BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 17 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Which side of the road/Lane to ride...

+2
DaveS
Bear
6 posters

Go down

Which side of the road/Lane to ride... Empty Which side of the road/Lane to ride...

Post by Bear 27th August 2008, 16:04

Hi,

Which is the best side to ride, left hand side, middle or the right hand side of the left side ? What a Face
Bear
Bear
Riding the skyways

Number of posts : 194
My bike : R1200RT (Sand Beige) & F800ST (Metalic Blue)
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Which side of the road/Lane to ride... Empty Re: Which side of the road/Lane to ride...

Post by DaveS 27th August 2008, 17:11

Depends which lane I ride in - if in the RH lane on the freeway and there are barriers I tend to keep to the left of the lane.

Otherwise the RH side of lanes usually - when on my own. In a group, it depends which side the rider in front of me is riding.
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Which side of the road/Lane to ride... Empty Re: Which side of the road/Lane to ride...

Post by Richard H 27th August 2008, 20:06

I ride in the Left of the Right hand lane or the Right of the Left hand lane.
The difference is only about 1m... Rolling Eyes

On the open road, I like to ride Left of the left lane, so that nobody sneaks up on my left.
When leading a group, I tend to ride in this position as I can see the staggered rows behind me better.
Cool

I never ride in the MIDDLE of any lane - that is exactly where all the oil, diesel and other sundry road hazards are.
Tyres sweep the road surface somewhat and deposit bolts, nails, and other bits in the area they DON'T move through - the middle...! affraid

On the open road, if there are a lot of overloaded trucks, even the tar road may become rutted and corrugated.
That is the ONLY time I consider riding in the middle of a lane - and then only for as long as the ruts and corrugations persist.
If the road conditions permit, I prefer to pass on the right side...as long as it isn't rutted !
Suspect
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe 27th August 2008, 22:54

I avoid the middle for reasons RIchard gave. If roads are quiet, I ride wherever I have the most tar on both sides of me, i.e. space to swerve .. If it is busy traffic on the open road I tend to keep left as not to be too close to the middle when cars coming from the front overtakes etc
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 148
My bike : K1200S Indigo Blue
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre 27th August 2008, 23:31

I always try to leave enough space to avoid the rubbish in the middle but not enough for a car to think it can invade it. On the rural roads, however I find the middle better because the potholes tend to be on the sides and there are not too much diesel & oil in the middle Smile
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 334
My bike : R1200RT, R1100S, Yamaha TW200 (also want the new S1000RR!!)
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Henk 28th August 2008, 07:02

In towns I try and stay as close to the white line as possible safe(middle) I find a lot dogs and cats playing chicken in the roads and I can avoid them in any direction. I must ad that this is early mornings. In daytime same roads I will move more to the left but not in the middle. On highway I like the left lane around the rh side . I feel comfortable there And I can see people coming. When I see someone catching up, I will move to the left and give them enough space. Verry seldom it is cages mostky "winties" on 1200's Wink
Henk
Henk
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 205
My bike : F650GS
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down