Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

Let's talk music

Go down

Let's talk music Empty Let's talk music

Post by Andre on 29th August 2008, 08:41

Let's share some views on our music tastes, our favourate bands and anything that makes life a song Exclamation I'll give a brief intro of mine:
As a 50's kid, I grew up with LM radio (David Davies) on Shortwave 92. It was of course not allowed by my parents so I used to listen to the LM Radio Hit Parade on a Sunday evening under the blankets in my room with a torch Twisted Evil I remember David Davies was suspended for a few weeks for saying on radio "Ladies, if you want babies, use David Davies". We were so conservative in those days Embarassed
Anyway, I developed a wide music taste but as a "baby boomer" from the hippy era, I have a soft spot for Rock & Pop, and later on some heavy Metal Wink Some of my favourite bands are:
Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Queen, Judas Priest, Bad Company, Santana, Black Sabbath, The Who, Uriah Heep, CCR, BeeGees, Beach Boys, Beetles, Rolling Stones, The Monkeys....The list can go on and on. And if you are old enough you may remember our very own SA Pop bands & singers like Mcully Workshop, Three Jacks & a Jill, Gene Rockwell, Omega Ltd, The Staccatos, Des & Dawn Lindberg, Rabbit, The Flames..... Woh, we had some great talent cheers
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 334
My bike : R1200RT, R1100S, Yamaha TW200 (also want the new S1000RR!!)
Registration date : 2008-07-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Let's talk music Empty Re: Let's talk music

Post by steyngert on 29th August 2008, 10:55

Depending on the mood that I am in (or the type of terrain I ride), I listen to different types of music. On those lekker long, laid back trips, I listen to Kris Kristofferson, Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash, Loreena McKennitt, Neil Diamond, Nana Mouskouri , Crowded House, Collective Soul, REM, Joan Baez, Roger Whittaker

When I do offroading, I listen to Metallica, Rammstein, Lordi, ACDC, Guns n Roses, Sisters of Mercy, Within Temptation, Alice Cooper, Type O Negative.
steyngert
steyngert
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 234
My bike : R1200 GS Adventure
Registration date : 2008-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KnopKop on 29th August 2008, 11:56

I will only listen to music on the bike when I do long trips/stretches on tar roads.

I NEVER listen to music on the bike when:
i) I ride to work on the Ben Schoeman
ii) I ride off-road

I find that the music distracts me when I do the latter, but on the open road it does not bother me at all.

My music taste is VERY wide and varied, I like most stuff. But my favourite bands are:

International:
R.E.M.
Collective Soul
Metallica
AC/DC
Live
Linkin Park
James

Local:
SEETHER!!!!!
Klopjag
Fokofpolisiekar
A-King
Flat Stanley
Springbok Nude Girls

KnopKop
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 823
My bike : 2008 BMW X-Challenge

Registration date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony R on 29th August 2008, 17:43

Have to say that being a tad younger than Andre I share his taste in music. John Berks was the other famous DJ on LM radio. I was a sparker (radio man) in the S A Navy during the years of compulsory conscription and remember hooking headphones to the system that we were supposed to monitor incoming messages on and listening to LM Lorenco Marques Radio during the long and boring nightshift.

Tony R
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 225
My bike : Sadly no bike. Finances forced the sale of my Tigger.
Registration date : 2008-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H on 29th August 2008, 20:34

Tony R wrote:I was a sparker (radio man) in the S A Navy during the years of compulsory conscription...

When did you go to Signal School? I was a bunter (flags) in '72...

Some years ago, my son (then in Matric) was listening to some music that was very familiar.
"Dad! You must listen to this terrific CD I came across - it is a really hot band called 'Grand Funk Railroad'..."

He just couldn't believe it when I opened the old hi-fi cabinet and took out the album "Caught in the Act"...on original vinyl !

In addition to the above, I remember such other greats as Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull, Strawbs, Cream...
Rolling Eyes
But do you remember less well known ones like:
Greatest Show on Earth
The 'Small Faces' (The LP with the ROUND Cover - "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake"?)
Frank Zappa (and the Mothers of Invention)
The Byrds
Pentangle
Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Tich and
(my absolutely favourite band name...)
Bonzo Dog Doo-dah Band
bounce
LM Radio Top Twenty Countdown on the portable radio squashed between your ear and the pillow on a Sunday night.
Oh, the memories...!!!

study
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre on 29th August 2008, 22:13

Then we had some one (or two) hit wonders such as The Box Tops with The Letter, Norman Greenbaum with the original Spirit in the sky and of course who will ever forget Scott McKenzie with San Francisco (Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair). Some other favourites of mine include Bread, Boston, Chicago, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Def Leppard, The Doors, The Eagles, Marmalade, Percy Sledge, Procal Harem, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, Toto, The Troggs.... Wow, and we are not even in the 80's yet. The memories indeed Exclamation
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveS on 29th August 2008, 22:56

Andre wrote:Let's share some views on our music tastes, our favourate bands and anything that makes life a song Exclamation I'll give a brief intro of mine:
As a 50's kid, I grew up with LM radio (David Davies) on Shortwave 92. It was of course not allowed by my parents so I used to listen to the LM Radio Hit Parade on a Sunday evening under the blankets in my room with a torch Twisted Evil I remember David Davies was suspended for a few weeks for saying on radio "Ladies, if you want babies, use David Davies". We were so conservative in those days Embarassed
Anyway, I developed a wide music taste but as a "baby boomer" from the hippy era, I have a soft spot for Rock & Pop, and later on some heavy Metal Wink Some of my favourite bands are:
Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Queen, Judas Priest, Bad Company, Santana, Black Sabbath, The Who, Uriah Heep, CCR, BeeGees, Beach Boys, Beetles, Rolling Stones, The Monkeys....The list can go on and on. And if you are old enough you may remember our very own SA Pop bands & singers like Mcully Workshop, Three Jacks & a Jill, Gene Rockwell, Omega Ltd, The Staccatos, Des & Dawn Lindberg, Rabbit, The Flames..... Woh, we had some great talent cheers

..and don't forget Ballyhoo who started in the Mcully Workshop era.....nor, dare I say it, one of the most successful SA bands of their time - Rabbitt!! Wink

....and then there was also Manfred Mann...

DaveS
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 1428
My bike : R1200GSA: R1200S(I think - has been annexed by Dorothy): S1000RR
Registration date : 2008-07-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre on 30th August 2008, 15:12

Yep, if you look carefully you will see Rabbit is in my list. They were very much ahead of their time. Trevor Rabin did very well as a solo artist after the Rabbit era and Duncan Faure as far as I know went and joined the Bay City Rollers. Then of course there are other favourites such as The Kinks, Marmalade, Barry Ryan. Now back to SA. Do you remember Quentin E Klopjaeger Question He had a hit with Lazy Life, and Jessica Jones with Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Not to mention Barbara Ray, Lauren Copley and our very own Richard Loring. As I said before, we had outstanding talent then, and now
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H on 30th August 2008, 17:25

(Psst: Can I very quietly name-drop...?)

I actually dated Lauren Copley.
Once.
At Varsity float-building.
We were riding in my Sky Blue VW Beetle 1500 (with the Zoom-tube free flow zortspipe that would pull all the way up to valve bounce in every gear except 4th.) I loved that car! Very Happy

We went to the roadhouse in Lynnwood road and bought some take-away coffee before heading back to float building. Another VW challenged me at the lights and she said what I though was "Do it", so I dragged off down the street when the lights changed...and dumped two polystyrene cups of boiling hot coffee in her lap...! affraid

I never found out what she did say. Rolling Eyes The date ended quickly (understandable) and she never took my calls thereafter.
I could never understand that... scratch
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe on 31st August 2008, 21:31

Eish, I know I will forget some ... I agree with Sharkie's choices and a few from Andre ... Want to add Phil Collins to the list as well ...

Sometimes I will listen to some club/electronic stuff when we really get moving, else something that I can sing along to works best for me
Joe
Joe
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 148
My bike : K1200S Indigo Blue
Registration date : 2008-08-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre on 1st September 2008, 06:54

Richard H wrote:(Psst: Can I very quietly name-drop...?)

I actually dated Lauren Copley.
Once.
Not bad Richard, not everyone can say that they dated a famous singer Exclamation Pity about the hot coffee Embarassed
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre on 1st September 2008, 07:01

Richard H wrote:We were riding in my Sky Blue VW Beetle 1500 (with the Zoom-tube free flow zortspipe that would pull all the way up to valve bounce in every gear except 4th.) I loved that car! Very Happy
I also had a 1968 Red VW Beetle 1500 with a "Bullet" exhaust pipe (four into one) that almost looked like a vuvuzela. Man it made a beautiful noise (no pun intended). Was the hottest (and noisiest) Beetle on the Stellenbosch campus Twisted Evil Wow, Richard, you have brought back some fond memories Very Happy
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sias on 1st September 2008, 11:00

My top 5 favorite bands of ALL TIME are the following (and these I listen to A LOTT!):
METALLICA
THE OFFSPRING
AC/DC
GREEN DAY
GUNS ‘N ROSES

Then there are quite a few more which I listen to while riding:
COAL CHAMBER
DISTURBED
KORN
PAPA ROACH
PRIME CIRCLE
ROB ZOMBIE
The list goes on…

I do not have an ipod YET, so I listen from my cellphone via my Bluetooth earpiece. The battery life of both cellphone and earpiece are not that great so I have never really compiled a list for the long road. Would probably load a bit more laid back songs than the above. But I love the slightly heavy stuff while negotiating my way through traffic (between the office and home). Not too loud though so I can still here what’s going on around me (that’s why I prefer to listen to the old school songs which I know by heart).
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andre on 2nd September 2008, 18:54

Great stuff Sias. My favourite Offspring song is Pretty Fly for a White Guy. Then of course there is Knickleback, another good sound for negotiating the traffic. I have an iPod but I must say that the only way I get good quality sound on the bike is to use my in-ear headphones. Works well but changing or searching for songs is the problem. So playlists or shuffle is the only way. LeRoy had an iPod dock fitted to his LT, so it is an option I am considering Basketball
Andre
Andre
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down