BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» K 1200 GT FOR SALE ASKING R112 000.00 ono
by STEVE 19th November 2010, 13:45

» Three week Bliss
by Corlia 19th July 2010, 09:39

» From the UK - new element found in SA
by DaveS 7th July 2010, 18:53

» Tourmaster Airflow Pants
by Heretic 7th July 2010, 08:02

» Forum lockdown
by Admin 6th July 2010, 22:17

» New website, new forum!
by Marnus 6th July 2010, 20:10

» Who Will Win The Soccer World Cup
by 1150 adventure 4th July 2010, 12:06

» New forum?
by LeRoy Olivier 2nd July 2010, 10:40

» Your favourite photos
by Gert_GS_650 1st July 2010, 06:32

» NEW Clubhouse
by Thomas 30th June 2010, 21:44

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 181 on 10th February 2021, 11:40
Statistics
We have 359 registered users
The newest registered user is Kruger

Our users have posted a total of 17455 messages in 1456 subjects

The original adventure riders (and bikes!)

+3
Sias
GSlady
dakardrix
7 posters

Go down

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Empty The original adventure riders (and bikes!)

Post by dakardrix 17th January 2010, 22:25

From http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29723

"On Thanksgiving Day, as most of America was watching football, the Weber household was sitting around talking about bikes. We started looking though my dad’s old riding photos. These are so great that I had to share some with all of you…

My dad and some friends were Adventure Riders to the hilt back in the 1950’s. Sunday rides were the thing for these guys, with the occasional jaunt to Mexico City or somewhere thrown in for fun. First let’s introduce the characters. Here's the clan filling up for gas somewhere near Fort Collings, CO. We've got them from left to right:
Jerry Francis, 1950 Harley 74
Mike Sadusky, 1950 Harley 74
Warren Weber (my dad), 1950 Harley 74
Wendell Rea, 1942 Harley 45 CI. Notice the front knobby!

I guess the 1950 Harley 74 was 'all that', Just like the GS is (supposedly) these days. Seems pretty popular anyhow...

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Year_1950_Sunday_ride

Here's the 'usual suspects' again taking a morning break on a nice Sunday ride.

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Sunday_ride_Grant_CO

One Sunday ride took 'em to the top of Mount Evans, elevation 14,264. This was back in the day before it was paved all the way to the top. It was, however, paved here if it hadn't been for the snow. I was recently in a similar situation on my Rally Twin coming over Pearl Pass. I thought it was touchy enough, and I didn't have a FOOT CLUTCH!!! Yikes!

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Mount_Evans_road

Yet another 1952 Sunday ride ventured up Arapahoe Pass - it's near Eldora, Colorado and is now all wilderness. Stupid lousy rotten environmental freaks, but I digress… (sigh)

The clan started out from my Dad's house in Wheat Ridge, which is a stone's throw from Golden, CO. They usually left about 8:00 a.m. If you didn't arrive on time, they'd leave you. Hard knocks. They headed up to Boulder, CO and followed the nice, twisty, scenic Boulder Canyon to Nederland. From there they headed through the town of Eldora and up Arapahoe pass.

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Mudding

Now some things never change. There's always that one person in the group that either insists that they absolutely positively know where to go, or that it "not that bad". In this case, the group ended up venturing down this:

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) More_Mud_1952

Turned out that this the wrong way (DUH!). The Harley guys actually let the english bike riders be guinea pigs on this part of the ride. Must've been one of those hot-headed british riding know-it-alls that suggested it in the first place...

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Foot_power_1952

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Slow_Motion_on_BSA_year_1952

After some back tracking and de-mudding operations, they finally found the right trail and made it to the top at 11905 feet elevation. Nice day!

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) My_1952_74CI_top_of_Arapahoe_pass

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Arapahoe_Pass_1953

I also think these guys could've invented the "No Fear" logo. I have fear when it associates a 750 lb hard tail with a stream crossing on a trail. These guys really deserve some respect for being able to pull this off. Or they deserve to be taken away in straight jackets, I'm not really sure.

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Trailing

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) About_to_get_wet_feet_1952_74CI

Not that they didn't dab once or twice. OK, maybe they dabbed about 100 times, but they still made it across. Now it's time to take a break and dry out.

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) After_stream_crossing_drain_boots_1952

Here’s a portrait of my dad taken in 1951, just before the start of a nice ride. Notice the cool stylish apparel. Helmet? I don't need no stinking helmet! Of course, this was pre-head injury days....

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) 50_74CI_Dad

These guys also had a lot of fun just playin’ around. Imagine getting a couple feet (OR MORE!) of air on a 750 HARD-TAIL Harley! This makes you GS-jumpers look like whimps, with your fancy rear suspension and all. Sheesh!

