BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Insurance Claim - What now?

+2
DaveS
KnopKop
6 posters

Go down

Insurance Claim - What now? Empty Insurance Claim - What now?

Post by KnopKop 24th April 2009, 14:51

Ok, so I had my crash, and they will not write-off the bike. The bike sustained damange of R24k.

I have NEVER claimed for anything, I have no idea what to do.

Here are the facts:

The guy that hit me acknowledged that it was his fault.
He has insurance.
I am insured with BMW insurance.
I do have a case number from the police.

I was thinking of doing the following:
I will inform my insurance of the accident and provide them with all the details
Then I will give the guy a call and send him the quote from Bavarian and the case number.
Is it possible for him to claim from his insurance to fix my bike?
Or must I claim from my insurance and get him to pay the excess?
I want to keep my claim-free record.

What to do ??????

Please help, baie dankie............
Very Happy Very Happy
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Insurance Claim - What now? Empty Re: Insurance Claim - What now?

Post by DaveS 24th April 2009, 15:14

Give your insurance the quote and complete the forms they require.

They will pay for repairs and claim from his insurance. You will have to pay the excess which is claimed back from his insurance.

Perhaps to short circuit the excess you can arrange for him to pay it.
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 24th April 2009, 15:18

The moment you contact BMW Insurance and report it and ask them to spend a penny, your claim-free is gone. Even if they get the money back from the other insurance. Speak to Petra at Bavarian about your options.
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 26th April 2009, 07:15

I just have something in the back of my mind that you have a maximum of 30 days to report an incident to your insurance if you want them to handle. Maybe just check that on your contract / of speak with Petra like Drix suggested.
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 11th May 2009, 13:00

Good news !!!!!

I did a 3rd Party claim from the oke that drove into me's Insurance (Auto & General), now everybody told me that I will never get a 3rd party claim from A&G, because they are full of crap and this and that, yadda, yadda, yadda.

So on Friday morning, I e-mailed them all the information, and this morning they phoned me telling me that my 3rd party claim has been approved and that they will pay out the full amount of R24,031.97 in this week.

Lekker.....

I am very impressed with their quick and hassle free service.

Now I must just get the bike fixed. Very Happy:D:D:D
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 11th May 2009, 13:30

Sharkie

You must consider yourself the most luckiest guy on earth. This doesn't happen easily.

But then, this is only for the damage on your bike. Sue this guy for pain and lyding. Even if it has to be a civil case. You also had extra expenses for transport and whatever. He was negligent and needs to pay! It might take a year or five to go the full circle but the law and justice is on your side. Don't be mr nice guy and just let go. You may suffer longterm consequences from this.

Then you also have to claim from the Road Accident Fund. Get whatever you can. It's your right and use it
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 11th May 2009, 13:39

tj wrote:

Then you also have to claim from the Road Accident Fund. Get whatever you can. It's your right and use it

One of my friends works for a law firm that deals with the RAF. He handles the claims side of things for the law firm. I spoke to him about claiming, but I will have no luck. The law changed last year and I am not unable to do my work. I can work fine, I was just inconvienced with regards to transport, not much else. He did say that I would have had a very sucessfull claim if the law did not change.

I am not sure of the details but I would need to prove that I cannot work, or that I lost 70% of my mobility, and that is not the case. And I am not gonna put in a fraudulent claim.....

I will decide if I will claim some of my medical expenses from him personally. I still regard myself as very lucky, the accident could have been much worse. I had assistance from the guy the whole time and I don't feel any reason to punish him. I am not a greedy person by heart. so I will still decide....

I am just very happy that they will pay for the bike !!!!!

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by DeonP 11th May 2009, 23:40

Good luck with the Road Accident Fund (RAF) !!!

I have previously mentioned on another post that I claimed in excess R150 000 from the RAF when a guy in an Audi "T-boned" me on my 1 month old K1200S ( 1000kms on the clock ).The result was that he broke my leg ( which is still not right today. )

After 3 years, I eventually got paid out R14 000 - big deal ! That included pain & suffering, loss of income, medical bills, future suffering etc,etc,etc .

I do believe that those who have done wrong, wrecklessly, need to pay for their mistakes. I was also told that once you have claimed from your insurance, you can no longer sue them.

I had a car accident end of last year where a woman drove into the back of my car ! She hit me full speed while I had stopped at a STOP street. It was clearly her fault. My car's damage was in excess of R90 000. Rear damaged from her impact, front damaged from me hitting the car in front of me.
Till then , I had been a loyal client of Glenrand MIB. I had NEVER claimed, EVER in 13 years. I lost my no-claim bonus, had to pay an excess and my premiums were increased due to the claim. The insurers call it a "knock-for-knock" policy where YOUR insurance and THEIR insurance BOTH take a knock. What a rubbish system ! The guilty party's insurance should pay the WHOLE claim !

Did I state that it wasn't my fault !
Did I also state that I had NEVER claimed in 13 years !!

After much screaming and shouting and threatening to cancel my insurance, my excess was returned to me, the premium was left as it was and my no-claim bonus was re-instated.

The lesson I have learnt from this experience, insurance is a necessary evil. Stand up for your rights and don't take crap from insurance companies. WE, after all, are the reason they are in business. So treat me with respect as your customer !

I also had a Neck Xray and was checked for "whip-lash" sothat it was documented should I develop problems later.

Oh, and the BEST part.When you try to trade in your car/bike, what is the first question they ask ?
"Has this vehicle ever been in an accident ?"
"Oh yes, sorry , we'll have to reduce the trade in value"
It's a lose lose situation. So YES, when someone causes an accident and it is their fault - make them pay !

OK, now I feel better. Here endeth the lesson !

DP
DeonP
DeonP
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 469
My bike : 1200GS ADVENTURE
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum