BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

What type of accommodation do you prefer?

+15
GSlady
Wahl
tj
DaveS
Mermaid
Richard H
Tony R
Joe
Tr0jan
ChristoEngelbrecht
Happy-go-lucky
Admin
LeRoy Olivier
morpheus
JR
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If you travel by bike, where do you prefer to stay?

What type of accommodation do you prefer? Vote_lcap2%What type of accommodation do you prefer? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
What type of accommodation do you prefer? Vote_lcap34%What type of accommodation do you prefer? Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 20 ]
What type of accommodation do you prefer? Vote_lcap31%What type of accommodation do you prefer? Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 18 ]
What type of accommodation do you prefer? Vote_lcap33%What type of accommodation do you prefer? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 20 ]

Total Votes : 59

What type of accommodation do you prefer? Empty What type of accommodation do you prefer?

Post by JR 14th January 2009, 13:17

let's hear from the members where they would like to stay when on the road with a bike.

You can select more than one option

Maybe admin would like to create a "Poll" section and move this post?
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

What type of accommodation do you prefer? Empty Re: What type of accommodation do you prefer?

Post by morpheus 14th January 2009, 15:44

I voted for camping. My rationale is simply because it is cheap, you can take your lodgings with you, allowing you more freedom as to where you want to stop. Often I have ridden through a truly amazing place and wanted to stop and stay there only to find there were no lodgings.

I will be the first to admit there are drawbacks to camping but with the technology now at the disposal to the fervent camper, many of the drawbacks have been mitigated. This from someone that is claustrophobic and hates enclosed spaces, I have had to re-learn sleeping in a tent.

Morpheus
morpheus
morpheus
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 117
My bike : 1200GS
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

What type of accommodation do you prefer? Empty Re: What type of accommodation do you prefer?

Post by LeRoy Olivier 14th January 2009, 20:59

Personally speaking - anything less than 3 star is regarded as camping. lol!

When travelling we prefer to have a nice warm bed, nice warm bath and in general a relaxed setup at the end of the days riding. From our perspective we prefer a BB, as you often times stop very late for lunch during the course of the riding day and dinner is then not very high on the end of day itenary.

Also when travelling i normally try and book the honey moon suite at least once during the trip as a special treat for Elsabe. Don't get me wrong - i grew up in a camping family, it just does not suit our needs anymore.

This is a very good "Poll" to do in the club from a ride organizing perspective as the ride organiser has to find a venue that can cater for a small to large number of people at any given time. I hope this thread gets a very large reaction from the club members.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 14th January 2009, 22:09

Still a bit early to draw conclusions but certainly very interesting so far.

We have been traveling as part of the roadies with the club since 2005 and if I had to put a percentage on campers on the various trips, I would say it’s a maximum of 10% yet the early poll results suggest something else. scratch

For me – and I’m not trying to influence future voting - Cool ………after 800km in the saddle, the last thing I would want to do is to go and pitch a tent and rest on the ground only to pack up everything tomorrow morning and do it all over again tomorrow afternoon/night at a different location…...not to mention queuing for a cold shower. Rolling Eyes

I would therefore prefer roofed/catered accommodation. If you only stay one night at a certain location, it’s simply more convenient to stay at B&B’s/Guest houses. My philosophy regarding this choice is almost the same as when buying rider gear……..go for the most expensive you can afford…….I can like some luxury pirat and by this I don't imply it's wrong to want to camp.

Different folk, different........... Very Happy
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 14th January 2009, 22:29

MadnohB wrote:.. Maybe admin would like to create a "Poll" section and move this post?

Okay...

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by morpheus 15th January 2009, 07:40

When I started riding I hardly had enough money to put petrol in my bike. The only way to indulge the need to go on road trips was to camp. Those early days were some of the best trips I have ever had in my life and to be honest nothing lately has come close.

As my financial position has improved, I have sometimes opted for the B&B. I know a lot of riders especially in the BM club have been riding 5 years or less, or only started later in life. I have noticed in that particular group a predilection for B&B's etc. Now please don't be offended by the remark it simply illustrates that bikers who begin later in life, have more money to indulge themselves and in some cases, older backs that will not tolerate night after night on the ground.

If you were doing this poll on the WD forum where the guys all ride DS bikes and their trips are a little more extreme, you would find camping rating in the top 10 percent of the choices. Mostly because the places these people choose to ride, in most cases you will not find suitable lodgings. Different strokes for different folks but a poll like this really helps. When choosing riding partners, you can choose people with similar interests.

Morpheus
morpheus
morpheus
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy-go-lucky 15th January 2009, 08:19

I prefer camping, been doing it for years already. It does open up more areas to visit. Though from time to time I don't mind staying at a B&B on long trips amongst the camping.
Happy-go-lucky
Happy-go-lucky
Your Friendly Black Knight

Number of posts : 378
My bike : BMW F650GS FL 2007
Yamaha TTR250 2009
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristoEngelbrecht 15th January 2009, 08:57

I like both camping and B&B's. Depending of my mode of transport I will either prefer to camp or stay in B&B's.

