this up and combine these two profiles under the old profile.
Yes it will be a sad day if we to lose Gone Aways perspective on threads posted, because of a misunderstanding, same applies to the humor and nice bantering that is going on. Will in future refrain from using dark humour on the forum seing that it is not acceptable to all.
Regards & Appologies. LeRoy Sad Sad Sad confused
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 29th July 2008, 09:59

This message to our Lady of Admin:

I see that a lot of people do not complete all the info on their profiles - birthdates, general location, etc. Is it not possible to make more fields compulsory when you register? I am not asking for detailed address details, but your suburb would be nice, also some info on the bikes the person ride, etc.etc. It would also provide you with a bit more detail with regard to demographics.

I see all these new names popping up, but to me they are virtually anonymous. Do we really want that? I would like to go up to someone at a friday meeting to tell him/her that I enjoyed his thread, but I often have no clue who the person is behind the nom de guerre.
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Perske 29th July 2008, 10:01

Could not agree more MadnohB. Your statements and feelings are very representative of me and I am sure others will agree.

For myself I know that I am very guilty of small talk and sometimes "crap" but I do think there is some balance between sense and nonsense. I was a member of the old forum but my posts were limited as there was not any traffic and feedback to it. The new forum is a total turnaround and interaction is there!

The thing of stars to count your posts is not so important, but more so the interaction between people. The club for me is "people" and you learn a new side of a person than that of face to face interaction.

I am sorry if I offend any one here with small talk and did not aim anything personal against anybody. There was a lot of chirping on the forum last week and I think it was at times difficult to keep track as it was spread over threads

Guess what I am appealing for, we want you back just the way you posted before.
Embarassed
Perske
Perske
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 113
My bike : 1200GSA
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 29th July 2008, 12:31

In my opinion anything goes except if it contains the following:
- Personal attacks
- Derogatory statements regarding suppliers/businesses etc
- Racist/Religious attacks/comments

We should make the forum our own and there should always be a place for lighthearted banter. The difference in opinions is in many cases the answer to very noble solutions.

So please do give your opinion and attack someone's opinion with clear logic, do not attack the person!!!

We would not like to put down a lot of rules and give our webmistress more unneccessary work!!! We are all senior and mature people here and if you think a comment is offensive, rather cool down and take action when you think rationally. If you do post, remember that someone might take offense in a comment. Rather say nothing if you can not say something good.

PS. My comments are meant to be very general and I am not refering to any person or incident.

PS2. No animals were hurt during the compilation of this posting cyclops

PS3 Does real bikers have internet ????
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 29th July 2008, 12:56

pdekoker wrote:PS3 Does real bikers have internet ????

define "real bikers" Wink
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wahl 29th July 2008, 13:09

MadnohB wrote:

Paddlefoot and Slowcoach
Wahl
Wahl
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 29th July 2008, 13:23

lol!

oh its great to have friends like you!
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 29th July 2008, 13:58

have bike, can like to ride.......don't care what I'm called lol!

Wahl wrote:Paddlefoot and Slowcoach

thank you Wahl........that's what I thought all along Cool
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29th July 2008, 14:25

steyngert wrote:This message to our Lady of Admin:

I see that a lot of people do not complete all the info on their profiles - birthdates, general location, etc. Is it not possible to make more fields compulsory when you register?

Done.
(I hope it works!)

Will work on the "What bike do you ride?" later.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 29th July 2008, 17:54

MadnohB wrote:have bike, can like to ride.......don't care what I'm called lol!

I can very much be liking to be riding my bikes wearing a jean pants. I are also very glad that I can talks the English tale so deliciously. geek
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 29th July 2008, 21:15

MadnohB wrote:

OH OH - HKGK!! Don't go there Pieter - this is a trap!!! Wink Very Happy
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 29th July 2008, 23:04

affraid
Admin wants people to give their birth dates...

"A lady NEVER admits her age..."

study
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 30th July 2008, 10:17

Rejuvenated wrote:
MadnohB wrote:

OH OH - HKGK!! Don't go there Pieter - this is a trap!!! Wink Very Happy

Luckily I have a good sidestep Very Happy

As I am not a biker but a motorcycle enthusiast I do not know what the defines a real biker clown
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear 30th July 2008, 11:19

Definitions..... Laughing

American Traditional Definition of Bikers: Men who ride an American made motorcycle and live a biker lifestyle. This did not include women. American made motorcycle is any motorcycle that has an engine made in the USA, whether it is factory made or custom built. (strictest traditional context).

Frequently, motorcyclists who ride custom choppers with motors made in England or Germany are are also considered bikers if they have biker attitude and are part of a biker family. Does not include “yuppy bikers”. Does not include people who ride motorcycles made in Japan, China, Taiwan, or any other nation unless the person has the right attitude and is adopted into a biker family with a majority of riders that meet the definition in the strictest traditional context. If you still think you are a biker, see the bottom line.

Bikers around the world: There was a UK definition of bikers that I saw which was terrible. It referred to one particular movie made in 1960? It must have been a big hit. The Australian definitions I see all refer to biker gangs, while many people are up in arms that biker gang should not be part of the definition of biker. See the comment about biker gangs, below. It’s probably a good thing I can’t read Japanese. Maybe all that spam the Koreans and Chinese send me are to tell me to go to _. I’m sure the Italians have the right idea. Here’s three fingers backatcha and I mean it in the nicest way. They got the attitude part down sweet. Gotta love it. I’ve come to the conclusion that most bikers in other countries prefer to call themselves a motorcyclist rather than a biker. I’m happy for them. What can I say, I’m an American, a biker, and proud of it.

