BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

MIST – SHARING PERSONAL EXPERIENCES

+6
MichaelW
Marnus
ChristoEngelbrecht
Happy-go-lucky
GSlady
JCM
10 posters

Go down

MIST – SHARING PERSONAL EXPERIENCES Empty MIST – SHARING PERSONAL EXPERIENCES

Post by JCM 20th June 2009, 15:58

Can seasoned bikers/forum members please share their personal experiences with us:

What do you do when you unexpectedly encounter mist/fog on the road?
Do you stop and wait or do you proceed?
What time of the day (early mornings/evenings) is mist most likely and where (which province) etcetera?
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 154
My bike : R1200RT
[Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!]
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

MIST – SHARING PERSONAL EXPERIENCES Empty Re: MIST – SHARING PERSONAL EXPERIENCES

Post by GSlady 20th June 2009, 20:39

I feel very uncomfortable riding in the mist.

Instinctively, but it goes without saying, I slow down.
So many cage drivers don’t realise how dangerous it is and they will just speed on, so watch your mirrors more than you usually do and of course watch out for stationary or slow traffic in front. Tail lights of the rider in front of you (or other vehicles in front) make it easier to follow the road but then not all vehicles have proper tail lights!
Wearing glasses makes it much more difficult. The small drops on my visor make me open the visor and that’s the biggest mistake. It’s easier to clean the visor with the chamois part of the glove than cleaning your glasses. Of course yellow glasses will ease visibility, but I don’t have those yet.

The pics below were taken between 7am and 8am early in May on the east coast between Kei Mouth and Butterworth.

MIST – SHARING PERSONAL EXPERIENCES Transkei-1

MIST – SHARING PERSONAL EXPERIENCES Transkei2

Thanks for raising this topic JCM - I would like to learn from seasoned riders as well..
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

MIST – SHARING PERSONAL EXPERIENCES Empty Re: MIST – SHARING PERSONAL EXPERIENCES

Post by Happy-go-lucky 21st June 2009, 09:02

Mist and fog can easily hang around up to 4 hours, and at any time of the day, especially in mountainous areas.
Happy-go-lucky
Happy-go-lucky
Your Friendly Black Knight

Number of posts : 378
My bike : BMW F650GS FL 2007
Yamaha TTR250 2009
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristoEngelbrecht 21st June 2009, 09:50

Hier onder in die Kaap het ons nogal baie mis. Ek glo dat die mis gewoontlik op sy ergste is met die wisseling tussen Somer en Winter.

Ek ry daagliks vanaf Gordons Baai na die Stad en daar is dele op die N2 waar die mis gewoontlik baie erg is. Die mis bly ook baie maklik dig tot hier by 10:00 in die oggend.

Ek ry gewoontlik 5:00 in die oggend weg van die huis af en dan sit jy met die donker en die mis op die pad.

Ek het 'n Oranje beskermer oor my lig en dit help in die mis.

Ek sal sodra ek mis kry my spoed aanpas maar ek sal probeer om in die vinnige baan net langs die wit lyn te bly. Dit gee my kans om na enige kant te beweeg indien 'n voetuig voor of agter my verskyn.

Baie belangrik is om heeltyd die spiëltjies dop te hou vir mal bestuurders met X-straal brille.

Indien die mis so erg is dat jy bang is om verder te ry, moet jy net onthou dat dit dieselfde vir almal is. Pas weereens jou spoed aan maar bly beweeg. Die grootste fout wat jy kan maak is om te stop. Jy maak van jou 'n stilstaande teiken. Solank jy beweeg kan jy steeds uit voertuie se pad beweeg maar as jy stilstaan het jy 'n probleem.

Indien jy moet kan jy jou helmet op 'n skrefie oopmaak, maar dit werk nie goed as jy bril dra nie. My handskoene het 'n winskermveër waarmee ek die skerm kan skoonvee. Ek gebruik ook in ons reënseisoen iets om die wasem in die helmet te beperk. Daar is verskeie produkte hievoor op die mark.

Onthou dat die pad oppervlak ook gewoontlik nat is wanner daar mis is.

Dit risiko wat saam met motorfiets ry kom vererger net veelvoudig as jou sig verswak.

Veilig ry!!!! Hou die rubber kant op die teer.
ChristoEngelbrecht
ChristoEngelbrecht
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 59
My bike : K1200LT R1200GSA R100RS
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 21st June 2009, 20:06

I only have this picture to share. I remember that day was magical with the mist... But I guess that mist on the road is very dangerous and would agree with Christo that it's better to slow down than to stop and become a sitting duck.

In poor visibility I would avoid the yellow line, because that is where most cages would go if they want to pull over or stop.

MIST – SHARING PERSONAL EXPERIENCES DSC01026
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelW 22nd June 2009, 12:26

This is all good advice. Slowing down and being more aware of the surroundings is vital. My tip is that I switch on my hazards in the mist, yellow/orange being more visible. It also warns the wonks behind that there is something in front of them.
I agree that the season change has an influence, especially in ET. Also had very bad mist on the R51 /R26 to Bronkies and Witbank last September. Could not even see the lines in some places.
I have yellow glasses, but they mist up just as easily as the visor on my helmet.
MichaelW
MichaelW
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 112
My bike : 1150 GS
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 22nd June 2009, 13:24

Through the mist, that desirable quality which we call "courage" fortunately the mist will evaporate in time. As the add on TV suggests “recognize potential and have the patience to wait for it.”
wingman
wingman
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 22nd June 2009, 13:24

You never stop. That is the best way to have a cage up your tail pipe. Get a "Fog City" and install it on the inside of your visor - it will prevent it from misting up and diminishing your vision. Drop your Fairing to the lowest it can go to get as much wind on your visor - helps to blow the fog drops and rain drops off.

If you have to wear glasses you have a problem - if you can take it off, as it is mostly the glasses that mist up. In short - also stay off the road markings as they will be very slippery in the wet. But dont stop - just ride slower, activate your hazards.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by iceman 22nd June 2009, 14:53

Good advise. I also use my hazards even in heavy rain situations. LeRoy this "Fog City" where can we get it and more or less what does it cost?
iceman
iceman
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 55
My bike : R 1200 GS
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 22nd June 2009, 14:59

iceman wrote:... LeRoy this "Fog City" where can we get it and more or less what does it cost?
Also interested..
and I HAVE to wear glasses Cool
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 22nd June 2009, 15:02

LOL in that stuff you need army supply " Night vision glasses" Shocked
wingman
wingman
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 22nd June 2009, 17:15

Yellow lense glasses have always done the trick for me.
Do not go too fast, as you might hit stuff in the mist. Also do not go too slow, or faster stuff might hit you. Use Hazards and reflective vests to increase your visibility. Open your visor and let the yellow lenses do their stuff. Not sure if you get yellow prescription lenses, but it should do the trick if you have to wear glasses.

I have found that the mist is normally in a section of the road 40km's or so and once you have passed it, conditions are much better. The mist will stay in that part or section for the whole of the day. Thus waiting it out might not always work.

Then I have also heard that by using Bon's turbo blower will scare all mist away Razz

Last edited by Mud Pooh-bah on 23rd June 2009, 12:09; edited 1 time in total
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 23rd June 2009, 11:13

Iceman - most bike accessories dont stock them - you have to ask for it. I bought mine from "Biketique" as you come in onto Pretorius Street from the Witbank HW. They did not stock it but ordered a few from wherever after my request.

Paid R500 for it a few years ago - dont know what it will cost now. Worth every penny - i never have the fogging up problem. Regardless of the cold, rain - whatever. Came back in a rain storm last year on the N3 - last day of the Easter School Holidays and the roads were very busy.

From the Top of Van Reenens to Villiers - and my vision was excellent, so my speed was not impaired by it. You stick it to inside of the visor and forget that it is there.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by iceman 23rd June 2009, 12:45

Thx

Is that what it is actually called, or is there a different name for it? Will it fit to any helmet visor, because I have the system 5 helmet?

Sorry for all the questions, but I ride my bike every day and sometimes the change in temperature early in the morning, I also have the problem of the visor and glasses fogging up.

Anyway thx for the info.
iceman
iceman
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 55
My bike : R 1200 GS
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by JCM 26th June 2009, 17:23

Thank you all for the valuable comments so far!!

I took the first small practical step and bought amber/yellow “clip on’s” for my glasses. I guess the R120.00 I’ve spent is not too much given the likelihood that one might urgently need them one day.
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 154
My bike : R1200RT
[Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!]
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down