BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Ok, here goes…… who has their PhD in dropsy?

+17
Tr0jan
morpheus
LeRoy Olivier
Mermaid
tj
Henk
DeonP
Mud Pooh-bah
Rooikat
JR
DaveS
GSlady
KnopKop
Happy-go-lucky
Tony R
Wahl
wingman
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ok, here goes…… who has their PhD in dropsy? Empty Ok, here goes…… who has their PhD in dropsy?

Post by wingman 11th November 2008, 16:15

Tell us how many times you have dropped your bike.

PS: LT’s are excluded as they seem to stand on their own, unless you have really obtained your PhD in stupidity. affraid
wingman
wingman
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Ok, here goes…… who has their PhD in dropsy? Empty Re: Ok, here goes…… who has their PhD in dropsy?

Post by Wahl 11th November 2008, 16:23

7 and still counting
Wahl
Wahl
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Ok, here goes…… who has their PhD in dropsy? Empty Re: Ok, here goes…… who has their PhD in dropsy?

Post by Tony R 11th November 2008, 16:25

I have dropped just about every bike I have owned. The current Sprint has been dropped twice. First the left side got damaged. R 12k and then washing it recently if fell on the right side. Fixed the brake lever and still have to repair or replace the right side lower fairing panel. The most frustrating thing ever.

Tony R
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 225
My bike : Sadly no bike. Finances forced the sale of my Tigger.
Registration date : 2008-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy-go-lucky 11th November 2008, 16:32

Post vanished!?! Oh well retype it and hope no one else posts before I am finished.

I must have a PhD in Dropsy as I have dropped my bike 9 times since I started riding in February after getting my bike in January this year. First 2 times was in the first week of riding when I forgot to put out my foot when I stopped on tar roads. The next 5 was at the off road training course I did in September while riding on a very rocky boulder foot path. Last 2 drops was on both my GS trips I did in October and November this year. At my rate I drop my bike per GS trip.
Happy-go-lucky
Happy-go-lucky
Your Friendly Black Knight

Number of posts : 378
My bike : BMW F650GS FL 2007
Yamaha TTR250 2009
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 11th November 2008, 16:40

Well,

I dropped the GS,

1. Veld at Wonderboom Airport - in VERY thick mud
2. Mozambique - sand
3. Mozambique - sand
4. Mozambique - sand
5. Mozambique - sand
6. On route to Muller's Pass (high-side on slippery dirt-road in the wet)

Only damages to the GS:
Broken mirror / indicator
Scratches on tank from my boot as I flew over the tank.

I have lost count of how many times I have crashed/dropped the CRF !!!!
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 11th November 2008, 17:19

Yep, if not a PhD, certainly a Masters.

I dropped my 650GS on his first ride – soft sand on a game farm - actually a slow fall.
The numerous low speed falls in 2005, 2006, 2008 in the deep sand of Mozambique & Kosi Bay can be seen as drops, I think? – Indicators and mirrors (note the plural!)
Oh and once when I was so scared after almost running into a rhino on the farm: Straight into the garage, climbed off – no side stand.

And my new 800GS: dropped it twice on gravel..

I dropped hubby’s 1200GS the same day it was returned from repairs – but I got The Marriage Tester Award for that. Embarassed

Geezz.. enough is enough! Fortunately I can still smile.
A big THANK YOU to Marius, Colin the Sweep, Pieter the gentleman and all the other fellow riders for helping me back on the wheels cheers

This is one of those topics that can wreck one's self esteem - Thanks, wingman bounce Smile
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 11th November 2008, 17:58

Does this include riding over your foot??? Wink

...ducks while running away...... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 11th November 2008, 18:04

That depends on what gear you selected Smile
wingman
wingman
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 11th November 2008, 22:22

Rejuvenated DaveS wrote:Does this include riding over your foot??......

oi engelsman!!! met jou polities korrekte afrikaanse van, jy soek vir k……mmmh moeilikheid. Wink Smile Smile Smile

Ok, I’m man enough to lower the guard Cool but as the chief lady pointed out, this is not good for the ego Laughing

With the 2005 1200GS “het ek onwaardig neergeblik@#m” 2 days after the K had been in an accident – not with me on it - no real damage…….not to the bike anyway.

