BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Roadies vs GS’s

+17
LeRoy Olivier
Mud Pooh-bah
JCM
tj
mario
Richard H
ChristoEngelbrecht
Corlia
wingman
GSlady
morpheus
DaveS
Marnus
dakardrix
Sias
JR
KnopKop
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Where do you fit in ??

Roadies vs GS’s Vote_lcap21%Roadies vs GS’s Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 7 ]
Roadies vs GS’s Vote_lcap36%Roadies vs GS’s Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 12 ]
Roadies vs GS’s Vote_lcap39%Roadies vs GS’s Vote_rcap 39% 
[ 13 ]
Roadies vs GS’s Vote_lcap3%Roadies vs GS’s Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 33

Roadies vs GS’s Empty Roadies vs GS’s

Post by KnopKop 20th April 2009, 11:04

So, with all the banter going around in all the wrong threads, taking the focus off all the great trip reports we have, I thought it best to start a new thread on this.

The point of this thread is to get the different views from all the different people here regarding Roadies vs GS’s all in one place.

Please keep the personal attacks out of this, and banter all you want.

Fire away !!!
(Don't just vote, add your comments as well please)

affraid
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Roadies vs GS’s Empty Re: Roadies vs GS’s

Post by JR 20th April 2009, 11:42

Respectful bantering is part of the club certainly since I have become a member and I’m sure it was there long before…….and it’s good and healthy. The “over the fence” chirping ads flavour to discussions, nothing wrong with that.

……and I’m bi……..

although at this moment hopelessly under qualified to be classified as “one (full fledge) of the dark side”. Think I’m addicted to the acceleration and handling sensations to be found on the black stuff. At this point in time it overshadows the fear for the gravel………but I’m working on that

I see us bi's make up 40%......at this early stage Laughing
JR
JR
The K-factor

Number of posts : 1164
My bike : K1300S, F800GS
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 20th April 2009, 12:12

I love both! Is that not the whole idea of the GS (Gelände/Straße)? It is not an offroad machine...
I do however believe that you are likely to reach more beautiful (secluded) places on gravel than on tar. And taking a (less traveled) gravel road gives me a real sense of adventure!

But on the other hand, nothing beats the feeling of just getting on that “open (tarred) road”! To me, these are two very different animals with very different and unique characteristics!

At the end of the day we all love motorcycles and the freedom and adventure it provides in our lives! And this is what brings us together. It doesn’t matter if you prefer tar or gravel, or if one feels the other the other is boring. Each of us has the freedom to choose either one, or both in that case!!!

Ride where you want to, how you want to, when you want to and for as long as you want to! How much closer to ultimate freedom can you get? I think not much… cheers albino cheers
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 20th April 2009, 12:24

Well, I think it is a matter of personal taste, and you simply can't convince someone else that their taste is 'wrong'.

You find the same between the road cyclists and the mountain bikers - a lot do both yet have their preferences. I find the mountain biker that tries road cycling is never overly surprised at the change, but the biggest positive surprise lies in the roadie trying the dirt. Most love it and we seem to go through seasons where you train hard for Argus and have a jol. But my experience doing both is that training on the road feels like work, whereas every mountain bike ride - training or racing - is a blast! That's me (and most of my buds, so yes I'm biased) Does it mean I think the roadies are wrong? Never, all I think is that in cycling it is safer away from the tar, but it is great to have a choice!

Now add an engine, and I can totally understand the thrill of a K1300S or the chill difference of an LT or a Harley. And THAT is what excites me personally about the GS lifestyle (and I'm not talking about the BMW lifestyle, different thing, not for me) - I can and do often just go for a road ride all by myself.

But I (my taste) prefer to ride tar at a speed that is not slow, but controlled and where I don't have to concentrate as much as on the gravel (and where it is safe I test the 200 boundary now and then) - and that is the S part in GS. Otherwise the tar is a means to get me to great gravel roads. That's for me, I don't expect anyone else to do the same, although it is awesome to share the joy!

We live in a country where I guess 80% of the roads are not tarred, why do I want to limit myself? But again, that's my taste and I think I was born with a preference for dirt - even in running I prefer mountain races. So nothing to debate, I can just tell you about the fun we have on a GS, riding where it is was made for.

Not to talk about adding geocaching (out in the country, not suburban) to the mix to spice it up with randomness and purpose.

