BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY

+11
Corlia
Admin
Richard H
DeonP
LeRoy Olivier
gone away
JR
Perske
GSing
steyngert
Sias
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY Empty OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY

Post by Sias 23rd July 2008, 17:06

I am still busy with the trip report and will therefore post it in sections. this was not a very eventfull trip, but I would like to share it with you anyway! Very Happy

Last edited by Sias on 28th July 2008, 10:51; edited 1 time in total
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY Empty Re: OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY

Post by Sias 23rd July 2008, 17:08

KOSI BAY: 18 – 20 JULY 2008
TOTAL DISTANCE: ±1 575km

Corlia and I decided to do separate trips to the four extreme points of South Africa, making a short “holiday” of each and so obtaining the silver extreme award. Thereafter we would probably go for the golden award and do all four extreme points in one journey.

The idea was to travel to Jozini and sleep over somewhere at Lake Jozini on the first night. Day two we would travel to Kosi Bay Border Post for a photo of our first extreme point and then head to Sodwana to relax for a one day vacation, seeing that it’s Corlia’s birthday the following day. On day 3 we would head back to Pretoria.
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 23rd July 2008, 17:09

DAY 1: ±550km

We started our journey at 7h30, although we wanted to leave at 7h00. We were however on “holiday”, so we weren’t too bothered about keeping to a strict schedule. I was very excited as this was the longest single journey I have done. I knew it was going to be cold for the first part of the day and that it would get better as the day progressed, especially seeing that we are travelling east. After that it should be moderate to warm until we return to Pretoria on Sunday afternoon.

Friday norning at about 7h25
[img]OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0621[/img]
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 23rd July 2008, 17:12

We headed for Standerton via Bapsfontein, Delmas and Leandra where we would have breakfast at our first major stop. Just outside Pretoria we struck fog, the densest fog I’ve seen around here. The fog continued all the way to Standerton. It was wet, and very cold. My hands and feet were freezing (my gloves aren’t waterproof). My fingers went numb and I wondered when frostbite would start setting in. We stopped a couple of times to take a break from the cold. I would ride up to a car or truck and stay behind it. It was easier (and I suppose safer) to follow something with wipers than try to navigate the road on my own. Every now and again I would wipe my visor with my left index finger to be able to see where I was going. Somehow the fine drops collecting on my visor affected my visibility much more than the rain we experienced during our last summer.

Taking a break from the cold
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0624

Potholes before Standerton
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0627

Standerton
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0629
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 23rd July 2008, 17:16

We had breakfast at Wimpy in Standerton. Then we headed for Perdekop, Volksrust, Utrecht (the town within a game park), Bloedrivier and Vryheid where we stopped for a quick drink. From Standerton it really was lovely weather and it started feeling like a proper holiday. As you can see, one of the things we aim to do is take photo at every town’s sign/emblem worth taking a photo of. I intend covering one of the walls in my bar with these one day.

Volksrust
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0631

Utrecht (I know... I think the board was stolen)
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0633

Just outside Utrecht
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0634

Vryheid
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0635
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 23rd July 2008, 17:23

We forgot to refuel in Vryheid, so I thought we’d stop in Louwsburg for fuel. I only realised we were at Louwsburg just as we passed it, as you don’t drive trough the town itself. So I then thought we’d stop at the next town which is Magudu. While carrying on I started to doubt if Magudu is a proper town with a filling station. Rightfully so, because we stopped to ask local pedestrians who confirmed that Magudu has no filling station. The nearest filling station was in Pongola, so we had to do a little detour.

We only just made it to Pongola with about 0,7l (about 15km) of fuel left in the tank. It was about 17h00 and we decided not to carry on to Lake Jozini as planned, as we didn’t want to get there after sunset searching for a place to stay in the dark. We also didn’t know the Jozini area, so we decided to stay over at Pongola Caravan Park. Accommodation cost R220 per person. The chalets were basic but very nice. We had a lovely dinner at the lodge in Pongola. Can’t remember to exact name of the lodge though.

Our chalet at Pongola Caravan Park
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0637
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 23rd July 2008, 17:26

that would be day 1 and as far as i got. will post the rest later study
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 23rd July 2008, 17:38

Fantastic! Look forward to reading the rest!
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 234
My bike : R1200 GS Adventure
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GSing 23rd July 2008, 17:49

Sias, can't wait for the rest! Suspect
GSing
GSing
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-03-03

http://www.gps4africa.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by Perske 23rd July 2008, 18:14

Memories...memories... Sias, i have stayed in the same bungalow @ Pongolla, 2006 on the club trip to Kosi. We had a big braai that night done by the local staff. We coud'nt finnish the food.
Perske
Perske
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 113
My bike : 1200GSA
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 23rd July 2008, 19:09

Great pics and report so far. Thanks for sharing.

now.......don't make us wait too long for the rest ........please

ps. I can like those matching BMW jeans
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gone away 23rd July 2008, 20:06

That road past Louwsburg to Pongola....mmm Very Happy

gone away
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 23rd July 2008, 20:39

praat jy nou swaer......... cheers

that road is..........K12 territory.......but as they say, what happens on a trip, stays on a trip Wink
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 23rd July 2008, 21:52

When you do the Pontdrift trip make sure that you stay at Balerno Lodge - 7 Km's south of Pontdrift - also do your planning so that you stay over for a day - in other words sleep there for 2 nights. It is well worth the effort. Recharges the batteries. When you get to doing the 2 remaining points - contact us as we still have to do them and are looking for an excuse to get around doing it. LeRoy Very Happy
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DeonP 23rd July 2008, 22:09

Great trip report and pics !
We also stayed at Pongola Caravan Park on our Kosi Bay Trip.
Had a fantastic braai that evening !
DeonP
DeonP
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 469
My bike : 1200GS ADVENTURE
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by gone away 24th July 2008, 06:14

deonp wrote:Great trip report and pics !
We also stayed at Pongola Caravan Park on our Kosi Bay Trip.
Had a fantastic braai that evening !

...and the potjie the next evening wasn't good!!! Evil or Very Mad Wink Cool

OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY KosiBay-June2006067Saturdaypotjie

OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY KosiBay-June2006073

OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY KosiBay-June2006075

OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY KosiBay-June2006069Saturdaypotjie

gone away
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 24th July 2008, 09:23

MadnohB wrote:Great pics and report so far. Thanks for sharing.

now.......don't make us wait too long for the rest ........please

ps. I can like those matching BMW jeans

Will finish the rest tonight study

As for the pants… we are working our way from the bottom up so to speak. The jackets are bloody expensive as you’d know, so we are wearing the budget jackets for now. Still young, climbing the corporate ladder and all that… One must have some time to dream between wanting something and getting it Sleep
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 24th July 2008, 09:26

LeRoy Olivier wrote:When you do the Pontdrift trip make sure that you stay at Balerno Lodge - 7 Km's south of Pontdrift - also do your planning so that you stay over for a day - in other words sleep there for 2 nights. It is well worth the effort. Recharges the batteries. When you get to doing the 2 remaining points - contact us as we still have to do them and are looking for an excuse to get around doing it. LeRoy Very Happy

Thanks for the advice! Will definitely do so!
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 24th July 2008, 22:46

DAY 2: ±350km

We wanted to get up at 6h00 and leave at seven, but with Pongola Caravan Park’s rooster starting to crow at about 4h00 it was difficult to get up at 6h00. We again ended up only leaving at just before 8h00, which was fine by me.

We left for Jozini via the N2. The first piece of highway for our trip. It felt like cheating as the idea was to avoid highways at least the whole way down to Kosi Bay. Got off the N2 towards Jozini and we could see the fog hanging over Lake Jozini long before we could see the lake itself. Climbing along the mountain adjacent to the lake we had a beautiful view over the lake and landscape. Photo’s rarely do these sceneries justice, but at least it gives you an idea of what to expect (see pictures below).

We then passed through Jozini, which was probably not the kind of place one wanted to arrive at at dusk in search of a place to stay. We again realised it was a blessing that we had to stay over in Pongola. The town was buzzing with activity though. One could see it was Saturday.