Then more than 100 000 incident free km’s for which I’m very grateful.

Went through quite a few bikes until this year when I bought my lightest bike ever and within the space of 4 months, dropped it (had it dropped) 3 times. All fairly minor but sort of expensive..... Mad

First the infamous “foot” incident: right side damage R10k

Ok, here goes…… who has their PhD in dropsy? Dsc_0212

Ok, here goes…… who has their PhD in dropsy? Dsc_0211

Second an “over eager pavement” – true story my cousin – jumped in front of me: left side damage R10k;

Ok, here goes…… who has their PhD in dropsy? Dsc_1010

Ok, here goes…… who has their PhD in dropsy? Colage10

and lastly when we were away to the YEF, the bike was dropped off the paddock stand: right side damage R3k

at least I "stay in step"…….right, left, right Smile

now, while we are at it..........can someone please explain to us step by step how to dismount a GSA very acrobatically Wink I'll give a hint or two......

- new GSA
- YEF
- Barberton

Last edited by MadnohB on 12th November 2008, 06:35; edited 4 times in total
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy-go-lucky 11th November 2008, 22:32

Ouch! Engine block got scratched.... That is going to cost to get that replaced or repaired.
Happy-go-lucky
Happy-go-lucky
Your Friendly Black Knight

Number of posts : 378
My bike : BMW F650GS FL 2007
Yamaha TTR250 2009
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooikat 12th November 2008, 08:11

The last bike I have dropped, was my KLR: 1st time on the day I got it, 2nd time directly outside a crowded restaurant. Luckily the guys came running out to help with the pick up. Nother bruised, only my ego ruined.

Haven't dropped the GS, or the ST yet (touch wood afro ). Sincerely hope it doesn't happen, but ....... then ........ the plot thickens ....... I can only hope and pray ... What a Face
Rooikat
Rooikat
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 89
My bike : 2007 F650GS ........... AND ............. 800ST !!!!!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 12th November 2008, 08:32

I do not have a long enough memory for remembering all my falls. I would guess probably more than 50. If you only count those drops at a speed of 60km/h or more it would be about 4 with my GS adventure and 5 or more with my Enduro bikes.

If you do not fall you are not going fast enough!!!

Riders from the dark side (i.e. tar roads) excluded of course Very Happy
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DeonP 12th November 2008, 09:02

I have owned many bikes over many years and luckily have not suffered from the Dropsy Syndrome.
The only bike of mine that has ever been horizontal was my K1200S ( 1 month old with 1000ks on the clock). This was beyond my control as I was T-boned by a jerk in an Audi A4. I was more concerned about my new bike lying on the tar with the engine still running than my broken leg !
The GSs I can understand a ding, a dent, a scratch here and there, but seeing Jamies pictures, I want to cringe ( spelling ?).
I do suffer from Dropsy, but only with cellphones,ipods, cameras then I am a champion !
DeonP
DeonP
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 469
My bike : 1200GS ADVENTURE
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 12th November 2008, 12:28

MadnohB wrote:now, while we are at it..........can someone please explain to us step by step how to dismount a GSA very acrobatically Wink I'll give a hint or two......

- new GSA
- YEF
- Barberton

me, me,me - but you have to admit that it was a spectacular dismount and roll.....
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 12th November 2008, 17:40

oh wow.. what did I miss...

more, more... ??
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henk 12th November 2008, 21:24

Twice and only BMW was the wiswer as next day was service day. I was told (with a smugon face) we also repaired your gear lever and clutch. Basta.......
Henk
Henk
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 205
My bike : F650GS
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 12th November 2008, 21:50

Ja, OK I also have to admit... My RT only once. But Gemmerkat never heard of it until now. (I'll be sleeping alone tonight)

When we went to Pontdrif we slept over at a very stupid lodge. I parked in front and Gemmerkat took the walk to the room while I had to take the RT around. There was a very thick patch of sand and the front wheel just wouldn't go where the rear was pushing. We both went down, but the bike only down against the left pot, being so deep in the sand.

Talking about ego. She asked me what was wrong when I was quite quiet for the rest of the evening. I blamed the stupid room and noisy airconditioner but in fact it was just me.

So ja now the sectret is out!
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 12th November 2008, 22:55

MadnohB wrote:... oi engelsman!!! met jou polities korrekte afrikaanse van, ...

lol! oh I'm slow.. Madnohb, more than just a fast biker eh!
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mermaid 12th November 2008, 23:12

Let me take a solidarity ego dive SmileyCentral.com

Happened very early in my “biking career”, during the training, front brake in a lefthander and woeps waps, down we went – luckily it was not my bike. A bit of blood – not too serious though – but I almost gave up biking at that point.

Picture this, loooong day in the saddle, tired and my nails are too long for the space in the gloves (3 nails actually went blue after that trip. Crying or Very sad We arrived at dusk with a steep gradient down to the dam. Put down my foot to decide where to park and as a result of the slope, there was no ground underneath my foot. When I eventually touched base, the bike’s angle was too much for me to uphold…..all in very slow motion. Never fixed the scratches but gave the new owner a R10k discount.

Definitely not my aim to get further qualified in dropsy. SmileyCentral.com
Mermaid
Mermaid
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 24
My bike : F800ST K9
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 13th November 2008, 00:23

Waiting on side of road, slight incline, trying to see past bikes behind me to see if oncoming traffic before I pull out into the lane - leaned the bike a bit too much to the left - and down it went...
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 13th November 2008, 08:00

........with a dismount that would have made Nadia Komeneche proud. Smile
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 13th November 2008, 08:12

Absolutely - however it will be confined to memory as you lot were too slow with the camera. Razz Wink
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 13th November 2008, 10:21

This thread just goes to show even the more experienced riders in the club tend to have spills. During 2005 - with the previous LT (Contrary to popular belief they can also be dropped), as we pulled away in the driveway, with the front wheel already in the road and the back wheel still on the sidewalk/driveway - i got distracted and closed the throttle to far.

Maybe it was the blond in the car that crossed in front of us. Having the bike already canted into the right hander turn, the sudden loss of power dropped the LT like a brick and the next moment i was between the rose bushes, with Elsabe standing next to the bike.

No damage to the bike - only the ego. I knew the bike was heavy (380kgs dry weight) - between the 2 of us we lifted it and got it upright. Obviously the angle at which we had to do this added to the dilema.

There is an old addage - you have to fall at least 3 times before you can regard yourself as a biker. However when this phrase was coined the GS fraternity was not yet taken into consideration. Regards and safe landings and safe riding.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by morpheus 14th November 2008, 09:56

I have been riding a fair amount of years and in all that time I have not dropped a bike on road too many times. Off road is something else and surely does not count.

However, as we are on two wheels and not four, no matter the experience level, a moment of inattention can have disasterous consequences. I believe the key is maintain a healthy respect for the bike at all times regardless of experience levels or how many times you have done a set move.

Finally as long as one learns something from the expereince then it was not without merit.

Morpheus
morpheus
morpheus
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 117
My bike : 1200GS
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tr0jan 14th November 2008, 11:44

On the road, never, touch wood...

Offroad, too many times to recall, maybe in the region of 40 times (plastic bike excluded).

And no, its not that I cannot ride... I just push the boundaries..
Tr0jan
Tr0jan
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 142
My bike : K1200S / R1150FSE(wrecked) / Zooka CRE 125/ Puzey MXA 125 / Honda Monkey Bike / 47cc Pocket Bike
Registration date : 2008-08-15

http://www.wttu.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum