BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Crash bobbins do their job...

+2
Marnus
DaveS
6 posters

Go down

Crash bobbins do their job... Empty Crash bobbins do their job...

Post by DaveS 10th March 2010, 22:21

http://www.visordown.com/product-news/crash-bungs-they-stopped-this-s1000rr-from-paying-the-price/9852.html

Hope they never have to do it for me!

Looks like other places also have their fair share of pedestrian problems!! Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Crash bobbins do their job... Empty Re: Crash bobbins do their job...

Post by Marnus 10th March 2010, 23:13

Ouch! I also hope you never get to use them...
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DeonP 11th March 2010, 07:51

I think they essential on your bike like crash bars on a GS !
Prevention always better !
DeonP
DeonP
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 469
My bike : 1200GS ADVENTURE
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 11th March 2010, 08:30

Dave - do you have it fitted to your bike????. In the 80's crashbars was standard on all superbikes. Later it was thought that said crashbards was the main cause for loss of limbs during accidents - hence it was removed - it however served the same puporse as these crash bobbins you now refer to.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 11th March 2010, 11:45

LeRoy Olivier wrote:Dave - do you have it fitted to your bike????. In the 80's crashbars was standard on all superbikes. Later it was thought that said crashbards was the main cause for loss of limbs during accidents - hence it was removed - it however served the same puporse as these crash bobbins you now refer to.

Yes - one of the first things fitted. On the ADV have the crash bars as protection - so the crash bobbins will hopefully help if the S100RR should fall off the side stand. Wink

Crash bobbins do their job... Bobbinsright

Crash bobbins do their job... Bobbinsleft
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 12th March 2010, 16:14

Those indicators look rather fragile in that position.
Have you priced the part...?

(Betcha it costs a packet...!) Rolling Eyes
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 12th March 2010, 23:55

Even if you put the led indicators on the bike they still vulnerable. Hopefully the bobbins will help for them too.

Guess it depends on whether the bike falls over sideways or with a forward motion. Wink
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 13th March 2010, 02:29

LeRoy Olivier wrote: In the 80's crashbars was standard on all superbikes. Later it was thought that said crashbars was the main cause for loss of limbs during accidents - hence it was removed - it however served the same purpose as these crash bobbins you now refer to.
study
This came from an ill-conceived response to doctors concerns about motorcyclists. In the early fifties, motorcycles had no crash-bars and there was a very high number of ankle injuries resulting from them being crushed between motor and road surface. (Riding boots with built-in steel ankle protection plates did not exist at this time!) Responding to orthopaedic advice, the regulatory authorities brought in the bars to reduce the number of ankle injuries.
scratch
The number of ankle injuries recorded were reduced dramatically. But the motorcycles were never designed for the crash-bars in the first place and so they were just attached on to 'wherever' - usually the rear shock mounting bolt and the foot-peg mounting point - by means of a generic bracket. Unfortunately, these ad hoc mounting brackets deformed easily in an accident and folded over the rider or pillion passenger's leg, crushing the tibia and fibula. Yes, there was a recorded reduction in ankle injuries - but they didn't measure the number of amputations resulting from below-knee injuries. These rose steeply until, in the late seventies, the crash-bar requirement was removed - again on orthodpaedic advice.

Similarly, the increased use of moto-cross boots has reduced the number of ankle and leg breaks in riders, but the knee injuries have increased accordingly - especially riders using the rigid plastic boot which restricts the body's own slight flex in the tibia and fibula. It is also seen in dramatically in skiers wearing rigid boots that clip into their skis. The rotation of a ski moves up from the ankle, becomes a rotation in the knee and the two ligaments holding the kneecap in position can tear off - resulting in a difficult and rather unsuccessful surgical repair.

(BTW - Built-in ankle protection in a fall has always been one of the reasons why I love the BMW Boxer motor...!) Very Happy

Interestingly too is the fact that the number of motorcycle accidents rises slightly when countries or states implement a helmet law.
(This is conveniently ignored by the legislators.) It is most noticeable where full-face helmets are required or encouraged for face protection and is believed to be due to the fact that motorcyclist loses one sense when wearing a helmet - hearing. This means, for example, that a rider cannot hear the sound of a cars engine as it moves to overtake. This only increases the need for riders to be more aware of what they see in their mirrors!

Lets be careful out there...! Cool
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 14th March 2010, 13:48

Uhm... so I should not listen to my iPod in transit?

And I really couldn't hear the manhole without the cover Crash bobbins do their job... Fresse
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 15th March 2010, 10:13

Richard H wrote:

Interestingly too is the fact that the number of motorcycle accidents rises slightly when countries or states implement a helmet law.
(This is conveniently ignored by the legislators.) It is most noticeable where full-face helmets are required or encouraged for face protection and is believed to be due to the fact that motorcyclist loses one sense when wearing a helmet - hearing. This means, for example, that a rider cannot hear the sound of a cars engine as it moves to overtake. This only increases the need for riders to be more aware of what they see in their mirrors!

Must say, I don't believe that for one bit! Sounds like propaganda wars and one-sided research. I believe we compensate for visibility and less hearing by our nature (as if hearing a car on the Ben Schoeman makes any difference - how do you hear a lane change?) I've seen how quickly I adapted to the Leatt Brace.

Anyway, anyone who honestly thinks you are better off without a helmet than with one probably doesn't deserve what should be inside the helmet.

My cousin was killed in the States, falling while negotiating a long bend (on-ramp or something) He was wearing a helmet, his passenger without a helmet survived. So that happens, but if you honestly take that statistic and interpret it wrongly without applying common sense, then I don't know...
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 15th March 2010, 12:04

Maybe the manhole cover was off - why you could not hear it?????
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 15th March 2010, 12:19

Very Happy Daardie mangat se deksels al weer! Jy kan hom net hoor as hy diep genoeg is om te 'echo'!

scratch
If I may propose something other than ATGATT - by way of experiment only, of course:
Take a ride on your bike wearing your full-face helmet.
Then put on a helmet that does NOT cover the ears - a la H-D riders*.
I think you will find your awareness of other traffic around you by way of sound surprising...!

(*For the same effect I could have suggested that you ride without a helmet - but that is illegal...!) Shocked
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down