BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Tire experts, I need you

4 posters

Go down

Tire experts, I need you Empty Tire experts, I need you

Post by Marnus 21st May 2009, 11:03

I have a burning desire to get a pair of knobbly tires for my 1200GS. I plan on fitting them before any major altercation with rough stuff, such as GS Challenges, Overland trips and our Sunday club rides (just kidding about the last one! tongue ). I can then take then swap them with my "road" tires when I'm back to commuting, Zwartkops track days, etc.

I'm currently running Metzeler Tourance tires in front and back, and I was wondering what to consider as a knobbly alternative:

1) Heidenau's?
2) Metzeler Karoo's?
3) Continental TKC 80's?
4) Other?

The Tourance tires made it up Sani pass, but I (I mean my clutch) would have appreciated better grip!

In the past I've seen all the GS Adventures factory fitted with the TKC80's, but more recently they are on the shop floor with Karoo's. I would also appreciate your opinion on where to buy, at what price, etc.

Fanks!
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Tire experts, I need you Empty Re: Tire experts, I need you

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 21st May 2009, 11:57

I am no expert but this is my humble opinion

Take the TKC's Very Happy

Proven reliability. You do not want troubles with tyres because you wanted to save a few hundred bucks Embarassed

Also check with BMW wheteher the specific tyre is approved for your bike. Otherwise you might loose your warranty affraid
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 22nd May 2009, 11:05

I let my fingers do the walking and I am happy to share my findings...

Continental TKC 80FrontRearTotal
Moskay'sR1556R2065R3621
BavarianR1560R2115R3675
Full ThrottleR1600R2150R3750

Metzeler KarooFrontRearTotal
Moskay'sR1193R1852R3045
BavarianR1194R1852R3046
Full ThrottleR1400R1800R3200

The general consensus is that it's either a TKC 80 or a Karoo-T, with the TKC 80 obviously having the benefit of a longer track record.

It was very pleasing to see that Bavarian is very competitive as far as tire pricing is concerned (likely because it's not BMW branded Wink )

So with pricing sorted, I would prefer that Bavarian fit my tires - especially because of the tire pressure sensors and that jazz.

Let me know your opinions on this!
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 22nd May 2009, 12:00

Thanks for the info Marnus!
I have no opinion on this (as I'm somewhat blonde in this regard) but will forward this to my technical supervisor!
He's also in line for knobblies on the 1200GS..
Knobblies a must for Country Trax?

Any reason why no Heidenau's on your list?
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 22nd May 2009, 13:42

Technical supervisor hey? That the guy with the heavy hand? Razz

I've seen enough pictures of Heidies delaminating, which could likely have been a bad batch, or poorly ridden in, or whatever. But at this point I trust them only as far as I can throw them and would not "feel" safe knowing they are the only thing between me and the tar/gravel. (Ok Drix, you can start breathing now... Rolling Eyes ). Don't get me wrong - they look very nice and they fill the gap between road & off-road tires nicely (much like the 800GS fills the gap between the 650 and the 1200!). They just need to earn a good reputation first before I'll place my life in their hands...

Knobblies for Country Trax? No, I don't think it's a requirement at all. The way I look at it is to have your bike configured for training as close as possible to the way in which you are using it. Training on a CRF is not money wasted at all, but the training is certainly more relevant when done on a GS if you are riding a GS.

I hardly EVER deflate my tires for off-road riding (except halfway up Sani pass!!!), because I've been training myself to become more comfortable handling gravel with harder tires, and in the same way I would be very comfortable doing Country Trax with my Metzeler Tourance tires. I'm considering fitting knobblies only because I plan to push myself into more technical terrain in future, and would prefer to train that way so long. I have dreams to go up north some time in the future Wink
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 25th May 2009, 21:28

Marnus wrote:Technical supervisor hey? That the guy with the heavy hand? Razz ...
lol that's the one!
Marnus wrote:.. I've seen enough pictures of Heidies delaminating, ...
yep.. will wait a while.
So: for good balance - financial and otherwise - we've decided on TKC's front and Anakees at the rear...
(he needs a birthday pressie anyway!)

Live your dream Marnus.. life is short. Smile
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 26th May 2009, 11:52

Marnus wrote:
I've seen enough pictures of Heidies delaminating, which could likely have been a bad batch, or poorly ridden in, or whatever. But at this point I trust them only as far as I can throw them and would not "feel" safe knowing they are the only thing between me and the tar/gravel. (Ok Drix, you can start breathing now... Rolling Eyes ).

Hehe, how did you know..? lol!

Knobblies for Country Trax? No, I don't think it's a requirement at all. The way I look at it is to have your bike configured for training as close as possible to the way in which you are using it.

Your theory makes sense, but the focus is on doing and mastering the exercises with confidence - which is less if you don't have knobblies. And because the exercises build on each other you have a cumulative degrading learning experience, sometimes falling short of those breakthrough moments.

It is more important to use the heavy GS, but you want the best grip possible.

My humble opinion.

Knobbly front and dual-sport back is great combo for general riding (as I'm doing), but for the course I would recommend knobblies all round. Trust me, you'll enjoy it once you've done it!

I hardly EVER deflate my tires for off-road riding (except halfway up Sani pass!!!), because I've been training myself to become more comfortable handling gravel with harder tires, and in the same way I would be very comfortable doing Country Trax with my Metzeler Tourance tires. I'm considering fitting knobblies only because I plan to push myself into more technical terrain in future, and would prefer to train that way so long. I have dreams to go up north some time in the future Wink

I'd like to have your opinion after the course - please debate it with Jan?

Karoo vs. TKC: On my Dakar I got 6,000k out of a rear Karoo and 9,000k out of a TKC - meaning the last 2,000k on both you've actually lost the knobbly effect. I would not put Karoos on a 1200 from a cost-effective point of view - the only place I found them better was in sand. And I would trust a TKC more around a corner on tar, but the Karoo is not bad. The Karoo is much louder, but then I have never selected tyres, and definitely not knobblies, for noise reasons!
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 26th May 2009, 16:09

Drix, good to see you back and posting. And thanks for your advice and point of view... And trust me, I'll be doing a lot of debating with Jan hehehehe
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down