If I take the GSA I have more space to pack the camping gear than on the LT.

The LT is also always ending up in places where there are enough luxury place to stay over.

The GSA on the other hand sometimes ends up where there are no luxury options and then camping is the way to go.
ChristoEngelbrecht
ChristoEngelbrecht
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 59
My bike : K1200LT R1200GSA R100RS
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 15th January 2009, 08:58

morpheus wrote:........Different strokes for different folks but a poll like this really helps. When choosing riding partners, you can choose people with similar interests.

are you trying to tell me something morhpman? Laughing Laughing Laughing

back to the poll.......

morpheus wrote:.......If you were doing this poll on the WD forum where the guys all ride DS bikes and their trips are a little more extreme, you would find camping rating in the top 10 percent of the choices......

that is exactly what confuses me.....it's not on the WD forum it's on the BM club's site where we often have a 50/50 split between roadies and GS's on rides and I'm yet to see the masses camp on a trip......in fact in practise the contrary happens, one or two out of a group may camp........ scratch

be it as it may.........

there are no "correct or popular" answers here, it's not a trick question and remember it's anonymous.

the idea is to get the members' preference for accommodation while touring with a bike (excluding rallies) so speak your mind and stipulate your expectations for now and tomorrow Wink
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tr0jan 15th January 2009, 09:52

MadnohB wrote:

We have been traveling as part of the roadies with the club since 2005 and if I had to put a percentage on campers on the various trips, I would say it’s a maximum of 10% yet the early poll results suggest something else. scratch

Problem is, if 7 people go on a trip, the one person that does not want to camp, makes all the other not camp, cause that person does not have the equipment (or not willing to get/borrow some).
Tr0jan
Tr0jan
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 142
My bike : K1200S / R1150FSE(wrecked) / Zooka CRE 125/ Puzey MXA 125 / Honda Monkey Bike / 47cc Pocket Bike
Registration date : 2008-08-15

http://www.wttu.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 15th January 2009, 10:01

not quite true for organised trips.

Most of the places we have overnight at in the past, offered a choice of camping or chalets/rooms. Venues are specifically selected with this in mind. Members are free to choose whatever they want
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by morpheus 15th January 2009, 12:48

I will gladly go on a road trip with you Jamie, even if I have to stay on road the whole time and stay in a B&B.

There is some truth to what Tr0jan said. Often when it comes to making the arrangements, the campers will opt to go B&B to satisfy the rest. Mostly due to wanting to be part of the group and enjoy the same comforts. This is not true for everyone but certainly does happen. I believe it is referred to as peer pressure?

What I love about being involved with bikes and other bikers is their diversity. I can go on a road trip with you and stay in B&B's or an off road trip with Robert and camp. I get to do both if I like, neither, or only one of the two. That was one of the reasons for choosing the DS bike.

I am not even worried if people trailer their bikes to the hotel where they are staying and ride around there. It's all about different people doing what makes them happy. If they are happy, then so am I.

Lastly I would like to say that I believe a lot of people think to be a biker you have to be hardcore. Camping is hardcore compared to B&B's, so perhaps some people voted camping purely for that reason, although given the choice they may prefer a soft bed and a warm shower.

Enough from me now!
Morpheus
morpheus
morpheus
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 15th January 2009, 17:26

Tend to agree fully with Jamie - the more comfort after a long day in the saddle the better. Hence why we BB or go for the self catering options, with the BB being the 1st choice.

Yes staying on the tar road, and not frequenting the more hard to reach areas that can only be reached by off road, i suppose there is a lot of places we dont see.

But being on the wrong side of 45 - our comfort rates high - riding and overnighting.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe 15th January 2009, 22:28

I dont do many overnighters, but B&B all the way for me ...
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 148
My bike : K1200S Indigo Blue
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony R 16th January 2009, 08:58

I love camping and go to Mozambique camping a lot. I will use my 4x4 and trailer so that when I do camp I am comfortable. Decent kitchen area, gazebos for sun and rain protection. When touring on my bike however space is limited so I will stay in B and B accommodation or hotels. I want to be able to park, have a nice shower, sleep in a comfortable bed and have someone else prepare food for me. The one who is boss will not camp either when we are on the bike. She is happy to camp with the necessary luxuries and comfort.

Tony R
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 225
My bike : Sadly no bike. Finances forced the sale of my Tigger.
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 16th January 2009, 21:49

I think this way in terms of priorities:

1. Security - bike and riders must be safe, and the bike must be there the next morning.
2. Comfort - the overnight must be a place to relax, rest, refresh and revitalize the spirit.
3. Cost - when I ride on my own, I don't want to pay for two people's accommodation - a common problem in B+B's that charge single occupant surcharges.
4. Convenience - it should be convenient to get to and depart from the next morning at sunrise.

I enjoy camping, I enjoy self-catering/lodges, I enjoy B+B's and I enjoy hotels where rates are reasonable. They are all part of the road trip experience. By rejecting any of the options out of hand, you restrict your experiences.

