BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Lady In The Dirt

5 posters

Go down

Lady In The Dirt Empty Lady In The Dirt

Post by peterf 7th August 2008, 14:15

Hi Folks, this is my second attempt at posting a topic. The first one raised virtually no interest so I will keep this serious. And I thought only Harleys lacked a sense of humour! bounce

I ride a R1200RT which I purchased in 2006 with only 600 kms on the clock. I have since put on another 18000. I am really impressed with the handling and performance but ever since I purchased it I have been semi-brain washed to believe that it is purely a tar road bike and cannot be taken on a dirt road.

Previous to this I last rode 30 years ago when I was in the Durban City Police. There I had a patrol bike which was a Honda 550cc which I used solidly for 2 1/2 years come rain, snow or sunshine. Well okay, Durban doesn't get snow but you get my drift. Although this was a pure road bike, and 99% was on road, there were occassions where I had to take it onto dirt roads and, in these instances, adjusted my riding accordingly.

Now, back to the RT. I have had to ride on dirt roads on 2 occassions in the past 2 years and found it to be fairly managable although extra caution was required. However, I am advised that this is a no no. Now obviously I dont' want to compete with the GS or traverse rough roads but would like the convenience of riding on good dirt roads from time to time if the need arises.

I have just read the latest Biker Lifestyle (bought it for the R1200RT test - not the girl on the cover) and the tester commented that the bike was pretty solid on a minor dirt road.

Therefore, could I please have some advice on taking the RT onto dirt roads from those of you ladies and guys that have extensive riding experience on the advisility of taking the RT onto a dirt road and whether it is unmanagable or whether that is just a perception.

Regards to all who read this.
peterf
peterf
I have to post more . . .

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Lady In The Dirt Empty Re: Lady In The Dirt

Post by JR 7th August 2008, 14:50

but you ask some difficult questions......... Cool

as for your first post........daars nie baie los vlosse by die Club nie Wink and now this one

.........from those of you ladies and guys that have extensive riding experience on the advisility of taking the RT onto a dirt road....................

anything is of course possible but the RT is simply not built for off road. As opposed to a GS where a couple of scratches more in case of an off road oepsie (no, when an oepsie happens) will only let you look more macho at the next event, it is going to cost you at least R10k on the RT – and that is if the bike topples over from 0 to 20km/h.

Some things are just not meant to be………..

- at 260 kg (without luggage or rider) the bike is simply too heavy to manage on dirt unless you go very slow

- the design of the full fairings is as such that every small mishap is going to cost you money

- and, and, and

why not look at a good second hand 650 for those off road excursions.......or even better, get yourself the new F800GS as a second bike
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 7th August 2008, 15:17

I fully agree with Jamie here - even though the R1200RT can handle minor dirt roads to a lesser extent the bike was not designed for off roading. I can also take the LT on small stretches of dirt road - but doing so you are putting yourself at risk and your bike as well.

If you can rather keep the bike for long road trips and either buy the GS650 or GS800 as suggested. You, and your bike will both be much safer. You also have to consider the insurance issue here - will your underwriter pay out if the RT is damaged on an extended off-road trip.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 7th August 2008, 16:40

MadnohB wrote:Some things are just not meant to be………..

- at 260 kg (without luggage or rider) the bike is simply too heavy to manage on dirt unless you go very slow

A 1150 GS with full tank weighs 276kg without any load.

Can not believe it is heavier than an RT. In any case the weight is quite manageble on dirt even when you do go fast. Technical sections do however become interesting, but it is not too heavy to manage most obstacles.

The wheel travel of the GS helps with big bumps but most of the smaller high frequency stuff is taken care of by the tyres.

I have met a guy that lived on a farm in Botswana which could only be reached via a 100 km dirt road. He actually preferred his RT to a GS because of the long distance and the RT's comfort.

Most road bikes could ride dirt roads quite easily (Most roads in the 50's and 60's were dirt and done by "road bikes") but the riders are normally not comfortable with the loose surface and the possible damage to the bike due to vibration.

Brian Cannoo rode Sani pass with his RT no problem.

I would however not use a road bike for dirt roads on a constant basis as I believe to use the tool within its design parameters.

My 2c
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 7th August 2008, 16:50

There you have it, another point of view. What he did not say, is that he is an expert off road rider Cool .....don't think it will be so easy for the average Joe and by that I'm not implying that you are average.

Maybe my gravel experience with a road bike is a bit blurred. I tried it once with the K1200S and quickly learned to only feather the throttle instead of actually turning it......but it's also a relative heavy bike with 170bhp on tap and sport tyres that border on slicks Wink

As per BMW Motorrad SA here is the weight of the RT

Lady In The Dirt Dimens10
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear 7th August 2008, 17:56

MadnohB wrote:

anything is of course possible but the RT is simply not built for off road. As opposed to a GS where a couple of scratches more in case of an off road oepsie (no, when an oepsie happens) will only let you look more macho at the next event, it is going to cost you at least R10k on the RT – and that is if the bike topples over from 0 to 20km/h.

why not look at a good second hand 650 for those off road excursions.......or even better, get yourself the new F800GS as a second bike

Those oepsie's are dam expensive as i have learnt after mine 3 weeks ago !! The bike (F800ST) cost me +/- R85,500.00 and the damages to my bike R33,000.00 Exclamation Suspect
It is scary, that is for the right hand fairing upper and lower, mirror, handlebar, headlight and radiator confused affraid
Bear
Bear
Riding the skyways

Number of posts : 194
My bike : R1200RT (Sand Beige) & F800ST (Metalic Blue)
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by peterf 7th August 2008, 19:31

Hi Folks, thanks for all the sound advice and although the RT may have better comfort you are quire right in that it has better expenses if one should decide to convert from vertical to horizontal travel.

I will just have to wait until I can afford an "off-roader" but will in the meantime continue to enjoy the open roads.

regards
peterf
peterf

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down