I think it is about personalities and the danger of the virtual world. For example, if I haven't met Wingman on the Sani trip I might also have misinterpreted his comments as a bit harsh, but now that I know him he is a great and considerate guy that goes the extra 1,000 miles to help people. It's simply a combination of tactful communication and sensitivity that comes into play, both on the sender and the receiver's side.

The bottom line is, that is the world of the Internet, you have to accept to let go and think twice before posting/responding. In addition, to be a biker, there needs to be a tougher side to you than the average person in the street.

I guess the tougher okes and gals just ride the GS.... lol!
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 20th April 2009, 12:26

...sorry, I see Sias and I basically say the same thing - he and MadnohBi posted while I was still typing...
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 20th April 2009, 13:56

I'm having a difficult time posting on the forum out of fear that my contribution may be misconstrued or my intent misinterpreted - something like posting constipation, I guess...

I certainly don't want to start World War 3 because I don't like tar as much as I like gravel. But sticks and stones can break my bones... Come to think of it, that's exactly what I prefer! Give me sticks and stones, mud and sand, gravel and twee-spoor - anywhere less traveled and I'm a happy camper. I like tar to the extent that it gets me to the next gravel road (like Drix also mentioned)

I still feel that a mountain was made of an mole hill... come to think of it, I also like riding up mountains and over mole hills What a Face

Ag, I'm probably in some way making fun of a situation that got some people upset, but I'd rather make up with a beer at the next club meeting than walking on eggs the whole time (something I won't like doing with the GS, though!)

Last edited by Marnus on 20th April 2009, 13:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Alas! the spelling monster!!!)
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 20th April 2009, 14:03

Have been on road most of the time but am doing more dirt to get the skill levels up.

At the moment do not see as much scenery on dirt roads as I do on tar - because at the moment on dirt most of my focus is on getting used to the different feel of the bike and concentrating on doing things properly to keep the bike up - especially in the turns. Cool
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by morpheus 20th April 2009, 14:10

I started life riding offroad as very young chap of 7. Then when I got older it was all about fast bikes and drag races.

Then I realised like so many others, that with a road only SB or the like, I would only see 25% of this beautiful country. So gravel is for me. Tar roads are simply ways to get to the next piece of gravel.

When I had my CBR400, I did some gravel road riding with it. I used to take that bike everywhere. People thought I was crazy but I pretty much saw SA on that thing, putting on just on 100 000 kays on that little 400. Not too bad eh?

That reinforced the dirt bug but also kind of killed my excitement for trips. I am not a bragger and usually don't get involved in all the places I have been discussions. However, what I can say is we have a beautiful country and no matter your preference, don't limit yourself. If you are a roadie do a GS trip one day and if you are a GS'er, do a pure roadie trip.

Life is way too short to limit yourself.
Morpheus
morpheus
morpheus
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 117
My bike : 1200GS
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 20th April 2009, 14:19

I had a chat a while back with a KTM990 rider, no not JohnST Very Happy , who made a very valid point with regards to dirt vs tar.

He said that on a dirt road you know what is going to happen, you know that your bike will move around under you in sand, you know that you will slip and slide in mud, you will know that the rear will slide out in a turn, and you will, in time and with proper training and experience learn to handle these things like it is 2nd nature.

On tar however, the surface is more unpredictable, loose sand on the surface in a turn, diesel spill, wet patches, etc etc. True with time, training and experience you will learn to handle these as well.

My personal feeling is just that I am more in control of my surroundings, the road surface, and my bike when I am on dirt. I am uncomfortable on tar, especially in turns, I struggle in twisties - ask Jamie, and he has seen me!!!!

But, my girlfriend bought me vouchers for the Rider Academy at Zwartkops for my birthday, so I will be going on the Proficiency Course as soon as I am back on the bike.
Very Happy Very Happy
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 20th April 2009, 15:41

Marnus wrote:......Ag, I'm probably in some way making fun of a situation that got some people upset, but I'd rather make up with a beer at the next club meeting than walking on eggs the whole time (something I won't like doing with the GS, though!)

lol!

Come on……be fair now……

There is no such thing as walking on eggs…….never has been and take my word for it, there are very few – if any – hypersensitive readers/participants here in our playpen.

Be honest now, have you ever felt, or for that matter has anyone ever been offended by any of your posts……..to such a degree that they wish to speak up. If there were such cases, I missed them. Good spirit banter between roadies and GSers was there before our time and will continue after we are done.

However, certain do’s and don’ts remain…unwritten rules or forum etiquette if you like. One can not always speak the mind freely – not on a civilized joint like ours anyhow……even if you feel like doing so and the keyword is respect towards others. Sometimes just by changing the sentence order and by adding one or two emoticons, you can leave the same message but still deemed to be respectful.

I for one sincerely hope it will remain that way – mutual respect that is – as it is an environment in which I’m comfortable in

Hypothetically of course - some guys had the privilege to meet a certain poster and they understand the “humour” of the said. Others don’t know the person from Adam side. Now such poster came in on page 4 of a trip report constructed by peeps who thoroughly enjoyed such trip only to be told by the poster they are hallucinating and are actually experiencing an illusion……compare their trip to watching the fun happens all around them but in reality passes them by…….for good measure ending off by saying: join the dark side if you want to attract attention……no hint of humour….not even a suitable emoticon. I mean respect has never done any harm and by all means keep it humorous…….at the very least if you want to criticize or be disrespectful, get your own soap box

Expecting all the passionate contributors to the thread to keep quite and go their merry way…….don’t think so. When more than one upset person step forward, changing the tune in the 3rd reacting post by saying…..don’t get up tide it’s all banter……easy way out?

The irony of all this is, if your known to be the block’s “grapgat” you can probably get away with it but it remain a right that has to be earned.

Long and the short………

Over sensitive “suurgat” readers – don’t think so
Press the right buttons of passionate people by offending them – for sure you can expect a reaction
Personal attacks (or allow them) – en jy soek vir k@k
Allow the forum to “rafel uit” – you will attract a different profile customer

Last edited by MadnohB on 12th May 2009, 16:33; edited 1 time in total
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 20th April 2009, 16:02

Bedaar vriende, bedaar.

oops.. Smile
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman 20th April 2009, 16:06

Jiseeeeeeee!!!!, I wouldn't climb on that Iron-horse of yours today before taking a chill pill. affraid
wingman
wingman
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 20th April 2009, 16:20

Bi-guy, if you hijack one more thread I'll have to stick you for a beer next club evening. Oops, I started it, so you owe me a beer!!!! Twisted Evil Windhoek Lager, ice cold, please!

I love poking fun at roadies and I am so looking forward to the Zwartkop track day so you can rub my rafeld-uit GS nose in your tire tracks. I even want to go as far as to extend a friendly invitation to all the other ST / RT / GS (and EVEN LT!!!) riders to come join me for a lap or two affraid I may prefer to ride next to the track, but I'll make an exception! My akra is asking for some punishment pirat I'm upgrading my status to a ROOF-RYER!!!

Disclaimer: no egos were harmed during construction of this post

flower
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Corlia 20th April 2009, 17:10

Back to the thread....

I'm a "draadsitter"... Well sort of... To be honest, Sias and I started out on ONLY the tar roads, and we thoroughly enjoyed it (and still do from time to time) and met some GREAT CLUB MEMBERS!!!!
However, we have now started to get a bit more comfortable on the gravel roads (well Sias at least, I still close my eyes and pray affraid ), and we now really enjoy the thrill the dark-side brings and also have met some GREAT CLUB MEMBERS!!!
So honestly, I think what ever rocks your boat - go for it!!! We will still be doing both as both is nice in their own special way. There is a lot that the tar can offer that the gravel can't necessarily and vice versa!
I won't necessary classify myself as either a roadie or a GS'er, but rather as a motorbiking-fanatic! ... my 2c. Razz

As for the bantering, you guys are scaring me... pale ...and most probably potential future forum members.... No
Corlia
Corlia
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 335
My bike : Dakar 650 GS Pillion
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JR 20th April 2009, 17:40

Corlia wrote:Back to the thread....
it was actually the so-called bantering that led to the existance of this thread so technically we were never away from it Wink A skilful attempt of the Shark man to defuse a potential flammable situation

Corlia wrote:.....As for the bantering, you guys are scaring me.....
so sê ek ook mos or more specific what is allowed to be said under the cloak of bantering.....so very unnecessary......not even repeat forum traffic can justify it imo

Corlia wrote: ...and most probably potential future forum members....
by the looks of things not only future members Crying or Very sad
JR
JR
The K-factor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 20th April 2009, 19:05

Something to be aware of as well, the written word does not get the wit, sarcasm, joking etc across very well - hence the existance of smilies to use when posting to portray the meaning that was intended. Wink
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristoEngelbrecht 20th April 2009, 19:23

Yes, I am a roadie. I do tar and I do dirt. If it is a road, dirt or tar, I will go there.

I just do not do technical off road riding. With one leg nearly gone and the other not much better I try to take it easy.

Even the LT did a few dirt roads in its short life. Wink
ChristoEngelbrecht
ChristoEngelbrecht
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 59
My bike : K1200LT R1200GSA R100RS
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 20th April 2009, 19:52

ChristoEngelbrecht wrote:Yes, I am a roadie. I do tar and I do dirt. If it is a road, dirt or tar, I will go there.

I just do not do technical off road riding. With one leg nearly gone and the other not much better I try to take it easy.

Even the LT did a few dirt roads in its short life. Wink

Now that's the spirit! You must see Shangali ride with his one leg and all, especially on the road - scares me!! cheers
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 20th April 2009, 21:14

I ride roads. Tar roads, freeways, dirt roads and even 'tweespoor' tracks.
I'm not ready for the serious technical stuff yet - and when I am, I'll probably do it on a lighter machine than the R1200GS.

But for now, if it has got a road number, I'll ride it...! Cool
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by mario 20th April 2009, 23:29

I started riding on a farm on a scrambler and then spent most of my km on tar - with a GS550 Suzuki and a F650 Strada - commuting mosly, but also did Baviaanskloof with the F650. Having got the F800GS now, I'm slowly building skills...and hopefully will get to enjoy the scenery as I become a bit more competent. I would love to have 3 bikes - a twisty carver and a very light scrambler for the technical stuff, but hey, the F800GS does lead to way enough fun!
mario
mario
Supercharged
Supercharged

Number of posts : 71
Honda NXR125
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 21st April 2009, 08:57

MadnohB wrote:
Corlia wrote:Back to the thread....
it was actually the so-called bantering that led to the existance of this thread so technically we were never away from it Wink A skilful attempt of the Shark man to defuse a potential flammable situation

Presies.....

I did not like the fact that a brilliant ride report was spoiled with off the topic banter. I would not like it if one of my reports went south because of stuff that has nothinig to do with my ride or my report. We already had September 11, and that was bad enough....... Exclamation Exclamation

Very Happy

Oh yes, and a GS gives you the best of both worlds...... Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 21st April 2009, 09:22

"Roadies vs GS's"

No No please guys. Now I really feel offended by your terminology!!

In the wake of BMW's issues about our logo, etc I wonder if 'GS' isn't also a registered trademark and that we need to apply for permission to use the abbreviation whenever we want to use it??

And then you refer to 'Roadies'... Yes I am a Roadie but in the idiom of 'GS' I rather like the reference to RT vs GS.

OK OK Ha Ha Ha just joking somewhat. Holster your guns please.

On a more serious note I do feel that the use of GS is not entirely accurate as most GS-bikes today don't venture offroad ever. Wouldn't Roadies vs Muddies be more appropriate? I would refrain from using 'Sandies' as I understand GS stands for 'Geen Sand'!! Cool Laughing
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop 21st April 2009, 09:33

Tj, but then the K1300S must be "wateries"........

lol!
KnopKop
KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by JCM 21st April 2009, 11:35

Ek is ‘n relatief nuwe lid van hierdie klub en dis werklik tot my verbasing dat hierdie kunsmatig-geskepte “ons – hulle” Roadies versus GS groepering hoegenaamd bestaan/in stand gehou word. Dis so asof die een groep heimlik ‘n werklike behoefte koester om te dink hulle is so bietjie “beter” as die ander groep. Waarom? Is die oorkoepelende identiteit van die klub (BMW) uiteindelik dan nie tog maar belangriker as sub-identiteite (roadies vs GS) nie? As die hele saak ‘n gesellige gekorswel bly, is alles natuurlik in orde. Tog wil dit voorkom asof emosies hier en daar ‘n bietjie hoog wil loop.
So alles tesame laat die hele “dispuut” mens bietjie dink aan Sayre se “wet” wat lees dat "In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the stakes at issue." Hierdie aanname is destyds gepopulariseer deur Henry Kissenger wat na bewering (in ‘n ietwat ander verband) gese het “The infighting is so vicious because the stakes are so low."
I rest my case.
Groetnis.
JCM
JCM
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 154
My bike : R1200RT
[Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!]
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 21st April 2009, 13:34

HAHAHAHA JCM, nou praat jy... Cool

But there is nothing like a bit of difference to highlight our "sameness"!!! We are all equally passionate about motorbiking, albeit on different suspension settings...

Our forum just puked a little bit - all part of the growing process

Wink
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content