Definition of Motorcyclists: People who ride motorcycles, including off-road. Passengers are called riders.

Definition of Motorcycle Cruisers: People who ride cruiser style motorcycles built for comfort, regardless of motorcycle brand and country of origin.

Definition of Sportsbikers: Motorcyclists who ride the motorcycles that require they ride in a bent forward position in order to reach the handlebars. If you think Sportsbike riders cannot call themselves bikers, please watch the movie Biker Boys, then decide.

Definion of Enthusiasts: All people with an interest in motorcycles, including non-riders and “yuppy bikers” who own a motorcycle but keep it parked. Biker Wannabe: It sounds like a putdown, but it’s not. Biker wannabes tend to be even more enthusiastic than an enthusiast and usually have the heart of a biker, but they just haven’t got their money together yet.

“Yuppy bikers”: Owns an expensive motorcycle which is almost always parked. Is not a biker. Is a motorcyclist, but only when riding. Is most definitely an enthusiast, and has spent big money to prove it. When you ride, you are a motorcyclist, but $30,000 does not make you a biker. Chrome won’t get you home. Take it outa the garage and let it get wet, then we’ll talk.

Weekend Bikers: Some of us have busier schedules than others. Others have jobs that require dress codes. There is nothing wrong with being a weekend biker, if that’s the best you can do. Just don’t try and come across as the baddest ass biker around. Get your head outa your butt.

American Biker:Rides an American made motorcycle only. Adheres to the strictest contextual and traditional definition of biker.

Harley Bikers: Many Harley bikers consider Harley-Davidson motorcycles to be the only motorcycle they will ever have or will ever ride. Harley bikers are very brand loyal. There are BMW riders who are just as brand loyal. A handful of brand loyal Harley bikers consider anyone who rides any other brand to not be a true biker. There are numerous dissertations on the subject of brand loyalty. All brands of motorcycles have their good points and bad points. Most Harley Bikers are glad you get in the wind no matter what you ride, and know it is not the motorcycle that matters. Some will say it is attitude that matters, while others will say it is lifestyle. It usually just boils down to how often you ride.
Bear
Bear
Riding the skyways

Number of posts : 194
My bike : R1200RT (Sand Beige) & F800ST (Metalic Blue)
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 30th July 2008, 12:33

Ask and thou shalt receive!!! Razz

I am a enthusiast who rides my bike everyday. I suppose I am an Enthusiast with a non-parked bike. Twisted Evil

Unfortunately my bike has the dents and scrathes to prove its long periods of being in a non-parked state.
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 30th July 2008, 12:42

I am never off the bike for more than 2 days, weekends I like to spend wallowing through dirt. The bike gets washed every Saturday, but gets dirty again within 3 hours of that...

So maybe then a combination of "Motorcyclist" and "Enthusiast"?
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Tell us who you are? - Page 3 Empty NEW MEMBER

Post by SPLASH 30th July 2008, 14:19

Hi,
My name is Francois Kruger (Kerneels) and I am from the Kempron Park area. I am the proud owner of a 2006 model R1200RT BMW. When I was small and lived in Mafikeng, my dream was to own a BMW motor cycle. I had various other makes and models but the longing for a BMW was alsways in the back of my head. Then, 2 years ago I have visited a few bikeshops and decided the R1200RT has my name written all over it. Got it and since then, I only have joy out of this wonderfull piece of machinery. I use the bike to comute to work and back everyday. since I bought the bike, I have not used it only twise and the reason for that was that I had to pick up something big after work and did not fit in the topbox. Unfortunetly the wife is not in to motorcycles and do not like to be on the bike often. Will change that soon.
Thanks for a nice forum and I like the information on your site.
Francois Kruger (Kerneels)

SPLASH

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 30th July 2008, 14:28

Hi Kerneels
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your first posting!

The reason why you could post on the Who's Who forum as a guest (without logging in with your username and password) is because that specific forum is set to be open to all.

(For all other topics you will have to sign in.)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 30th July 2008, 15:44

Welcome Splash, trust you will enjoy your stay

Nice to see another new "roadie"........die GS'e is vervuil hier Cool .........meeste van hulle is darem goeie manne en maninne

Btw, our next social is this Friday from 18:00 onwards at Bavarian Motorcycles.......you are most welcome
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 30th July 2008, 16:12

Noli eminere, catapultas allicies. What a Face
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 30th July 2008, 19:01

Heia, comes, num aliquid agitur?

OK. No more foreign languages, even if you like me speaking foreign. Wink

ADMIN will delete anything she can't understand . . . but please carry on with the high tech topics! Rolling Eyes

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerrit 2nd August 2008, 10:27

Welcome Splash. We trsut you will have a wonderful time with us and on your bike.
Gerrit
Gerrit
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 33
My bike : R1200GS
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://www.businessconsultancy.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 3rd August 2008, 17:41

By now all knows who can speak latin in the club - well done. Miskien moet ons liefhebbers van Afrikaans voortaan eerder Afrikaans op die Forum besig. Eintlik half dof om Engels met vriende te praat wat net so Afrikaans is soos jy. sunny study
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum