BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Badplaas 2009

+9
Daleen
Andre Henrico
Sias
GSing
GSlady
Marnus
tj
DaveS
LeRoy Olivier
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Badplaas 2009 Empty Badplaas 2009

Post by LeRoy Olivier 1st November 2009, 19:50

Waars almal. Busy downloading the photos to FB - drag and drop from there to Forum
Andre and Elsabe - on the way to Friday Dinner:
IMG_0005

Sharing a good bottle of wine dating from the year we metIMG_0008

Saturday Morning en route to Barberton - stopping for the rainsuits
IMG_0011

Elize & Andre & Elsabe - all suited up
IMG_0012

Crista & Peet, Kobus & Linda, Alun, Faan
IMG_0014

Alun, Faan, Lauritz & Sheilagh, Johan & Marisabel
IMG_0015

Andre & Elize - Saddle Back Pass
IMG_0016

The 2 loves of my life - Elsabe & LT - Saddle Back Pass
IMG_0022

Johan & Marisabel - Saddleback Pass
IMG_0029

The top of Saddle Back Pass towards Barberton
IMG_0030

The top of Saddleback Pass towards Nelspruit
IMG_0034

Faan and Alun in the background - Saddle Back Pass
IMG_0035

Elsabe & LT with Barberton in the background (SBP)
IMG_0036

Andre & Elize & RT & Barberton in the background (SBP)
IMG_0037

Heading down SBP
IMG_0038

Andre & Elize - Kaapse Hoop at the Pancake Place
IMG_0051

Elsabe - Kaapse Hoop at the Pancake Place
IMG_0052

Christa at Kaapse Hoop at the Pan Cakeplace
IMG_0053

Andre & Elize, Elsabe, Alun, Christa & Peet, Linda & Kobus, Faan, Marisabel & Johan - Pancake Place - Kaapse Hoop
IMG_0054

Laurits & Sheilagh - Kaapse Hoop - Pancake Place
IMG_0056

Kaapse Hoop - Pancake Place
IMG_0061

Saturday Evening - just after Sundown at the Boslapa - Badplaas
IMG_0072

Peace and tranquility - Badplaas
IMG_0076

Boslapa - Badplaas
IMG_0078

Inside of the Boslapa
IMG_0086

Wine - the nectar of the gods
IMG_0088

Last edited by LeRoy Olivier on 5th November 2009, 21:05; edited 5 times in total
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Badplaas 2009 Empty Re: Badplaas 2009

Post by DaveS 1st November 2009, 19:53

So where your pics??? Hey?? Rolling Eyes

...thats cheating - you sneaked them in after my post!! Twisted Evil

Last edited by DaveS on 5th November 2009, 22:09; edited 3 times in total
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 1st November 2009, 20:59

Here a few pics

Saturday morning ride just before we turned off onto the road to Komati Nickel mine.
Badplaas 2009 P1060934

On this road at an altitude of 2 032m asl the mist closed in and the temperature was at a fresh 10.5 deg C.
Badplaas 2009 P1060942

Stopped the mine entrance where the dirt road began
Badplaas 2009 P1060946

...and then rode the same road back to the turnoff where we turned right and carried on to Machadorp for brunch.

Stopped at the Old Mill Hotel.
Badplaas 2009 P1060957

It was bought as a dilaped mill about 3 years ago by Harry ('arry) and renovated to what it is today. Has 7 spacious rooms and is very clean. All the wooden furniture is either oregan pine or cedar and is wood that was part of the structure of the mill.

The headboards of the beds, desks in the room, cupboards etc were all made personally by 'Arry who does woodwork as a hobby.

All the building work was also done by him.

I don't have a picture of him but I know someone will post a picture soon.

Some of us on the way to the Bushlapa
Badplaas 2009 P1060973

Badplaas 2009 P1060975

Elsabe and Leroy strutting their stuff on the dancefloor
Badplaas 2009 P1060992

Badplaas 2009 P1060993

Dorothy and Trudi continuing with their 'teambuilding'
Badplaas 2009 P1060996
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 1st November 2009, 23:13

From a biased ‘S’ rider

We were early at Atterbury Shell and enjoyed a snack at Dros while waiting for other members to pitch. At that time Trudie and I had no idea who will be joining us on the ride to Badplaas.

Then came

Willie Nel,

Isac,

Frik van Staden,

Peet & Christa

Six bikes in all showing a leg stretcher just past vanDyksdrif.

Badplaas 2009 1BeforeHendrina

We had to don rain suits on the way for a short downpour before Carolina – all in the line of riding.

Arriving at the Hotel Trudie and I were quite pleased with our booking in a chalet as we heard the Hotel has no potable water available in the rooms. What is available is brown and not pleasant. Only an apology from their side. Nothing else – not very professional!

After unpacking in our chalet we were back very quick to mix with the other members in the ladies bar. A good time as always.

The dinner was served in the Bikini Bar near the cold pools area. No bikinis evident though. Quite a walk from where we were lodging but nevertheless a pleasant experience.

Badplaas 2009 Bikini1

Badplaas 2009 Bikini2

We enjoyed drinks at the bar and then moved in to the dining area where our meals were available a la buffet. Enough for everybody present, except for the ice cream that was replenished very quickly.

For drinks each had to go back around the corner to the bar for fills and refills. This proved to be too time consuming and I succeeded in buying a 5L carton of red – in folk language known as ‘dooswyn’ – cannot understand why people always regard you different when pitching in the dining area with a ‘doos’ on hand…

The 5L did not last the night. By 10h00 al patrons were ushered out the dining/bar area by the staff wanting to lock up. We had to down our drinks in a hurry and leave not to be removed with force. Not very professional again… Where are the bar laws of this country where patrons can not be removed while still enjoying their drinks? Even long after ‘last round?

Next morning after breakfast some 8 bikes took the ride to Machadodorp via Nkomati Nickel Mine – a dream of a twister.

The Old Mill as owned/managed by ‘Arry is worth a visit and possibly an overnighTer.

The two ‘hot chicks’ in the entrance are not to be taken on without gloves…

Badplaas 2009 3Hotchicks

'Arry is the gent on the left

Badplaas 2009 ArryLeft

The plasma was tuned to the Grand Prix qualifying and all had an interest – while Jamie and Wahl couldn’t resist the itch and went for a scratch in Sabie, some 150km further. We met up again with them later at Badplaas.

Ready for the official YEF dinner.

The dinner was served after the Currie Cup final which we really enjoyed – that is the Bulls supporters, of course!! BULLE BO!!!!!!!!

When about a third of the patrons still in line to be served at the buffet, the table ran out of meat (beef). They could not stand longer and carried on without a moan, substituting the beef with gravy, until that was depleted too. Up to tonight, no apology or new meat dishes were provided – again, not very professional!

During the prize giving the following were handed out by our mr Chair Man Richard; (please forgive me if I miss out one or two – wasn’t up to standard anymore at that stage – the Bulls won the Cup you see?)

- Jamie The Soapie award

- Trudie Her commitment to the Woman’s Day ride in August

- Trudie & Dot For team building? How many in their team??

- Dave Wheelie award for doing the perfect somersault at C Trax

- Corlia Pillion of the Year

- Marius *Censored*

- Alun Tiller of the Year

- Richard ‘Elephant Memory’

We enjoyed ourselves;

Ag Sies Dave

Badplaas 2009 SiesDave

Dis beter...

Badplaas 2009 SiesDave2

Then we all waited upon the game viewing vehicle to transport us back to our chalets. A good night by all amongst wonderful friends.

Sunday morning only four riders decided to take on the long road back home via Nelspruit and KaapseHoop. You missed out!

The road to Kaapse Hoop are just passes and sweeps. The pass before Nelspruit was rebuilt recently and is stunning. Have to go back there.

And then there is Kaapse Hoop – The next Clarens in the making! What a place this is…. The wild horses I heard of so many times are in fact tame and loitering in the streets with everybody enjoying them. One mare gave birth the day before and the filly is still in the top-heavy mode – to beautiful not to appreciate.