I also ride solo - not having a pillion that needs a hairdryer un-complicates a lot of issues!
On our Extreme Gold trip last year we did all the above options at different times...and being four males, we doubled up per room to save costs. Very Happy Crying or Very sad
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S

Back to top Go down

Post by Mermaid 17th January 2009, 01:46

Richard H wrote:...I also ride solo - not having a pillion that needs a hairdryer un-complicates a lot of issues!

Agreed Richard but a hairdryer is the smallest of problems. Women do need some additional stuff that men don't use and I won’t elaborate on this, let’s just call it anti-aging stuff.

The biggest problem however, if you're not staying at a hotel or B & B, is towels. They are so bulky and almost take up all the space in one pannier. See with the relative small sport panniers on the ST or the K for that matter, one need to be far more conscious of what you want to take with. It’s not as big as the GS panniers…….looks twice as good and takes half the capacity…….or something like that.

I therefore prefer to stay at a place where I can get a clean towel and especially bathroom after a long day on the road. SmileyCentral.com
Mermaid
Mermaid
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 24
My bike : F800ST K9
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 17th January 2009, 16:13

Tend to agree with Stienie - i have the use of the left hand pannier on the LT (standing behind) - the top box is for Elsabe and a few extra things, and the right hand pannier is for the rain suits, puncture kit and Elsabe's vanity case, with al the female maintenance thingies in it.

So yes even though the LT seems to have large pannier - compared Jamie/Stienie's carrying capacity - it also has its limitations. Hence we BB or hotel or Self cater if we will be staying over for more than one night at a venue.

Planning a ride - i tend to lean towards BB's as a first choice.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 19th January 2009, 00:47

Mermaid wrote:The biggest problem however, if you're not staying at a hotel or B & B, is towels. They are so bulky and almost take up all the space in one pannier. See with the relative small sport panniers on the ST or the K for that matter, one need to be far more conscious of what you want to take with.

I therefore prefer to stay at a place where I can get a clean towel and especially bathroom after a long day on the road.

What type of accommodation do you prefer? Lamer

I found that the best way to deal with a damp towel is to drape it over the luggage / top box and hold down with a cargo net. Turn it around whenever you stop and it is dry in no time. For Christmas my kids bought me a camping towel that folds into a 10x12x2 cm web bag. I haven't tried it out yet, but if it works, I have no problem in that department anymore...
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 19th January 2009, 09:04

Richard H wrote:For Christmas my kids bought me a camping towel that folds into a 10x12x2 cm web bag. I haven't tried it out yet, but if it works, I have no problem in that department anymore...

Got that as well from Dorothy - she bought me two - a 'his' and 'hers' set! Shocked Still have to try them out. Guess that will be at the Buff in March.
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 19th January 2009, 18:04

Rejuvenated DaveS wrote:
Richard H wrote:For Christmas my kids bought me a camping towel that folds into a 10x12x2 cm web bag. I haven't tried it out yet, but if it works, I have no problem in that department anymore...

Got that as well from Dorothy - she bought me two - a 'his' and 'hers' set! Shocked Still have to try them out. Guess that will be at the Buff in March.

They WORK WELL! Leave all the old stuff at home... And use the saved space for extra bottles of Klippies & Gin!
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 19th January 2009, 19:35

tj wrote:
They WORK WELL! Leave all the old stuff at home... And use the saved space for extra bottles of Klippies & Gin!

Jislaaik!! Dis 'n concoction daai!!!! Shocked
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 20th January 2009, 21:55

Klip-en-Spook? cyclops

I have just realised one reason why I take up less pannier/suitcase space.
When SWMBO* and I went away for a few nights last week, I took the toiletries bag I have for put together specifically for travelling.

As I travel rather often, usually for a night or two. I have small 25-50ml bottles of everything I need - shampoo, soft soap, mouthwash, medication, etc. that I keep filling up from the big bottles at home. I keep small tubes of toothpaste and even a travel razor and toothbrush. I can look after my personal hygiene from that toiletries bag for five (seven at a stretch) days and it is about 20x15x7cm. It will fit happily in my tank-bag with all the rain gear and spare gloves.

SWMBO*, on the other hand, took a large bag with all the big 200-500ml tubes, bottles, jars and boxes of stuff off the bathroom counter - enough to last 21 days, or 30 if she used it sparingly. She needed half a walk-on sized suitcase for her toiletries - excluding the hair drier, hand mirror and such.

So ladies, may I suggest that you obtain a man sized toiletries bag and a collection of suitable new or recycled little bottles and fill them from the large stock on the vanity slab. This will leave you with enough space for your other rider's stuff. Laughing

*she who must be obeyed
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 21st January 2009, 22:30

Rejuvenated DaveS wrote:
tj wrote:

Jislaaik!! Dis 'n concoction daai!!!! Shocked

Nee nee Kêrels. Die mix word plaaslik aangeskaf. Te swaar en te bulky vir 'n fiets!
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 23rd January 2009, 21:23

Bottle of Chivas works better - no mix - just add ice. Ask Dave.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next