As you exit the town you ride over the huge dam wall. Very impressive! One of the locals stopped for a chat and claimed that they spent about 20 years building the wall. I don’t know ho true that is though. On the opposite bank we saw the local residents queuing for water, each with at least one bucket. Probably getting water for the week ahead, or for doing washing the next day. I thought how lucky we were with tapped water and washing machine. I remember reading in some book, someone said that they are the fortunate ones because they have a much better appreciation for the water they worked so hard to get…

The view over Lake Jozini
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0642

Looking over Lake Jozini
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0643

The foot of the dam wall
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0646

View from the dam wall
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0648
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 24th July 2008, 22:49

From here on we didn’t really stop until Kosi Bay border post. It was very rural and traditional settlements all the way to Kosi Bay. I think I was avoiding to stop to avoid the locals coming up and asking for sweets and money and whatever. It was probably a terrible generalisation and I must admit that afterwards I did regret it. There were some places where we could’ve taken nice photos. But as I have it these locals do not appreciate it to much if you take photos of them without there permission. And you mostly have to buy their permission…

The locals turned out to be very friendly. We got a lot of smiles and waves. Corlia sat on the back and waved almost the whole time…like the Queen of England. A lot of them looked very stunned/puzzled. Don’t think too many bikes pass here too regularly. We also came across a lot of cows and goats in the road. And potholes. So it was a slow and steady ride up to Kosi Bay. We also came across a man with a wheelbarrow filling up the potholes with sand and grass. I don’t know how long that would hold though.

And then we reached Kosi Bay! Fantastic! Our first extreme point. We took a smoke brake and took some photos.

Both of us
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0649

Rider...
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0650

...and pillion
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0651
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 24th July 2008, 22:56

It was just before 11h00 and we decided to push through to Sodwana and have breakfast there. I guest it was not more than an hour’s drive. We rode through Manguzi, Mbazwana and then Sodwana Bay. I could smell the see as we got closer. I love the coastline. Always beatifull scenery and people are always friendly. When we got to Sodwana we just kept heading straight and drove into Umlalazi Nature Reserve. We decided to book into one of the Chalets. R300 per person and well worth it. The chalets were very nice. Although facing towards the seaside, we couldn’t see the sea from our deck. Thick bushes blocked the view, but is was still great. We got Chalet number 13. Luckily we aren’t superstisieus!

Our Chalet in Umlalazi Game Reserve
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0652

I would definitely recommend taking an extra day and sleeping over in Sodwana when going for the eastern extreme point.

It was Corlia’s birthday the next dat day and it was the perfect setting. We unpacked and headed for the bar/restaurant to have, well, lunch by this time. It was very sandy and we had to park a few hundred metres away from the bar. I didn’t want to risk falling the day before Corlia’s birthday. We watched the second half of the Springboks versus the Aussies. Lost 16-9 and played crap. Anyway at least we were in Sodwana. We took a footpath down to the beach. Brilliant weather. Hard to think we were in the middle of winter. We walked along the shore for quite a while before we sat down and took in the moment. Beautiful! We then headed back and came across the 4x4 guys struggling to get their fish boats out of the water. I saw signs of where the jetty washed away during the last floods. So these fisherman had to tow their boats out of the water right their on the beach…in the sand. I don’t think that’s how it normally works. We headed back to the chalet and just relaxed for a couple of minutes.

View from the bar
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0653

Aaawww! At the bar
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0655

Lekker by die see!
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0660

Fishermen with their 4x4's (in the distance)
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0662

Kicking back at the chalet
OUR TRIP TO KOSI BAY 100_0664

We then headed back to the bar to watch the Cheetahs versus the Sharks. We decided to walk all the way from the chalet as we might get carried away celebrating Corlia’s birthday and I wouldn’t want to take on the sandy road back form the bar, in the dark, after a couple of captains. I am a Cheetah supporter! Who would have guessed, walking into a bar on the Natal coast with only (almost) cheetah supporters inside. Watched the game…played brilliant…won 32-9…enough said. We had a lovely dinner. Corlia had calamari and I had Kabeljou (line fish for the day). Very nice indeed. We had a few more drinks and headed back for a good night’s sleep.
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 24th July 2008, 23:05

I still have to do day 3... Will do it over the weekend. Hope you've enjoyed it so far Smile

Last edited by Sias on 28th July 2008, 10:52; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 24th July 2008, 23:29

You bet we are enjoying it.........keep it coming!
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 24th July 2008, 23:53

Your trip is precisely what motorcycling is about - the gathering of experiences and memories. Is there anyone out there that will be willing to go on record saying that the trip would have been just as memorable in vehicle with more than 2 wheels?
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 234
My bike : R1200 GS Adventure
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 25th July 2008, 21:41

Cool You could try driving your car down on just two wheels - I think that would be memorable...!? Shocked
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down