BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway

+3
dakardrix
Blu82
tj
7 posters

Go down

PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Empty PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway

Post by tj 13th January 2010, 14:09

Trudie and I have booked for the one day course on Friday 22 January.

The are still places available.

Anybody would like to join? Book at wwww.bmwmotorrad.co.za
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Empty Re: PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway

Post by Blu82 13th January 2010, 15:43

Cost?
Blu82
Blu82
Fuel Injected
Fuel Injected

Number of posts : 11
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Empty Re: PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway

Post by dakardrix 13th January 2010, 16:37

Done, very worthwhile. Must still do the advanced one. Cost normally about R700.
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 13th January 2010, 17:00

R600.00 per person
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Daleen 14th January 2010, 11:12

If it was on a Saturday - definitely! Eish, die verlof is nou bietjie min! Crying or Very sad
Daleen
Daleen
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 157
My bike : Red F650GS.
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 14th January 2010, 11:21

Daleen wrote:If it was on a Saturday - definitely! Eish, die verlof is nou bietjie min! Crying or Very sad

Ja-nee... myne ook!!
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 19th January 2010, 15:00

tend to agree - have done a number of the club organised sessions - would have liked to attend and do this - one can never do enough training. Leave already allocated for the rest of the year.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 23rd January 2010, 17:05

So we left home at 07h30 for Zwartkops. We didn't know what time the course will start as the 'automated reply' service on Motorrad's system did not respond. Arriving at 08h05 we learnt that the starting time is 09h00...

... that left us with ample time for coffee, chatting and getting acquanted with the students as they arrived. We ended up 8 in total.

I forgot to ask what 'proficiency' means, being a Boer these difficult words sometimes have me at a loss. My father was so nice to leave me a Webster's dictionary/encyclopaedia (edition 1952) and there it is:"proficiency: degree of advancement in any branch of knowledge" and "proficient: throroughly qualified or skilled"!

Wow!

Now I am impressed... with myself and even more with Trudie! We passed the test and even received a certificate to show!

But why did I decide to attend?

My personal feeling was that I tended to grow into a comfort zone and that I know what I am doing. With a very fast bike lately more on the road than in the garage, I had to have my skills tested...

...and maybe come back to earth. PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Icon_twisted Not literally speaking though...

(We tend to loose signal sometimes and I get really p@@@@ed off when I try to upload and there is nothing... and all I wrote lost in the process. So I will upload often. As for not to loose anything, you know?!)

Last edited by tj on 23rd January 2010, 18:29; edited 1 time in total
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 23rd January 2010, 17:29

The lectures were just about an hour long and I loved it. Very informative and to the point. I could immediately realise this course is about you, your bike and the road underneath. Not the world/traffic around and that other stuff you learn of at the novice/refresher - just the three of you that are always (supposed to be) in contact, in harmony.

Chez is a star and his collegue Kersey just as proficient ( I learnt a new word PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Icon_biggrin ). Sommer Engels en Afrikaans deurmekaar.

Graphically we learnt how to approach and enter a turn. Nice to see from above (in plan) what happens when things go right... and wrong!

Then it was to a side tarred road for the practical instruction;
- How not to change an emergency stop into a panic stop. The use of the pedal/lever not to activate the ABS immediately
- How to swerve at speed round an obstacle/pothole/@$$hole in your way. Even when your left hand is holding your head upright! Also to swerve and GO immediately to get away from danger approaching from the rear.

All the above at speeds over 45km/h!

Lunchtime and what a serving! A few plates of snacks, samies, hot & cold meats. The number of students are usually limited to 20 bodies per day. This time we were 8 (did I say it before?), maybe because it was January and people have not awakened from their holiday hibernation yet. Apparently their throughput is lately more than 200 students per month. Well done. PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Icon_cheers

I prefer this type of course as there is always personal attention from the instructor. He see your mistake and take you through the correct steps immediately. Personal attention and in a very professional friendly manner.

(Upload time... Picture a bit later.)
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 23rd January 2010, 17:53

(Photobucket at 24% now so I just keep writing)

After lunch things warmed up and we started the really difficult stuff. Why is it that the most difficult procedures are sometimes at the slowest speeds?

Ja, I have it! Because one cannot rely on centrifical force (yaw) to keep one upright!

We are supposed to do a figure-8 where the 2 circles are each not larger than 5m! This sounds easy? Yes, it does... but you go try it in your street! Toe gaan doen dit laat ek sien!!! PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Icon_twisted

Moral of the story is to do a figure-8 with the bike's steering in full lock and changing from one direction to the other without paddle-foot! This happens in slower than idle speed where the engine revs are above 1000rpm, the clutch in friction mode (slipping!!), your foot operating the brake and your eye not supposed to leave the cener cone... Oh yes I forgot, one also have to remember to keep balance!!!

(Photobucket at 47% now)

None of the students could get it right the first time. I said none... that means me too OK! So we were all off to do some practice. I nearly dropped that nice GT twice trying to stay upright. Stupid actually... you tend to drop the bike when you are trying to stay upright PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Icon_razz PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Icon_rolleyes

The second time I tried I got it right!! PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Icon_cheers An amazing feeling when one succeeds to a new challenge. OK I won't apologise for feeling good and bragging a bit - that was really difficult!

Next exercise was to pull away slowwwwwly and immediately turn 90degree left/right, without paddle-foot, within 200mm from the pull-away. One guy went down and were helped up immediately by the instructors. Next time he got the hang of it - in both directions. Trudie an I passed first time.

(Photobucket at 73%. Really wasting my time here... So I 'm moving on)
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 23rd January 2010, 18:16

Track time!!!!!!

This is where we are putting into practice what we learnt earlier
- the bend
- the braking
- the swerve
- how to decrease speed without brakes and without downgearing
at speed with the instructors' eagle eyes on one, stopping you and explaining the drill again, and again, and again... untill one gets it right.

In all (as per the GPS that was switched on all the time) 115km in an area of 3.1 sq km over time of 5h 57min 41sec!

(Photobucket at 91%. I have some time left, so just keep writing)

So, what did I learn this day?

1. I am not good enough. At least not as good as I thought I was PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Icon_mad
2. No matter how many kms one covers (and I do a lot) there are some intelligence one NEVER picks up. One needs to be taught!

3. My comfort zone diminished in thin air after this course

and...

I am much more proficient than before, and realising there is still a lot to learn...

What a day! For both of us... and our certs are proof!

(Ah Photobucket is complete, at last)

Trudie and her beloved mug'coffee before the start... No rooiwyn this time!

PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway IMG_0858

Posing before the start. Lekker windgat and not knowing what is coming...

PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway IMG_0859

PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway IMG_0861

Trudie and her figure-8
PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway IMG_0867

The Marauder just after the spill

PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway IMG_0868

Trudie on the 90deg turn - Oops. There's a paw sticking out! Next one flawless. Check that grin! What a girl...

PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway IMG_0869
PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway IMG_0872

Trudie on her second figure-8 - Flawless! Again!!

PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway IMG_0874
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 23rd January 2010, 18:37

What a nice read. I will seriously consider going some time in future.

Well done Johan & Trudie - it's awesome to overcome challenges like those one a big bike.

PS - Trudie - these type of turns and figure-8's are MUCH easier on a GS... because you get to stand when you do it PROFICIENCY COURSE 22 Jan - Zwartkops Raceway Icon_biggrin

Well done and thanks for sharing
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 23rd January 2010, 19:41

Very lekker - thanks!!
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 24th January 2010, 12:44

Nice! Sien julle het nie vir James gehad as instrukteur nie. Interessante kêrel...
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 24th January 2010, 14:43

Ons het ons Novice (Trudie) en Refresher (Ek) by James gedoen.

Sedertdien het hy afgetree. Soos jy sê, 'interessante kêrel'

Moet sê die jong manne tans is beslis proficient
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Daleen 24th January 2010, 14:55

Thanks for the feedback! Chez is a very good instructor; I have done three courses with him already and my confidence grows every time! bounce This is the next course Martin and I want to do. We are planning to go on a Saturday. Maybe some other club members would like to join us?
Daleen
Daleen
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 157
My bike : Red F650GS.
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down