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) 1950_74_CI_Dad

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Mike_1952_K_model_45_CI

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) 50_74CI_Dad_coming_down

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) 52_Harley

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) 50_Harley

But the most insane (read: talented) member of the group in the area of piloting a Harley 74(7) through the air was a fellow named Kenny Erie. If Kenny was alive today and about 50 years younger, I’m sure he’d be one of the top names in freestyle!

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Kenny_going_up

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Kenny_topped_out

These guys weren't shy of riding on a bit of snow, either. Here's Mike Sadusky on his 50 Harley. Man, I really envy this guy's legs. I bet he could straddle the 950 Adventure-S with his knees bent. Me, on the other hand, can't physically touch both toes to the ground at the same time. Mike used to drape his legs over the handle bars to stretch on those long road trips (no joking!). Who needs hiway pegs?

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Mike_2_1950_74s

You’d think these guys would know when to stop. Apparently not…

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Winter_riding

Good thing Mike has those long legs...

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Mike_on_his_1952_KH_45ci

These were taken up by my Dad's cabin on Mt Thorodin. Wanna park, but you're too lazy to put the side stand down? Just cram it in a snow bank and leave it like my dad did. Mike and Kenny are in the process of “parking”.

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) My_1952_74CI_June_of_1953_no_traction

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) My_1954_KH_55CI_going_nowhere

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Kenny_at_cabin

These guys were never short of play time. Once again, Mike's extra long legs save the day. Well, almost.

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) 52_K_model_Mike_lost_it

And again...

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Mike_1950_CI__year_1952

You’re not a real rider unless you can power slide…

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Dad_1952_74_ci

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Kenny_1952_74_ci

And they liked a bit of dirt tracking to boot!

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) 1952_dirt_track_racing

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Race_day

And I have yet to try this one:

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Stupid_trick

So, as it goes on Thanksgiving day you’re supposed to think what you’re thankful for. I’m thankful for my dad being a nutcase in the 1950’s, buying my brother Wayne and I Z-50’s in the 70s, and riding every chance I get with my friends and family!"
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Empty Re: The original adventure riders (and bikes!)

Post by GSlady 17th January 2010, 22:58

Yikes! Awesome!
Yep, cowboys don't cry...
Great post, thanks Drix!
GSlady
GSlady
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 859
My bike : 800GS - now with MUCH more character! Still enjoying every minute!
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Back to top Go down

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Empty Re: The original adventure riders (and bikes!)

Post by Sias 18th January 2010, 09:33

Respect! Surprised
Sias
Sias
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 548
My bike : F650GS Dakar
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Corlia 18th January 2010, 10:54

Baie interessant!! En terselfde tyd lyk dit net skreeu snaaks... Very Happy
Corlia
Corlia
Committee member
Committee member

Number of posts : 335
My bike : Dakar 650 GS Pillion
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Shark 18th January 2010, 12:33

Dankie Drix, awesome fotos!
Sedert 1950 het darem baie verander, nie net die bikes nie, maar veral die riders se gear ook. Dit wil voorkom asof die landskap die enigste is wat wel nie verander het nie, gelukkig! Smile
Maar dit is nogtans great om te weet biking en nogal offroad biking loop al so lank paadjie saam, min dat ons so daaraan dink.
Cool
Shark
Shark
I have to post more . . .

Number of posts : 1
My bike : 2009 BMW F800ST Shampagne
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by tj 18th January 2010, 13:43

Uitstekend is al woorde wat ek het The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Icon_cheers The original adventure riders (and bikes!) Icon_cheers

Wat dit meer besonders maak is dat hierdie Hard Tail Harleys nie vering op die agterwiele het nie. Hulle was ook baie moeilik om op die pad te hou, as jy bv op spoed oor 'n hobbel gaan... die hele fiets spring saam!

Hierdie manne was kunstenaars op fietse

Weereens Uitstekend!!
tj
tj
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 674
My bike : K1300GT
Registration date : 2008-06-02

http://www.maree.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by DROOGie 18th January 2010, 23:35

Nou weet ons waar kom Drix aan al sy streke! jocolor

..... Aarkie na sy Vaarkie...... !!!.... ??

Last edited by DROOGie on 20th January 2010, 01:56; edited 1 time in total
DROOGie
DROOGie

Number of posts : 9
My bike : DAai KAR
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by dakardrix 19th January 2010, 09:45

DROOGie wrote:Nou weet ons waar kom Drix aan al sy steke! jocolor

..... Aarkie na sy Vaarkie...... !!!.... ??

Watse steke...!? Suspect

Dis nie my fadamily nie.

Alhoewel my ma op 71 nog steeds vra om agter op die bike te ry... sy vertel vir almal wat wil en nie wil hoor van hoe ek in my prulle jeug haar agter op my Suzuki scrambler gelaai het en ons in die veld oor jumps gevlieg het! bounce
dakardrix
dakardrix
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Number of posts : 608
My bike : F800GS
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down