Badplaas 2009 Colt

Frik mentioned he heard the horses move closer to the Vet’s residence when they feel sick? Wow, this is just unbelievable… But then, why did the wild mare give birth on the pavement in town next to the main road leading into town??

Our planned route then took us on another sweeping road to the N4 at Ngodwana. Arriving there I saw a black line on the GPS screen crossing the N4 and looked like a tarred road joining up further. Unanimous decision was to carry on on this unknown route…

What a road. All tarred as far as we go, climbing from 1000m to over 1950m on the mountain top through pine plantations, sweeps to dream about – on tar!

Badplaas 2009 Road1

at 1950m

Badplaas 2009 Road2

Badplaas 2009 Road3

Badplaas 2009 YEF2009043

Up to a point… The tar suddenly stopped after about 60km of endless passes and we had to make a decision; turning around or pushing on, on the gravel? The GPS telling us another about 17km as the crow fly to the T-junction at the main road.

First Frik said the LT is not really happy on gravel, Willie was happy to take on the gravel, Trudie was very quiet but wouldn’t turn around alone, and I wanted to take on the gravel.

We all then pushed on… at a speed starting at about 25km/h and gradually moving up to over 40.

My Bluetooth comms with Trudie became very quiet... Not a word from her. When I enquired about her wellbeing all she said she’s OK. Well as OK as that OK sounded, not very convincing. She riding second, Frik third and Willie (used to gravel with his R-ST) at sweep.

Ten minutes later I heard Trudie referring to the view in the valley to the right and I knew… She has overcome herself and her fear, she’s starting to enjoy the ride – and I started to relax

The road was hard and reasonably smooth with the occasional wash-away by recent downpours. All we needed to do was keep the momentum, relax the arms and let the bike do its own thing. This was starting to become a pleasant ride and it was time for a Kodak moment.

While I was setting up the camera for a timed shot Trudie mentioned she might have to get a GS again. Frik replied she shouldn’t as the ST fits her like a glove – even he was relaxed now on the LT.

Badplaas 2009 Gravel1

After the picture taking we started to go down the other side of the mountain and in the distance we saw what we didn’t want to see – a downpour, right in our path…

This we can do without as the road condition was starting to deteriorate and any wet will cause a slip – or spill…

What will be first, the rain or the T at tarred main road? Some 4.5km further as per the GPS?

I stopped again for a picture while they passed, with the rain on the horizon…

Badplaas 2009 Gravel2

Then the T-junction with the N4!

Badplaas 2009 Tar

Dirty rims - ST

Badplaas 2009 DirtyVet

Dirty rims - GT

Badplaas 2009 DirtyNet

We had 5mins to don our rain-suits when it started to rain, just as we pulled off.

What an experience!! And what did they say?

Willie: “A wonderful road!”

Frik: “The LT handled like a scrambler!”

Trudie: “We must do it again!”

What a girl she is…

And what friends we have in this club!

A splendid weekend!
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 2nd November 2009, 00:23

Awww... pity I missed it. And it's awesome to see that the S's on the gravel is becoming a common occurrence - nothing unprofessional about your "skillz" Very Happy
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 2nd November 2009, 08:50

Sooper Doopers!
Now that's great tj!
(I'll post my two pictures soon.)
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 2nd November 2009, 09:29

Is it just me who cannot see Leroy's pictures and some of Johan's?

I have logged in on two different computers today and get the same result? confused
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 2nd November 2009, 09:47

Neither can I. Maybe he has put a restriction to his pics? Badplaas 2009 Icon_twisted
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 2nd November 2009, 10:09

tj wrote:Neither can I. Maybe he has put a restriction to his pics? Badplaas 2009 Icon_twisted

Can't see some of yours either - don't download at all?? confused
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by GSing 2nd November 2009, 10:53

TJ, ek kan ook nou opgewonde raak soos julle oor die stof en modder op julle fietse........ Jy sal my nie glo nie, maar ek sit nou en "polish" nat teer vanaf my fiets, ek moes seker iewers op die teerpad gery het. HEHEHEHEHE!!!
GSing
GSing
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-03-03

http://www.gps4africa.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by GSlady 2nd November 2009, 11:30

DaveS wrote:... Is it just me who cannot see Leroy's pictures and some of Johan's?
Yep same here - maybe LeRoy must drag n drop again?

Here another word or two from me - hope you can see the pics! bounce

It was an eventful hour before we finally got on the way:
Marius's 1200's battery died on him just as we were packed and ready to go for Atterbury Shell.
All pushing and kick start attempts failed but Bavarian East immediately came to the rescue and brought an emergency battery right to our house!
Super service - Thanks Simon and Sam!
In the mean time I joined Colin at Atterbury Shell (who was there right on time 30mins prior to departure time)
and we waited.. and had a cappucino.. and waited.
Then Pieter & Zonica arrived - with some work still to do to his GPS. He politely asked if he can use the 800's seat as a working bench - (ai what you would do for friends!)
And then Andre arrived .. who also needed to take out some tools for making final adjustments.
Badplaas 2009 YEFBadplaasGSstart
Marius joined us at Simon Vermooten just as we passed the off ramp and off we went on the old Bronkhorstspruit Road, via Cullinan where the tar eventually turned into gravel. With last week's rain it was a dust free ride with smiles all over!
Pieter’s route took us on lovely gravel roads via Loskop dam – with thick clouds watching over us …
Badplaas 2009 YEFBadplaas035

.. and then we took a pothole road with a bit of tar on it - it was easier to take the dirt alongside of the road!
No pics.
We crossed the N4 and met the first club members - Johan & Marisabel Strauss - in Carolina.
Pauli & Joy also joined in and we decided to continue on tar to Badplaas.

The rest of the afternoon was spent around the hotel, welcoming members and friends, making small talk here and there and realising we all share the same passion! (Bikes that is!)

GS outride on Saturday:
The twisties on the way to Komati mine were great - knobblies not the ideal tyre for that though.
Once in the mine area, we got a bit lost. The GPS says 'Road ahead' - but someone has built a mountain right across the road!
Andre did a recce to the left and Pieter tried to see if we can go around to the right - and I was praying.
The mud up to that point was do-able, but it only spelt disaster!
Finally two gentlemen of the mine stopped next to us and informed us that there are now fences and we have to turn around.
They showed us the way out of there and directed us to Kaapse Hoop.
Through plantations, up and down passes, here and there puddles - all in all the perfect way to spend time on your GS.

Gravel highway through Celtis Pass came up and we took a rest:
Badplaas 2009 YEFBadplaas042

Five up to Sias who took on the GS ride with sore and swollen ankles after his incident earlier the week!
Talking about passion! cheers

We had a quick beer & brunch in Kaapse Hoop and then continue on gravel to Barberton where 5 bikes continue the outride and 4 bikes decided to return to Badplaas in order to have some time in the hot water before the Bulls game and the evening's function.

Our Back-up couple, Adriaan & Allie arrived with the second group at the Boslapa.
Badplaas 2009 YEFBadplaasAdriaanAllie

Funny to see the familiar faces in a vehicle driven by someone else...
Badplaas 2009 YEFBadplaasaankoms

I wasn't too active with my camera - but that doesn't say it wasn't a great weekend:
Great rides & good friends - Thanks to everyone!

Ag, wat sal ons hieroor sê: Friends for ever!
Badplaas 2009 YEFBadplaascheetahbull
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias 2nd November 2009, 14:55

Thank you all for posting pictures and thanks to all for being part of a great weekend. clown
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre Henrico 2nd November 2009, 16:50

Gs group on the road to Loskopdam
Badplaas 2009 30102012

Badplaas 2009 30102013

Badplaas 2009 30102014

Enjoy the friendship and a few drinks on arrival at Badplaas.

Badplaas 2009 30102015

Gs ride on road from the mine

Badplaas 2009 31102010

Badplaas 2009 31102011

On the way to the ghost town

Badplaas 2009 31102012

Badplaas 2009 31102013

Badplaas 2009 31102014

Badplaas 2009 31102015

Badplaas 2009 31102016

Badplaas 2009 31102017

Thx for another nice ride.
Andre Henrico
Andre Henrico
I have to post more . . .

Number of posts : 4
My bike : HP2, 1200 GT, CRF250X
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre Henrico 2nd November 2009, 17:35

Need to go back to the Mine area, look at the surrounding play ground!

Badplaas 2009 Yef_gs10
Andre Henrico
Andre Henrico

Number of posts : 4
My bike : HP2, 1200 GT, CRF250X
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnus 2nd November 2009, 17:38

Wow... nice pictures.

Hmmm.... that HP2 is looking very, very nice!
Marnus
Marnus
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 936
My bike : R1200GSA / G450X / YZ450F
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Daleen 2nd November 2009, 18:17

I am so sorry we missed it! It looks like you all had a great time! Will definitely join in next year.
Daleen
Daleen
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 157
My bike : Red F650GS.
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 2nd November 2009, 21:12

Looks like the GS guys really visited a ghost town!! Shocked

No pictures - probably because they couldn't see it! Wink Laughing
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 3rd November 2009, 18:55

Members, please give me feedback on the YEF - positive or negative - so we can learn lessons for next year.
I stayed in the hotel and would like to hear from members who stayed in the bungalows and chalets.
PM me at Richard@bmwclubs.co.za if you want to remain an onimouse...

Smile
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S

Back to top Go down

Post by JohanGT 3rd November 2009, 21:25

We had a nice chat with Marius and Dani. Ina and I were one of those that stayed in the hotel where we sometimes did not have water. But this was a small price to pay if we take the following in consideration:
- The fantastic rides around Badplaas
- The great indoor pools
- The various shops - even more than one coffee shop where you could get REAL coffee
The only real issue was the terrible smell of old cigarette smoke which you find in many hotels, not just Badplaas.
Thank you very much for an enjoyable week-end of rides and rest. Very Happy
JohanGT
JohanGT
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 246
My bike : K1200GT
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://www.maartenspro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 5th November 2009, 21:09

For all those that have been waiting patiently for new pictures to be submitted - have just uploaded mine on the first page - opening post.

With regards to feedback - chalets were nice, more than enough hot water. Was glad we did not have to do breakfast at a set time in the hotel - had rusks and coffee to fill the gap - hence we were quite hungry by the time we got to Kaapse Hoop.

Could thus do justice to their humungous pancakes - even the small ones are above average.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 6th November 2009, 17:05

Richard H wrote:Members, please give me feedback on the YEF - positive or negative - so we can learn lessons for next year.
I stayed in the hotel and would like to hear from members who stayed in the bungalows and chalets.
PM me at Richard@bmwclubs.co.za if you want to remain an onimouse...

Smile

1.Musty, damp smelling hotel room. Leaking washbasin causing a lake on the bathroom floor. Moved to the only available chalet - chalet was good but needs some touch up.
2. Friday night bar service shortage of some drinks, dinner was fine but a bit slow with replenishing food that had been finished before all could dish up. Literally kicked us out of the venue at 10pm.
3. Saturday night at Boslapa - shoddy bar service - no glasses when we arrived, no cold beers, no wine etc. The barman was the same one as for the Friday night. Would have expected that they knew our requirements from Friday and planned accordingly. Wine was an issue Friday night as well.
4. Food problem same as for Friday - could not refill what was finished in time for others to dish up - definitive lack of planning/ability on the catering side.

But then it is the company that makes an occassion memorable and that was good - except for the Bulls supporters that is! Wink Razz
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 6th November 2009, 17:08

LeRoy Olivier wrote: Was glad we did not have to do breakfast at a set time in the hotel

Breakfast hours were from 7am - 10am. Not exactly a 'set time'? Surprised
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by LeRoy Olivier 6th November 2009, 17:19

True - al the same - by the time we got to Kaapse Hoop we could do justice to those pancakes.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS 6th November 2009, 17:24

LeRoy Olivier wrote:True - al the same - by the time we got to Kaapse Hoop we could do justice to those pancakes.

I'm sure! Wink
DaveS
DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 7th November 2009, 20:42

Thank you for reports, pictures and feedback regarding the Year-end Function at Badplaas - a highlight on our Club's calendar.
Irrelevant posts have been removed.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://www.bmwclubs.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next