BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Pants and boots. (Sounds like a band...)

+11
Marnus
LeRoy Olivier
Tony R
tj
morpheus
GSlady
Sias
KnopKop
ChristoEngelbrecht
JR
dakardrix
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pants and boots.  (Sounds like a band...) Empty Pants and boots. (Sounds like a band...)

Post by dakardrix 3rd March 2009, 10:22

Why do I see 95% of people wearing protective jackets and gloves everyday, yet 5% wearing protective pants and boots?

Do we really think our arms, shoulders and hands are any more vulnerable than knees, ankles, etc.?

My theory is that it is just peer pressure, doing what the others around me do, i.e. okes in some other countries still riding without helmets? I mean, if we just think a bit - what injury causes the most deaths among bikers? I suspect a broken neck, yet we still debate whether a Leatt is the right thing or not (and no, I don't have one either - how stupid is that...)

What you think? Shocked
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Pants and boots.  (Sounds like a band...) Empty Re: Pants and boots. (Sounds like a band...)

Post by JR 3rd March 2009, 11:05

dakardrix wrote:Why do I see 95% of people wearing protective jackets and gloves everyday, yet 5% wearing protective pants and boots?........What you think?...

methinks they will only do it until the first fall Smile

We saw the crowd coming back from the Impala on Sunday and it was unbelievable to notice the gear (or the lack thereof) that they were riding with. Shocked

however, my take on it has a slightly different angle.

Biking offers almost unmatched freedom and if someone chooses to ride in whatever, it’s fine by me. I might laugh in disbelieve by myself and it might indirectly impact on me but I will never confront anyone about their choice of riding gear.

In silence I do hope they observe and follow an example…….the clan has a hard and rigid rule……..no ATGATT, no RIDING and atgatt for us means proper boots, protective riding pants, protective jacket, decent gloves and a good helmet.

.........quite possibly it might means something different to someone else...........which is also fine and let's never forget the "small and insignificant" aspect of money which is an unfortunate reality. Although my personal believes are there is no price on safty or if you like, sort out the gear first then look for a bike

The more difficult questions are with the grey areas…….our daughter going to school on her scooter???

we have chosen what we think the best compromise is……..helmet, gloves and a jacket scratch
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Pants and boots.  (Sounds like a band...) Empty Re: Pants and boots. (Sounds like a band...)

Post by ChristoEngelbrecht 3rd March 2009, 12:14

I myself was one of those that although I had decent safety trousers, only used them over weekends and never when commuting. I always had my jacket, helmet, gloves and boots on.

One day it happened and I now own 6 safety pants. After 2 years riding with a cane and R1.2m and 7 operations I will never get on the bike without full ATTGAT.
ChristoEngelbrecht
ChristoEngelbrecht
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 59
My bike : K1200LT R1200GSA R100RS
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 3rd March 2009, 12:21

I share MadnohB's views on this.

I ALWAYS ride with Jacket, gloves and helmet, but not always with protective pants and riding boots. I always feel a bit vulnerable riding without these, but I adjust my riding accordingly.

On Club rides and any other rides where the plan for the day is the riding, or when I commute to work, I wear my full pimp suit. Sometimes the situation demands something different. For example on Saturday, I was at Bavarian chatting to Dave, he was dressed in full rider gear as he was only doing riding for the day (Home-Bavarian-Home). I on the other hand, I was dressed in jeans, sneakers, jacket and gloves as I had to meet someone right after I visited Bavarian.

So, I fully agree with both Drix and MadnohB, that one SHOULD wear ATGATT, but sometimes the situation demands something else. And at the end of the day you are responsible for your own "gat-velle" so the choice is up to the individual.

My 2c
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 3rd March 2009, 13:00

I hear you Sharkie, and I also have the odd ride without proper pants and boots. I've even been know to ride without a helmet down my drive way! cyclops

But the price you have to pay for a few minutes of pleasure (or laziness, yes it's a schlep I know) is just not worth it - look at Christo's msg, I am sure most serious accidents - or serious enough to cause lots of issues, are the quick trips to the shops, friends, Bavarian, wherever. I've decided a long time ago that a bike is not a toy and traffic not a playpen. Of course we play, but you know, the habit to dress fully is one that is quick to acquire.

It's fine just look after your skin (or not) - the problem is you have NO idea how serious and when your next encounter is going to be.

Not preaching (except to myself), just thinking...
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 3rd March 2009, 13:09

Drix, you are 100% correct.

And I am VERY aware of the dangers. Like I said, this is the exception, not the rule and it does not happen often. I hear you saying that ONLY ONE incident is enough, and I realise that as well.

All I am saying is that the decision is up to the individual, unless on Club-rides, there the ride leader (and Club) takes some responsibility and the ride leader can very easily refuse a rider on any ride if the leader feels that the rider is placing himself or other riders in danger.
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 3rd March 2009, 14:18

I also only wear full gear on long trips and not commuting to work and back. For everyday commuting I don't wear pants and boots. And like Sharkie said, I adjust my riding style accordingly.

I also beleive every individual should decide for himself/herself what risk he/she is willing to take. But I agree Jamie that my perception will more than likely change after a big fall...
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 3rd March 2009, 14:33

Sias wrote:... I don't wear pants and boots..
Whaaat?
Sorry - had to respond on that. Embarassed
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 3rd March 2009, 14:44

GSlady wrote:
Whaaat?

lol!

