BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

I need technical advice on my R65 please...

4 posters

Go down

I need technical advice on my R65 please... Empty I need technical advice on my R65 please...

Post by hen3 28th March 2010, 20:44

Hi, I have recently bought a nice R65. I need some advice regarding an electrical problem which is bugging me. I'm not very experienced with bikes so I will just give the simptoms I experienced. I replaced the battery and enjoyed trouble free riding for two weeks, but ocasionally noticed a spark from the distributor to the frame when the bike was idleing cold. However the new battery is discharging and is not able to start the bike the next morning. I have determined that the alternator is not faulty because I jump started the bike, let it idle for 10 minutes and drove 3 eventful kilometers after which it started again(but not the next mornig). But after I drove 1 of the 3 kilometers I lost revs despite twisting the throtle and the bike stolled. When I pressed the start button again the rev needle went up to the 1000 mark without the starter turning. I also noticed when I pulled the brake the park light came on instead of the brake light. I switched the ignition off and on again, the generator light stayed off! I pushed the bike and got it going again, drove 2 kilometers, turned it off and succesfully started it again? Ever since this happened the brake light is not working as well as the right indicators. I find myself in unfamilliar waters with this electrical problem and would apreciate any advice. Thanks alot. Hendri ( hen3vdwalt@gmail.com ). Question

hen3
I have to post more . . .

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down

I need technical advice on my R65 please... Empty Re: I need technical advice on my R65 please...

Post by LeRoy Olivier 28th March 2010, 21:35

Would suggest that you take up the matter with Lenny at Bavaria.
LeRoy Olivier
LeRoy Olivier
LT Fanatic

Number of posts : 1394
My bike : K1200LT
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

I need technical advice on my R65 please... Empty Re: I need technical advice on my R65 please...

Post by Mud Pooh-bah 29th March 2010, 16:50

I would rather go to Simon Pilfold at Bavarian East. He is way more clued up on the older bikes, especially on the electrical department. Any auto electrician should be able to help.

This sounds like a short circuit of some kind and it seems that a few fuses blew.

(PS check for rats, the little critters can cause havoc with wiring)
Mud Pooh-bah
Mud Pooh-bah
Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Number of posts : 458
My bike : BMW R1150 GS Adventure, Yamaha WR250F, Suzuki DR200 and counting
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard H 31st March 2010, 18:33

hen3 wrote:I replaced the battery and enjoyed trouble free riding for two weeks, but ocasionally noticed a spark from the distributor to the frame when the bike was idleing cold.

study
Do you not mean the coil sparking to the frame?
Boxer twins do not have a distributor.
The points cause two coils in parallel to fire both cylinders at once - the so-called 'lost spark system'.
One cylinder is on the compression stroke, the other on the exhaust stroke.
When one cylinder isn't firing properly, one of the ways to problem solve is swap the coils.
If the other cylinder stops firing, then the coil is the problem.
If the same cylinder stops firing, then the plug or lead is the problem.

Cool

Reading through the rest of your post, I believe you may have a break in the wiring loom of your bike that is causing short circuits and draining the battery. Only an moto-electrician or electrically informed person could trace it by going through the wires in your headlight one at a time.
Shocked
Richard H
Richard H
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 625
My bike : R1200GS, R100S
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by hen3 6th April 2010, 20:15

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your advice. I have sorted out the doggy indicators and I'm working on the other problems.
Thanks again!!!

hen3

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down