BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Snell rating could be bad for your head!

5 posters

Go down

Snell rating could be bad for your head! Empty Snell rating could be bad for your head!

Post by morpheus 5th August 2008, 14:39

Hi

Please see this link;
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

It is a long read but please try and stick with it, you will be glad you did. For those of you with ADD let me give you the very abbreviated version.
Tests were conducted that proved, the rigidity of the Snell rated helmet shell, transmits too much energy to the brain in a collision and may actually cause a head injury.
The DOT and EC standards although not as rigid as Snell are actually better.

This made me quite sad as the top brands like Shoei and Arai use the Snell rating as their bible.

Since this article was published Snell have actually admitted that their rating is incorrect and are in the process of releasing their 2010 rating system. For now though I would suggest staying away from the Snell rated helmets in favour of those with the DOT, EC or SHARP rating.

I myself am considering replacing my beloved Shoei with a Shark lid. Shark are to be commended as they are one of the leaders in adopting the new less rigid shell construction and many experts believe their 'crumple zone' technology is the best there is at present.

I hope this gets you all thinking

Morpheus
morpheus
morpheus
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 117
My bike : 1200GS
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Snell rating could be bad for your head! Empty Re: Snell rating could be bad for your head!

Post by DaveS 5th August 2008, 16:06

morpheus wrote:the new less rigid shell construction and many experts believe their 'crumple zone' technology is the best there is at present.

I hope this gets you all thinking

Morpheus

'Crumple zone' technology! Shocked Shocked I like my head uncrumpled.
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Snell rating could be bad for your head! Empty Re: Snell rating could be bad for your head!

Post by morpheus 6th August 2008, 08:52

They mean the lid and not your head. If the lid crumples and takes up all the force, your head won't.

I like my head the way it is as well, I reckon it will look funny all crumpled Very Happy

Morpheus
morpheus
morpheus
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 117
My bike : 1200GS
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 12th August 2008, 21:19

Yes - tend to agree with both - uncrumpled head normally looks better. Question now - which standard does the BMW helmets support. At an average of R5500.00 per helmit it can become a costly affair if one has to replace for yourself and your pillion. Question Question Shocked Shocked
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 12th August 2008, 21:42

LeRoy Olivier wrote:...... which standard does the BMW helmets support. At an average of R5500.00 per helmit it can become a costly affair if one has to replace for yourself and your pillion.......

ECE standard

Still cheaper than the top of the line Shoei which goes for R7k
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 13th August 2008, 17:25

True - still does not defray from the original question - to which standard does the BMW helmets measure up to. Must we all now start looking around for the next step top of the range standard, and how accurate are the assesments of these standards?????????. Some answer from Bavaria would help here.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 13th August 2008, 20:01

Maybe they will have some info on the Schubertt website? - they make the BMW helmets.
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 13th August 2008, 21:14

LeRoy Olivier wrote:.......still does not defray from the original question - to which standard does the BMW helmets measure up to......... Some answer from Bavaria would help here.

ECE standard as I said above.........a standard imposed by the European Community. Bavarian has vested interests therefore the answer might not be that pure.

Can not go wrong with any of the top brands like Shoei, Arai, AGV and various others.......trial and tested under road and race conditions. Schubert, who manufactures the BMW helmet also has an outstanding helmet range and are well known for their safety standards.
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre 13th August 2008, 23:04

I am sure that the ECE standard is as good as most. I like my BMW helmet because it's noise levels are very low. I had Shoei and Bell before and neither of them was as quiet. Maybe it depends on the model, who knows Question Somehow I don't think BMW will endorse a helmet that is not of good quality. Best is to keep your head off the road and your wheels on it Very Happy
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 334
My bike : R1200RT, R1100S, Yamaha TW200 (also want the new S1000RR!!)
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum