BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

The use of Nom de Geurre's & Profile names on the web site

+9
Admin
steyngert
DaveS
Mud Pooh-bah
JR
Perske
KnopKop
GSlady
LeRoy Olivier
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The use of Nom de Geurre's & Profile names on the web site Empty The use of Nom de Geurre's & Profile names on the web site

Post by LeRoy Olivier 30th July 2008, 13:07

There is something that bothers me somewhat - and i see someone else has also touched on this in another posting/thread. Why do people us a name other than their own when posting on the forum.

I want to know who i am conversing with - albeit by way of these public posts. Perske - i can understand - Afrikaansversion of Danie's surname, or maybe it is Hermien's favorite fruit, MadnohB encompasses the 2nd and 3dr loves of Jamies life - Stienie obviously being the first - hope it is not to personal.

The gist hereof is - i dont know who sits behind the funny name and dont know with whom i am regularly conversing. One builds up friendships through these posts and you dont know who these friends are.

Can the users of these names not have their real identity added to their posting name on the forum - directly above their number of posts???????

Regards. LeRoy Shocked Shocked What a Face Question Question Question Question Question
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

The use of Nom de Geurre's & Profile names on the web site Empty Re: The use of Nom de Geurre's & Profile names on the web site

Post by GSlady 30th July 2008, 13:16

Nahh.. it would spoil the fun!
The use of nicknames is a tradition on forums, isn't it?

Try and see everyone on the forum as a friend, whether you know what he/she looks like or not.

We can rather start a topic where those who want, can tell where their nick came from.

Any other opinions?
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

The use of Nom de Geurre's & Profile names on the web site Empty Re: The use of Nom de Geurre's & Profile names on the web site

Post by KnopKop 30th July 2008, 13:36

I tend to agree with LeRoy on this one.

I joined the club in Jan2008 and have made very good friends with some of the GS riders in club, this was mostly because of the few riders that take part in the Sunday GS rides, and the Mozambique trip. These "GS guys" are obviously the people I spend time with at the club meeting too, because they are the only ones I know.

But now, on the forum, I have "met" a whole bunch of new friends, who I have never met or spoken to at a club evening. Lots of people on the forum, including myself, says "see you Friday-night at the club" - But how will I know who's who, and how will they know who I am. Some people you can make out from their photo's who they are like Jamie, Dave, Dot and Deon P.

I know that Dani has been asking for "headshots" of the members, and I think this will help a great deal.

Well, thats what I think .....
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Perske 30th July 2008, 13:50

Both of you, BMW and Sharkie have good reasoning here. I guess a mid way will be on updating the "muggshot" section.
Perske
Perske
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 113
My bike : 1200GSA
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 30th July 2008, 14:12

Make sure you read the new edition of the Spoke & Piston.
I took the liberty and use the back page for images of members . .
The newsletter will be on the website by Friday noon (to download/print) and available as hard copies at Friday night.

As soon as I have enough "headshots" I'll work on the member images on the webpage.
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 30th July 2008, 16:15

Nope, I dont' agree

If you visit your friends, then it's a different story but this is an open internet forum viewable by the whole world and BMW is correct, very traditional to a forum......more correctly, that's how it works......one of the benefits on offer by a faceless evironment.

Of course anyone is free to use a real name as a nick if he/she chooses.

Besides there is very often a story behind a nickname. It's nice........it keeps that mystical element Cool

LeRoy Olivier wrote:.......Can the users of these names not have their real identity added to their posting name on the forum - directly above their number of posts........

is that why your name always appears twice.......just to make absolutely sure we all know with whom we are communicating Wink
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 30th July 2008, 17:36

I like the mystery. sunny

Missiles invenientes semper potestatem viae habent.
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 30th July 2008, 17:47

pdekoker wrote:Missiles invenientes semper potestatem viae habent.

ken so bietjie Fanagalo maar hierdie is vir my..............wel Latyns silent
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 30th July 2008, 20:06

The profile that did use my name is dead - and 'gone away'. Sad

So using my name on this profile is out of the question! No
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 30th July 2008, 20:10

Incoming fire has the right of way... Very Happy

Nihil est-in vita priore ego imperator Romanus fui
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 234
My bike : R1200 GS Adventure
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 30th July 2008, 20:17

Emperor of Rome eh?

OK. No more foreign languages.

ADMIN will delete anything she can't understand . . . but please carry on with the high tech topics!

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 30th July 2008, 20:24

Actually - signing my name at the bottom of the post is a matter of old habits die hard. One always signs a letter when finishing off. Just never thought of it that my name is in any case on the posting profile. Henceforth will drop this courtesey. Regards.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 30th July 2008, 20:33

LeRoy Olivier wrote:Actually - signing my name at the bottom of the post is a matter of old habits die hard. One always signs a letter when finishing off. Just never thought of it that my name is in any case on the posting profile. Henceforth will drop this courtesey. Regards.LeRoy

Fixed!! Wink Very Happy
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 30th July 2008, 20:51

Cool Sometimes it is prudent to retain a modicum of anonymity when conversing with the WORLD ! If you don't believe me, Google Search any of your nom-de-guerres and it'll find every posting on every site using that name...and forum search engines will even list the actual text as well!

Seriously, one of the easiest places to find out identity information is from forum postings, Mix-it, etc. It's amazing what trusting people will post when they think that nobody's looking...when in reality, 3.27 Gazillion people are Google Searching "Piet Snot van Kakamas" for his home telephone number... affraid
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 30th July 2008, 20:56

At no point in time you are as anonymous as you think you are. Somewhere, somehow, someone that knows you is reading or watching.

Have learnt that the hard way.
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 30th July 2008, 21:21

...I'm watching you...! What a Face

You dare not misbehave on the 'web - there's just too many servers with too many backup copies...especially at your office!
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 30th July 2008, 21:27

I had the dubious privilege of having to let an employee go due to a serious charge. It involved me doing some digging into his computer and all the info our server stored. Without going into details - nothing is hidden to anyone in IT. Our IT gurus were even able to gain access to his web email accounts - those things we see as very anonymous!

Cool
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 30th July 2008, 21:39

Delete.
Empty refuse bin.
Optimise disc space.
Format.
Degauss.
Reformat.
....and it's still there...! affraid

Only way to secure your hard disc from data recovery is to drill a big hole in it ! cyclops
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 30th July 2008, 21:42

then seal it in a 25liter paint bin filled with concrete, paint it a bright pink, write in large yellow letters "DO NOT STEAL ME" all over it, then leave in your driveway.
That should about get rid of it
Twisted Evil
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 30th July 2008, 21:59

There must be a program that will calculate pi to unlimited decimal points and save that number onto the the hard disc to overwrite everything...? scratch
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 31st July 2008, 12:17

Seems Richard must change his profile name to "Big Brother"?????? Very Happy Question Question jocolor
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 31st July 2008, 12:51

steyngert wrote:Incoming fire has the right of way... Very Happy

Nihil est-in vita priore ego imperator Romanus fui

Which emperor were you?? Nero perhaps Wink

ADMIN should not discriminate against Latin lovers. Most girls like it when men speak foreiggnnn!!!

Semper sumus inexcremus set altus variat!!!
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 31st July 2008, 12:53

And I am mostly up to my neck in it...
Rolling Eyes
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by steyngert 31st July 2008, 12:56

not the latin lovers, I mean... Very Happy
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 31st July 2008, 13:07

Had me worried there?????? but then again there can be very sexy poppies that are also latin lovers. lol!
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next