I also typed that, then I re-read my post and changed it quick-quick !!!!

affraid affraid
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by morpheus 3rd March 2009, 15:04

There is another side to the story as well, not all gear is created equal. I had an off with a very good brand name mesh jacket and the jacket wore through so my arm was damaged. I fell at max 40km\h and slid for less than 2m.

So when you buy, buy the best you can. I see a lot of bikers out there with very budget gear and sadly, it will not always stand up to the job. Your first defense is riding for the conditions, however you can never account for what a cage driver may do. Sometimes no matter what you do, the accident is going to happen, then I want to be wearing the best I can be and as much of it as possible.

Although we are all responsible for our own asses, when a biker is in an accident, and said biker was not wearing gear, leading to severe injuries, we are all painted with the same brush. As an interesting aside, insurance companies are starting to see it the same way. You may be the best rider, with courses etc. sadly you will be put in the same group as the once a month rider that is more prone to killing himself. Everything we do as a group eventually affects the individual.

Peace
M
morpheus
morpheus
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 117
My bike : 1200GS
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 3rd March 2009, 15:48

morpheus wrote:There is another side to the story as well, not all gear is created equal. I had an off with a very good brand name mesh jacket and the jacket wore through so my arm was damaged. I fell at max 40km\h and slid for less than 2m.

Mmmm, you have me thinking. The jacket I wear most is a cheap (but very good quality) Nitro mesh jacket. The padding is as good if not better than my other 2 jackets so I know the impact is catered for (am I really going to think that way one day when we all wear air bag jackets?), but I always knew that mesh is not going to last that far as I slide along.... No

But it works so well in our weather, those heavy jackets just don't do it for me in SA - only time they feel comfortable is at speed and early and late on winter days! De Wildt, not working so well!
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 4th March 2009, 12:32

GSlady wrote:
Whaaat?

What can I say...? I'm a free spirit! Laughing geek
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 4th March 2009, 13:06

and you probably like dancing......ball room Twisted Evil
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 4th March 2009, 15:56

MadnohB wrote:and you probably like dancing......ball room Twisted Evil

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

NO COMMENT!
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 4th March 2009, 16:02

Basketball
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 4th March 2009, 22:39

Drix. You like playing ball? Embarassed
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 4th March 2009, 23:01

laat my dink aan die kind wat so arm groot geword het, as hy nie 'n seun was nie, het hy niks gehad om mee te speel nie Twisted Evil
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 5th March 2009, 08:50

So this is where we land up when you start talking about protection! scratch afro
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 5th March 2009, 08:55

protection is important........either way Smile

sorry for the hijack Drix!
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 5th March 2009, 09:07

MadnohB wrote:protection is important........either way Smile

sorry for the hijack Drix!

Hey, you got us going, hijack also ok!

Talking about protection, how's the chill this morning? Was that now summer, done? Time to look for my secret weapon, the helmet skirt I discovered last year...
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony R 5th March 2009, 09:39

How I wish now that I could experience a bit of the winter chill. Have not had my broken Triumph for two months now. I think I have probably forgotten how to ride. So enjoy the chilly morning air. You are at least riding.

Tony R
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 225
My bike : Sadly no bike. Finances forced the sale of my Tigger.
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 5th March 2009, 10:01

Oh no, not complaining, just the realisation that I wasted so many riding opportunities this summer. Just a time for change of gear.

It reminds me, I did the Zwartkops Intro Off-road course in May two years ago. There was a guy who rode down from Windhoek for the course as he was going to start presenting the same in Nam. And he said how he loves the winter, that's when they can start riding as mid-summer is just too hot.
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 5th March 2009, 18:15

So P-Town took all the cool weather?
Cape Town traded its mountain for a heat wave today.

Since this thread has been hijacked - sorry Drix - we can just as well discuss the weather?
Please go protected . .
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 6th March 2009, 08:53

What's wrong with Ball Room - except if one should not take the phrase on face value. I tend to agree - wear as musch protective gear as you can. Got flipped in traffic a year ago by a new motorist that went straight where she should have turned - hooked the protective fin on the side of the LT.

I saw it coming and rolled the bike to the side, rolled off and twisted my ankle, but sustained no other damage to myself - the boots i was wearing prevented this. The leathers protected the rest. Did nothing for my ego though - ?????? up 30 years of no falling record. Lucky no damage to the LT.

The worst are the school kids and young students - who mostly wear either slipons or even slippers.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 6th March 2009, 10:26

LeRoy Olivier wrote:What's wrong with Ball Room - except if one should not take the phrase on face value. I tend to agree - wear as musch protective gear as you can. Got flipped in traffic a year ago by a new motorist that went straight where she should have turned - hooked the protective fin on the side of the LT.

I saw it coming and rolled the bike to the side, rolled off and twisted my ankle, but sustained no other damage to myself - the boots i was wearing prevented this. The leathers protected the rest. Did nothing for my ego though - ?????? up 30 years of no falling record. Lucky no damage to the LT.

Now explain to me how you "rolled the bike to the side" and no damage?? Shocked
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next